Missing Folic Acid

scaredmama1

Reaction score
Please no rude posts as I am having a hard enough time with this.

I am 15 weeks pregnant, I just noticed that my prenatal vitamin does not contain folic acid. I made a mistake and have not been taking folic acid throughout my pregnancy thus far. I am so worried that something will be wrong, I am just sick over this. Has anyone NOT taken folic acid this far into pregnancy, what was the outcome. I am devastated

I’ve only been taking a prenatal for the last 2-3 weeks and I’m now about 10 weeks. So not quite as long, however, if your diet is rich in folate containing foods like leafy green vegetables, asparagus, broccoli, avocado, citrus etc then I think you’re safe. I prefer to get folate (folic acid is the synthetic version of folate) through foods and use vitamins as a safety net. My last pregnancy my midwife told me I didn’t need a prenatal because of my eating style. Also, better late than never. If you’re worried definitely start now and also talk to your doctor. Wishing you a happy and healthy remainder of your pregnancy!

I hope that didn’t come off as rude as it’s not my intention.

Wow I can't imagine a prenatal that has neither folic acid or folate. But ether way, I'm sure you'll be fine. Babies have been coming out perfect way before prenatal vitamins were a thing, and I'm sure yours will be no different.

:hugs: Moral of the story, don't beat yourself up about it.

I’m sure folic acid is mostly important in the first 12 weeks, so as long as your 12w scan showed no abnormalities I wouldn’t panic! :) :hugs:

Thanks we actually had a scan at around 8 weeks for dating purposes and another scan coming up at 20 weeks

That's really strange that your vitamins doesn't contain folic acid. Are you sure? It's the most important vitamin in first trimester. But I'm sure that your baby is fine. When you doesn' t take folid acid it doesn't mean that your baby won't be healthy. There is only slightly greater chance.

Are you sure it's not listed as folate? Bizarre to think there would be a prenatal vitamin without it. But try not to worry, so many people get so far into their pregnancies (sometimes all the way to labour) before knowing they are even expecting and usually have healthy happy babies despite no vitamins, drinking alcohol, smoking etc.

If it makes you feel better, my sister is currently 17 weeks pregnant with a baby she didn't find out about until just 5 weeks ago! So she went her entire first trimester not knowing she was pregnant.. therefore never took a single prenatal. She had her first trimester screening and Baby seems completely healthy!

Try not to worry so much. It was an honest mistake. :hugs:

Many grains and cereals are also fortified with folate for cases just like this. But I second what the others are saying; are you certain your vitamin doesn't contain folic acid? Even regular women's vitamins have extra folic acid (often in the form of folate) because any woman of child-bearing age could become pregnant.

With my second I didn’t take any folic acid until 9 weeks as i didn’t know I was pregnant. I have to take a much higher than normal dose(normal is 40micrograms, I take 5 milligrams) due to family history of spina bifida. And my son is just fine

Food acid can be found in foods too, so you might be getting some when you eat too.

I’ll be honest I took my vitamins for only a few weeks and then my nausea was just so bad I couldn’t bare taking them as I’d feel even worse!

I know a few people who didn’t find out they were pregnant until a few months in so obviously they missed the part when they advise folic acid, and their babies are fine xxx

I also couldn't swallow any tabs during my first trimester, they made me sick. I used to take them once in 3 days. I'm also praying all is well. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->