mistaken for a girl?

OmarsMum

Reaction score
Anyone with a 5 yrs old who still got mistaken for a girl? Today I went to an exhibition, I was offered girly pjs for my little girl, then crochet dress from a different stand :wacko:

He was in jeans and grey jumper with blue prints :dohh:

His hair is not long, his fringe is a bit long, his haircut is not too short but I wont consider his hair as long or girly.

It doesn't bother me but it irritates him :shrug:

Wish I had a better answer than cutting his hair. TBH he doesn't look girly to me but I know he is a boy. There is something about kids up to the age of 7 have gender neutral faces so people are completely reliant on hair style and clothes for the gender clues.

Maybe ask him why it bothers him that he's mistaken for a girl sometimes? And explain to him that girls and boys are equally special and can all the same things so people do struggle to tell all children apart, it isn't just him. If it really bugs him maybe offer to cut his hair but if you do then really emphasise that there is nothing wrong with being a girl/being mistaken for a girl.

My son had that until he was 6 or so. He has a lovely face, thick light hair and pretty blue eyes. Other than buzzing his hair when he was younger, there was nothing I could have done to make him more boy-ish looking. I usually kept his hair a little longer.

IMO, some people are just clueless and there's nothing you can do about it. Somebody called Avery a boy the other week while wearing a girly (not pink or purple though) outfit and pigtails. Maybe it was the grey sweatshirt jacket, but even that is sparkly and has a ruffled hood.

Since it upsets your son, tell him those people need glasses if they can't see he's a boy. Really, it's their problem if they can't tell the difference on an older child dressed like a boy. My DD very much knows she is a girl and would be offended to be called a boy. She didn't hear the guy call her a boy the other week.

Jacob still gets called a girl all the time. I don't think he pays any attention and he doesn't want his hair cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->