mixing BLW and purees

trish1200

Reaction score
I'm quite nervous about weaning David, I would like to mix both BLW and some purees. I need advice please! 4 weeks to go :wacko:

I hadn't heard of BLW when I started to wean Amelia. But now I've read up on it I have found that I have done a lot of it anyway, just not the "pure" version. I started weaning a little over 18 weeks and started off giving a small amount of baby rice and progressed onto vegetable puree's. From 5 months I have allowed her to have finger foods such as broccoli and cauliflower spears, cooked carrot, courgette, sweet potato sticks. When I moved her on to meats, cheese and fish I have allowed her to use her fingers to feed herself and also given her a spoon. I find that when I spoon feed her (which I do for at least 1 meal a day as she's a bit of a slim jim) I have to give her a bread stick, rice cake, other piece of finger food or her own bowl and spoon.

She's a very happy little eater and will try and eat everything I have given her, even if she is not particularly keen (as with salmon). She does however love to get herself in a right ole mess, which luckily I find the cutest thing ever!

If you are doing "true" BLW, you don't really mix the two. But you can do a mix of finger foods and purees. I would offer the finger foods the same way you would if you BLW fully. In which case, get the BLW book by Gill Rapley and read it. It will give you all the info you need about how to offer finger foods and what to do -- and just as importantly what NOT to do. :)

We started by offering puree and finger foods. We just have some puree in the freezer as i made a batch and we will give it to our LO, but he doesn't let us feed him. So you could try puree's and just load the spoon for your LO? That's what we did with it, load the spoon and he feeds it himself. Always give him a finger food alongside. Things like rice cakes are good for dipping, so you can spread some puree on that and let your Lo suck it off there?

we mixed puree's and finger food for maddi and for us, it's worked amazingly, she eat's everything and i'm really proud of her she eats :D
we started at 6.5, and did it very slowly (as she had been ill) two weeks of baby rice, followed by pureed carrot for 3 days, then 3 days of apple. from then on we gradually built it up by offering puree's and mixing with finger foods, such as vegs, fruit and rusk. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"