Mobile epidurals question

Angel21

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Hi ladies...I hope you don't mind me migrating over here from second tri, but I have a quick question.

Did any of you ladies have a mobile epidural during labour? I would love to have a natural birth, with tens and birth pool, but am aware that things may not always be as expected, and it is my first birth, so I really have no idea of what it to come....The thought of pethadine etc making me feel sick and out of control just isn't appealing, and I've heard good things about the relief that an epi can bring, but don't fancy the full on works, with some of the things that could follow that, such as forceps etc.

So, back to my original question (after my waffling!).....Anyone had a mobile epidural and how was it? thank you :hugs:

I've never had one but my understanding about a mobile epi is that it's about the same as a normal one except you can feel your legs, I'm pretty sure that you still can't walk around and that you still need a catheter.

I had a mobile epi, it was great but slowed labour right down, i was in labour for 29 hours and had to be put on a hormone drip to get things moving, i only accepted the epi after 9 hours of labour because i really couldnt take it anymore, I had to let it wear off for pushing due to health reasons (internal rotated hips) and this was the worst. But normally you can push still with epi :) My lil man got stuck so i had forceps but that was cause of hips not because of epi.

If i went through it again i would choose an epi again if i got to the point i coudlnt take it any more.

I could walk around with mobile epi, they say sometimes it can still numb you so you have to be careful, but i had full use of me legs and peeing etc. I was encouraged to walk the corridors to help move things along. But i had to pee every 30mins for them so they could check it still working otherwise i would have been cathertored *sp* They provided a birthing ball so i spent about 6 hours bouncing and walking, everytime i needed a top up (about every hr) i had to come back and they would monitor babay for 15mins and contractions and bp. Once i was put on hormone drip then i was bed ridden because of this, which was the worst bit as i got so swollen from sitting still you could barely see my toes etc.

Hope this helps XxX

I had a mobile epidural which I could also top up myself with a little button, but everytime I pushed the button within minutes I was sick. I could feel people touching my legs but still couldn't stand up. I didn't have a catheter and quite quickly after the birth, when I new it was safe to stop pushing the button, the epidural wore off and I could walk around.

I would recommend it, although it wasn't what I wanted for my birth it was the best option for me and baby at the time.

I had a mobile epidural as well, but mine sped up my labour! I was induced though, and I dialated 3cm in 4 hours with the gel, they broke my water and then gave me the epidural and then 2 hours later I had dialated another 4cm. It can either speed things up or slow them down and there isn't any way of knowing until you're in the thick of it.

I loved my epidural, there's no way I would have survived without it. If I could have hugged the epidural machine, I would have. That being said, it's not for everyone. I was only frozen from my mid-thigh up to just above my bump. It was AMAZING. I don't regret it at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->