Mommy anxiety during kids illness

mommy0629

SAHM of 2
Reaction score
Hello. My 9 year old is sick with the flu today and 18 month old had the same thing about 5 days ago. I am over the edge with anxiety!! My husband is helping and I know that the kids will be fine, but I can't shake the feeling of panic. I do have anxiety issues that have been REALLY bad in the past (starting right after my now 9 year old had a stomach bug at age 4), but it's been very much under control for quite a few years now. I'm also a bit of a germaphob, so illness in general triggers my otherwise dormant anxiety. When it's my kids though, I feel like I'm loosing it!

Amy I alone in this? If you can relate, how do you cope? I'm taking xanax and drinking herbal "tension tamer" blend tea, but I'm still having a really hard time coping :(

I'm a germaphobe and have anxiety, too. I get this way over germs and chemicals. I go a long time feeling okay, and then something sets it off. I can't take an anti-anxiety med because I haven't weaned our one-year-old yet. He got really sick and the doctor told me the only reason he didn't get really dehydrated is because I was breastfeeding... so I won't wean until the end of flu season.

I know this post is pretty old but I thought I'd reply anyway since this is exactly what I'm like.

I always had a little anxiety over the usual sort of stuff - meeting new people, job interviews etc. but since my daughter has been born it's been crazy. It only gets absolutely out of control when she's sick though. She had the flu last week and I was so nervous, having all kinds of awful intrusive thoughts. I want to run away by myself when she's ill as I can't cope, at the same time I just want to hold her so she feels safe.

I can't offer any advice, unfortunately, but you're definitely not alone. I have told myself numerous times that I'm not cut out to be a mum because of this anxiety, unfortunately my daughter has been hospitalised a couple of times and it was utterly overwhelming. I think the main thing is to just keep calm in front of them, I'm so aware of passing my anxiety on to my daughter that I try to keep cool when she's around. Big hugs, I know exactly how you feel :hugs: Hope your son/daughter is all better by now

I used to. But, my daughter was always sick in the hospital, so maybe that is why. My youngest is very healthy so I am less so. I have a smidgen of anxiety too....but, it is getting better in that category anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->