Mom's of kids with ADHD.. need some advice

EmeraldD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I need some advice on meds for kids with ADHD. After a couple years of testing and all that we just got a diagnosis for my 9 (almost 10) yr old daughter. She has ADHD and Aspergers syndrome. The child psychiatrist is recommending a mediation called Concerta, and while I can see many of the benefits this will have for my daughter I'm also very worried about putting her on medication. A lot of the ADHD symptoms are a part of her personality, she is very talkative and outgoing, I'm afraid that the meds will change her personality. I know she talks too much, and can be disruptive in school. But at the same time all those things are a part of who she is. I guess I'm just really apprehensive that the medication will make my little girls different, and she has now an amazingly kind and wonderful personality. Any advice from other moms who's kids have been on medication would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

So I dont have any experience with children with ADHD but I personally was diagnosed with it at about age 5 or 6. I was put on adderall. Anyways I dont personally think that it changed my personality. I was taken off of it at about age ten ( due to family not understanding that I need it and wouldnt give me any when I was visting for over a month) and chose to put myself back on at age 16. I would say that your daughter may talk less, but if she is kind and likes to talk to people that should not change when on the medication. If it does I would ask to try another medication.

Thanks for your reply. I guess if she talks less that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. At the moment she talks almost non stop. Even when asked to stop or be quiet, she will get quieter but doesn't seem to be able to physically stop talking for more than a minute or so. I'm just worried I guess, being talkative and bubbly and outgoing are things that define her. If the medication is going to suppress those personality traits then who will she be? Thats what scares me the most. But I do recognize that she may need the medication to succeed in school, as it is she is averaging a B, A in some classes. But the psychiatrist thinks with medication she could do even better, she also has Aspergers syndrome so her IQ is fairly high, she just can't focus enough to bring it out. Anyways, thanks for listening to me rant. I appreciate it. :)

This is kind of late, but my 7 year old also has ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and a slow working memory. I was also apprehensive about medications. All I had heard since I brought up that we were having him tested was not to put him on meds. That meds would turn him into a zombie. Nothing could be further from the truth! If anything, it has helped his natural abilities and personality shine all the more. You may have to experiment and tweek a little bit at first to get it exactly right, but once you do, it will be well worth it!

my daughter was also diagnosed at 9 and put on meds but after 2 months of taking them she she just stopped and now refuses to take them saying they wear off too quickly not sure what to make of it.

Hey. My son has both ADHD and aspergers. They want to medicate but the risks are too many for me. I would rather deal with his very challenging behaviour than risk the what ifs of medication. I also am a little sceptical of the ADHD diagnosis with the condition being very similar to aspergers, with meds not being beneficial to aspergers, id rather not use my son as a test for if it will work or not :)

Hi there.

I cant help you as I have no experience with that medication. I know in the UK they dont offer meds as much. I personally chose to have my son put on an occupational therapy programme instead of meds as I believe ADHD is a sensory issue. It has helped so much but needs about 6mths to show improvement. Have they offered any alternative therapy?

If you do decide to go for meds then keep a diary of food habits and behaviours so you can keep an eye on things x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->