More water questions...

P

petal040

Inspired by the other water thread...

I have read in various places that once LO starts having solids she should also have some water - presumably with her meal? How much should she have?

Also - if further down the line she drops milk feeds - should these be replaced with water? How do I know if she is a bit dehydrated or not?

Is it possible to give too much water?

Is tap water okay after 6 months?

Hi hun, I can only say what I do with Poppy - hopefully someone will advise you of the guidelines!!

I have read in various places that once LO starts having solids she should also have some water - presumably with her meal? How much should she have? I offer Poppy fresh water with each meal, usually at the end of the meal so she doesn't fill up on it as she likes it but sometimes in the middle too if she's eating something quite dry. She has a free-flow sippy cup that she really likes and I just let her take as much as she wants as she has already had her milk before her solids. She sometimes takes a little too much but she this just comes back in "spit up" :dohh:

Also - if further down the line she drops milk feeds - should these be replaced with water? How do I know if she is a bit dehydrated or not? Not sure about the dropping feeds hun, I think when they drop feeds you start to offer water throughout the day so whenever lo is thirsty they can just have a drink but hopefully someone with an older baby will be able to say for sure. I think dehydration shows through not having enough wet nappies and sometimes very hard stools. With Poppy it also shows in her colouring in her face (usually when she is poorly she'll become a little dehydrated cos she isn't keeping as much fluid down and she looks pasty and bags under the eyes. Again - hopefully someone will give you the textbook answer!!

Is it possible to give too much water? Hmmmmm not sure!

Is tap water okay after 6 months? They say that after 6 months you can just give tap water. I still boil and filter my water as I won't drink the tap water over here (lots of limescale in it) so I definitely wouldn't give it to her!!

Hope that helps hun :hugs: xx

I dont think you should replace all of the milk feeds with water. We give connah water with every meal. he will have his food then he drinks from his cup himself so he knows when hes had enough.... he will also spit water out if he has had enough so i think your LO will let you know.xx

I'll just tell you what we do.

I fill a doidy cup with water for every meal and it's particularly important to offer it whenever they have proteins. She just has as much she wants.

I don't replace her milk feeds with water but if I remember I try to offer some water in between meals - usually she'll just take a couple of sips.

We went through a couple of days where Aisling refused all liquids and the HV told me that as long as their mouths are moist, then they're not dehydrated, not sure if this is right but it's what I'm doing.

I'm not sure if it is possible for them to have too much water but I certainly wouldn't expect her to take as much wateras she would milk, or anything close to it.

Normal tap water is fine after 6 months :thumbup:

Thanks - I've been offering her some water in a sippy cup at mealtimes and I think she has a few mouthfuls. I'm worried because she only really drinks from me. I wonder if I used the same cup for milk and water if that would confuse her - so am using different cups for different liquids - maybe that's a bad idea I dunno?

I guess as long as she's having some then it's okay?

I might go back to the doidy. Sigh. I dunno. Trying to get her to drink is hard :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->