Morning Sickness STARTING in 2nd Trimester??

peach81

Mom of 1, growing #2
Reaction score
Hello ladies. I'm almost 19 weeks, and I had a really easy first trimester. I I didn't get a smidge of any morning sickness whatsoever, so I naturally thought that I was in the clear being that I'm safely in the second trimester. Then, this morning, I had my first (and hopefully only) bout of nausea and full-on vomiting. No triggers whatsoever; it just came out of nowhere. Has anyone ever heard of nausea/vomiting starting in the second trimester?

If you've made it this far and feel better now, I'm wondering if it is a virus or something you ate? I've heard of morning sickness starting later, but if you're feeling better now I'm more likely to guess that you just caught a bug. I hope you feel better!

If you've made it this far and feel better now, I'm wondering if it is a virus or something you ate? I've heard of morning sickness starting later, but if you're feeling better now I'm more likely to guess that you just caught a bug. I hope you feel better!

I don't think it's a bug. I would think that typical gastroenteritis comes with plenty of stomach trouble and other symptoms. I've had none of that. It was a wave of nausea that come over me from out of the blue which caused me to heave, just like your average garden variety morning sickness. And I hadn't eaten anything yet at the time. And as quickly as it came over me, it was just over.

I always have to eat something first thing in the morning or I get sick. I'm a few days behind you (18w5d)! Hopefully that will help ease it :)

Got nauseous again this morning, but didn't throw up this time. Only lasted a few minutes and, once again, nothing triggered it. I guess this is my new normal for a little while.

Again, I've never heard of morning sickness starting in the second trimester. I thought hormone levels were supposed to level off around this time, which is why nausea typically goes away. :huh:

It can happen. My midwife said it's very uncommon but she has had a few ladies over the years where it suddenly started in the second tri! Mine carried on well into the second tri (20 weeks for bad sickness and 28 weeks for it to really pass) which all the books and guides say shouldn't happen! In theory your hormones drop 12-14 weeks and it stops. But sadly not for everyone!

Hopefully it may just be a phase, your hormones do fluctuate through pregnancy so maybe you are just a bit sensitive too them at the mo for some reason! Could be worth speaking to your midwife/doc though if you are worried!

It can happen. My midwife said it's very uncommon but she has had a few ladies over the years where it suddenly started in the second tri!

How positively annoying. And here I thought I had been pretty lucky! lol

Hopefully it may just be a phase, your hormones do fluctuate through pregnancy so maybe you are just a bit sensitive too them at the mo for some reason! Could be worth speaking to your midwife/doc though if you are worried!

Oh I'm not worried, just surprised. And, all things considered, it's still not nearly as bad as what some women have to go through. It seems to only happen for a few minutes in the morning. It's not affected by what I eat or smell, so it's not like I'm having problems keeping food down.

Update: it may not have been morning sickness after all. I started to suspect my prenatal vitamins (which are the same ones I've been taking since before I was pregnant) might be the culprit. So I decided to hold off on taking my dose this morning and, so far, I've had no nausea.

No one advised me to change my prenatal and I didn't read anywhere that it could help with morning sickness -- but when I just so happen to change mine to a plant-based one, it made a HUGE difference in my morning sickness.

And to respond to your original question, sort of, my morning sickness started at 5 weeks and kept going until around 18, but in my second trimester it changed from being sick all day, to just being (very) sick in the evenings. Who knows with these things?

Hope you're finding relief.

I've also had this, midwife said it's not likely to last but it could do.. tea seems to help mine.

With both of my pregnancies I was severly nauseous in the first trimester, but the vomiting didn't come until second trimester, around 13/14 weeks. I had daily vomiting until about 20-25 weeks or so, and then intermittent vomiting for the rest of the pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->