Moses basket / cot

m.knight

Reaction score
So we have picked up a nice Moses basket for free from freecycle, but have also got a cot. Is there any point in using a Moses basket or can I just put the cot in our room and have baby in that?

My thoughts on it are that if baby has ALWAYS slept in the cot and only the cot, then (s)he may associate cot with sleep. Instead of having to change after a few weeks or months.

What are your thoughts, or experiences?

I have a swinging crib for upstairs in my room and a Moses basket for down stairs, as I don't want to be up and down stairs every time she falls asleep, plus she is close by.

I have a cot for her room but its a full size cot/bed which she won't be going into for some months x

We had the moses downstairs and the cot upstairs... comes in handy to have something downstairs :)

We've got the carry cot from the pram for downstairs, just wondering if with that, and th cot upstairs I actually need to other with a Moses basket. Will a new born sleep ok in a cot?

Honestly, it won't make any difference. Babies don't associate a certain space with sleep at that age. They will be most comfortable and likely to sleep either in your arms or next to you, but apart from that, I'd just use whatever is most convenient at the time. Personally, I hated the moses basket. I think we maybe put her in it for 3 times ever for about 20 minutes each. It was just awkward. Now it's a basket for storing her toys! I won't even bother with the next baby. Of course, we also don't use a cot (only for naps here and there). For us, bedsharing worked best (that was always the plan, but we had a moses basket for downstairs). Frankly, I'd just use whatever works best for you and whatever you can get closest to your bed and that allows you easy access without having to get up out of bed too much. That would probably be the moses basket, but you can always wait and see how it goes. Just because you don't start using the cot right away doesn't mean your LO won't sleep in it well one day.

LO slept in the cot since birth. We didn't get a Moses basket. She does sleep in the cot part of her pram in other parts of the house sometimes during the day. A few times the the pram has been in the car when I wanted it so if I had a Moses basket I might have used it a few times but I liked using the cot at night. It is a cot that has two levels so that the matteress can be raised up high when they are small. Bending over to lift a newborn out of a deep cot would be awkward. I intended to put her to sleep on her back but she had a lot of mucus in her lungs the first couple of days that made her choke so the MW suggested I put her to sleep on her side between two roled up towels. She loved the towels as they made her feel secure and she is still sleeping like that.

If it was a choice between buying the two I would pick a crib as it will last longer. As it happens we have both, I use the crib in the bedroom but Moses in lounge or if we go out for the day to someone's house ie my mums or family. Ie for christmas I will be taking the moses with to my family so we can settle her when we are there all day x

Thanks guys. I think we're going to skip the Moses basket and just use the cot. We have both already, but may keep the basket in the cupboard in case it is needed.

We have a cot for upstairs which will be assembled in our room then moved to the nursery when he goes into his own room and a moses basket for downstairs. Our pram also has a carry-cot with it but this will only be used when we are visiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->