Mothers With Disability & Mental Illness

TupeloHoney

Reaction score
I'm hoping to start a group for other women coping with disability or mental illness who are also going through parenthood (or are planning to.) I want to create a comfortable place to talk about triumphs, fears, woes, frustrations... For a multitude of challenges.

I know, for certain, that having autism certainly makes me question about my potential as a parent, someday.

i have bi-polar disorder, i was only diagnosed around 6 months ago but would have been suffering since about 10-11 xx

i have a few mental issues (depression, OCD, ADHD, severe anxiety, personality disorder etc) and also severe scoliosis and arthritis.

Expecting my first, and I understand the doubts about being a good mum.

Thanks for starting such a lovely thread..

I have alot of problems coping with anxiety - for me, it goes in hand with my ASD. I get overwhelmed so easily, over nothing and everything. I get both over and under stimulated. I also have to consider about how I'll maintain a relationship with the potential father, when the time comes, because I've never been an easy person to get along (though I never know quite why.) I get worried about not being able to take proper care of myself when I have an infant who needs me even more.

I've actually been concerned about my scoliosis, when it comes to childbirth. I had a moderate S-shaped curve which was treated with a Boston brace. Does your doctor have any concerns about your pregnancy, in relation to having scoliosis?

On another note, I'm glad to hear to hear a response from all of you! I can only hope that more of us will join the conversation.

Artritis, epilepsy, depression and BPD.

We're TTC atm and i can assure you it's actually doing my health some good.

For those expecting or already with children, how do you cope with your condition? Are there any strategies you use for yourself or your children?

Moms-to-be, what are your greatest concerns about being a mother with a disability?

I have borderline personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, depression, anxiety, and ADHD. I am also a mommy of a 3 year old and a 2 year old, with another on the way.

I didn't actually get diagnosed with most of it until my first two kids were already born, but I've been treated for depression for about 7 years and I was originally (mis)diagnosed as bi-polar, so I was treated for that for about 5-6 years. I went in to get a proper diagnosis early this year, in March.

As for coping, in all honestly, I'm not sure how I do. It's just something that was extremely important to me and I somehow found an "inner strength" that helps me deal with everything. I know that sounds really cliche, but that's the best way to describe it.

If it's any reassurance, even my psychiatrist is amazed that I am able to cope so well with my kids and am able to control myself so well around them. It's just something about being a mom that makes me so much more aware of everything I say, do, and think. And I'm sure it's the same thing for a lot of mothers. :flower:

I'm really, really glad that you made this thread. I've never really talked much about being a mother with mental illness, or really my mental illnesses at all, so this has been nice for me. :hugs:

Hey, I have severe arthritis, pgp, osteochondritis, and am under going tests for autoimmune issues. I think no matter how tired or in pain i am, i remind myself how lucky i am to have these babies, and how important it is that they develop well rounded. I find something positive about each day (if i can !) so as not to wish it away...as i am aware of how quickly they are growing, and sn they will become independant. Also chores can wait! Happy mummy, and babies is all that counts!xxx

Alright, I'm throwing another question out at 'cha: Are any of you single parents?

Alright, I'm throwing another question out at 'cha: Are any of you single parents?

I'm not. I've been in a relationship with my OH for almost 4 1/2 years now. We're actually getting married next month. :thumbup:

I do have to take care of the kids on my own a lot now, though. My OH is gone for 6 days at a time at his job and then only gets 2 days at home with us. It was really hard for all of us to adjust because before he got the job he's at now, we all lived together.

Nope not single here, marrying my fiance in March next year :thumbup:

no, I'm engaged (but no signs of a wedding just yet lol) x

One of my scariest problems is that I have suicidal tendancies. In the last year alone, I've been in in-patient twice. I'm afraid of being a poor mother or scaring my children if I continue to have these problems. I also get concerned when I think about my emotional immaturity and sensory issues, as I get overwhelmed easily. I used to teach pre-school, though, and was pretty good about keeping my cool around the kids. But I wonder if I could handle it 24/7, as a parent.

What are your greatest challenges or worries?

Heya, I have aspergers and AD/HD and it does worry me sometimes when considering TTC but I've had my nephews around and have a wonderful hubby so I try to be hopeful :)

I have bi-polar disorder. I was diagnosed 2 years ago after I had a manic episode, which I don't remember but my family told me about everything that went on during the episode. I haven't had any episodes since. When I was diagnosed they put me on a lot of different medications and then i decided to stop taking them. Sometimes I can tell when something about myself is not right and I just tell my fiance and he helps me get through it. I don't know if its hereditary or not because my grandfather had it also. But sometimes I am afraid that I might pass it to my child/children or one day out of nowhere I will have another episode.
Is anyone else have Bipolar Disorder and feel the same way?

I have bi-polar disorder. I was diagnosed 2 years ago after I had a manic episode, which I don't remember but my family told me about everything that went on during the episode. I haven't had any episodes since. When I was diagnosed they put me on a lot of different medications and then i decided to stop taking them. Sometimes I can tell when something about myself is not right and I just tell my fiance and he helps me get through it. I don't know if its hereditary or not because my grandfather had it also. But sometimes I am afraid that I might pass it to my child/children or one day out of nowhere I will have another episode.
Is anyone else have Bipolar Disorder and feel the same way?

I don't have bi-polar, but I do worry about passing on autism to my children.

One of my scariest problems is that I have suicidal tendancies. In the last year alone, I've been in in-patient twice. I'm afraid of being a poor mother or scaring my children if I continue to have these problems. I also get concerned when I think about my emotional immaturity and sensory issues, as I get overwhelmed easily. I used to teach pre-school, though, and was pretty good about keeping my cool around the kids. But I wonder if I could handle it 24/7, as a parent.

What are your greatest challenges or worries?

My greatest worry is that my children will end up with something I have. I would never, ever want that for them.

However, it does reassure me some that if they were to end up with one (or more) of the same problems I have that I would 1. be able to "catch" it quicker because I can recognize symptoms and 2. be able to relate to and help them more because I know exactly what they're going through.

:( MW did a pre-natal depression test with me and I have prenatal depression, a high risk of PND as well just to top off my other multitude of problems. Lovely :nope:

:( MW did a pre-natal depression test with me and I have prenatal depression, a high risk of PND as well just to top off my other multitude of problems. Lovely :nope:

:hugs:

Have they talked to you about your options for managing depression while you're pregnant? I know there are some anti-depressants you can take while pregnant, if it's an option you'd consider.

She's referred me to mental health, so I go see them tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->