Multiple issues

kalyrra

Reaction score
Boy, after having 1 child that I've already breast fed, I figured this 2nd time around would be a piece of cake!

I think I'm battling a plugged duct or possible early mastitis. My left breast was hard and tender, and I woke up with severe chills and a fever. I still have a fever this morning, but the breast isn't as full as it was, albeit still tender.

I also have dry, cracked/split nipples. Can these happen even if latch is okay?

Lastly...the other night, I got up to nurse my LO and got dizzy and nauseated. I headed for the bathroom and blacked out before I got there. Has anyone else had issues like this? Low blood sugar, maybe?

mastitis can cause fainting. If you don't see any improvement soon I would go to the doctor as you may need meds to help.
Nurse as often as you can and if you know where the plug is then get into whatever position you need so that your LO's chin is pointing towards the plugged duct. Even if that means laying LO on the floor and getting on all fours so you can do that.
Use Lanisoh lanolin for the cracks.

Definitely sounds like mastitis - if you have a fever and chills it is infected mastitis. You should see a dr about getting AB's. Don't battle on too much past the point you are at. I ended up in hospital with severe mastitis and was so sick they thought I had sepsis. Fortunately I didn't have sepsis or an abscess but was stuck in hospital for over a week with it. It was horrible.

When you have an infection your milk supply will drop to prevent agitation of the swollen tissue.

Dry/cracked nipples can happen at the start without any latching problems, but if they are severe or fail to heal then you should consider a mechanical problem (lip tie or tongue tie) or a latching problem.

If you are not into AB's (each to their own) try high doses of live probiotics to help, along with massage, hot and cold compresses, different positions for feeding (this will help heal your nipples too).

Massage from the areola out to the lump and then around the outside of the lump inwards. Your areola might feel congested too so concentrate on that area to make sure you can get flow through when you are feeding. Hot compress before (massage and) feed and cool compress afterwards to reduce swelling. Lots of rest and lots of water.

It's definitely mastitis. My whole breast is red (like a sunburn) now. The doc office was able to get me in, and prescribed some AB's. Hopefully it will clear up quickly. To say it's uncomfortable is a gross understatement. :haha:

Thanks, ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->