Multiple Mature Follicles ..

Baby4MeRenee

Reaction score
I was put on Femara for the first time. Never used anything else, but just needed something to help get pregnant. I was prescribed 5mg and my ultrasound was Tuesday. They found multiple mature follicles and was told to abstain from intercourse or use protective due to chance of higher-number multiples. Anyone else had this same situation? If so, did you listen to the doctor's advice or still BD'd without or protection? And did you end up pregnant with multiples? Just looking for advice ...

I've never been in this situation but if they see more than 2, I would imagine it's because of the health risks to you and the babies. Being pregnant with more than 2 babies at a time really increases the risk of premature birth along with many okther complications. I'm not a Dr, and I've only ever been pregnant with singletons, so my information could be incorrect.

I've never been in this situation but if they see more than 2, I would imagine it's because of the health risks to you and the babies. Being pregnant with more than 2 babies at a time really increases the risk of premature birth along with many okther complications. I'm not a Dr, and I've only ever been pregnant with singletons, so my information could be incorrect.
That's exactly what my doc said. She said twins pregnancies are already high risks but anything past that is a higher risk. Just nervous at this point.

Hi....I had an injectable cycle that was cancelled due to my e2 being 1850 with several mature follicles. I believe my follicle sizes were 17, 17, 16, 16, 15 and 14 two days before they told me to cancel.

I ended up doing a half shot of the trigger just to make sure I could ovulate as many as possible and we did timed intercourse at home. I got a BFN 12 days later and AF right on time. I think when you have that many there's no way to know for sure if they all grew a mature egg inside (unless you did IVF and the follicle was aspirated). Depending on your age, if you were fine with the possibility of a multiples pregnancy and other factors, it would make your decision.

I should also add that the follicles that did not rupture during that cycle turned into cysts which burst months later during a chemical pregnancy and it was a horrific time for me. I say that to say that if you don't get the trigger shot there's no guarantee that you will ovulate any of them or even more than 1. It's a risky gamble.

How many of your follicles were mature and what size?

Hi....I had an injectable cycle that was cancelled due to my e2 being 1850 with several mature follicles. I believe my follicle sizes were 17, 17, 16, 16, 15 and 14 two days before they told me to cancel.

I ended up doing a half shot of the trigger just to make sure I could ovulate as many as possible and we did timed intercourse at home. I got a BFN 12 days later and AF right on time. I think when you have that many there's no way to know for sure if they all grew a mature egg inside (unless you did IVF and the follicle was aspirated). Depending on your age, if you were fine with the possibility of a multiples pregnancy and other factors, it would make your decision.

I should also add that the follicles that did not rupture during that cycle turned into cysts which burst months later during a chemical pregnancy and it was a horrific time for me. I say that to say that if you don't get the trigger shot there's no guarantee that you will ovulate any of them or even more than 1. It's a risky gamble.

How many of your follicles were mature and what size?
Their sizes were 18, 16, 14 13.5 left side and a 14 on the right. And I'm under the age of 30. Sorry for the late response

Okay so your 18 is the lead follicle so that's good, and technically only the 18 is mature. The 16 is close behind, but the rest are not big enough to indicate a fully mature follicle. That being said, the 18 could more than likely starve out the rest of the ones on your left ovary, but if the 16 has enough juice it might catch up to maturity by the time you ovulate, though I don't necessarily think it would.

Without knowing you e2 it's not possible to know how many of those follicles are actually mature.

The 14 on the right might catch up though, though that's a coin toss.

On top of that I'm assuming you're not getting the trigger shot, correct? The trigger would fully mature and force the release of the 18 and the 16 and maybe the 14 if it caught up in time. Without the trigger your body is more likely to naturally select the 18 to ovulate it.

If it were me, I would start using OPKs and keeping track of CM, I'd also call the doctor and ask for one more follow-up scan in the next day or so to see what your follicles have grown to and ask for an e2 (estrogen) to be done. If it's under 600 then I would take the chance and have sex. Like I said, I ovulated a bunch of follicles and none of them took, but the successful cycle I had before that, I ovulated one 18mm and had a chemical.

What CD are you on?

I just wanted to you add you need a follicle size of 18mm and an e2 of 200 per follicle to indicate a mature follicle inside with even a chance of it having a good egg inside.

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much ! That was sooooo informative. I'm a first timer at this so that was a lot of help. I'm currently on CD 16. My doctor didn't want me to hold off on the trigger this cycle. I'll definitely call tomorrow and see about coming in for a scan

I don't think you should hold off on the trigger either. If you trigger it reduces the risk of those turning into painful cysts later (like what happened to me). Now if you have a 20, 18, 16, 14 on the left and a 16 on the right when you go back for the second scan, you're gonna ovulate the top two and maybe the 16 on the opposite ovary. But...remember, just because the 16 ovulates doesn't mean it's fully mature and fertilizable. There's no way to know, hence the overwhelming risk. Even a 14 could have a mature egg in it if it's e2 is high enough. That's why that e2 is so important.

If your e2 is over 600, I wouldn't baby dance without protection unless you're okay with the possibility of multiples. With 6 mature follicles and 2 catching up mine was at 1830, so we had a possibility of at least 6 of them being fully mature. I started to ovulate on my own once my biggest ones hit 17 and I still didn't get pregnant for a host of reasons that I won't bombard you with lol.

But with my 17mm cycle with an e2 of just 195, I ovulated and bam, chemical.

I hope if you go for another scan the 18 has grown and maybe the 14, but that everything else has shrunken. I think that's the best outcome. Either way, come back and let us know what your results are!

I forgot to say if you triggered already forget the scan, but if you can, do the scan before you trigger to see how many follicles are fully matured (at a minimum 17 or 18mm) and what your lining looks like. Then you can make a more informed decision for yourself. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I haven't triggered because they didn't want me to but I will definitely call to have another scan done and update you. And I'm sorry to hear about what's happened with you regarding the chemical. I'm shocked by the way that no one mentioned doing another scan in a couple days to see if there's been growth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->