MummyMEE's birth story - 2 weeks later!

MummyMEE

DS of 14/DD born Dec '11
Reaction score
Surreal isn't it, I must have spent at least 5 hours a day on here during the last weeks before my LO arrived and this is the first time I have been on since she arrived! Had my first decent night's sleep last night (5 and a half hours woop woop!) so I finally have the mental capacity and recall to finally share my birth story with you! I was under consultant care and hoped to have an epidural as I had one when I had my son and it helped. Plus I am a big chicken when it comes to pain!

Here goes, its beautiful and bittersweet in places and embarrasing in others lol......

Tuesday 6th I was 40 + 1 and went to see my consultant to book induction and have a check up and when I was there he gave me a sweep which was quite uncomfortable as he is 6'5" tall and has HUGE hands!
(My friend asked what it felt like, I told her it was like checking the washing machine drum for any odd socks lurking in there after you have taken the washing out!)
I had a bit of a show sortly after and the hospital gave me a pad, consultant told me I was 2-3cm dilated and that baby would probably come before my induction which was booked for the 16th Dec when I would be 41+5 which seemed a long way away! He said that as my LO was not engaged there was a chance of cord prolapse if my waters went and to come to the hospital if they went.
My bestfriend Mary had taken me to the hospital and we decided that we would go to KFC for lunch and then we would go to Morrisons. Had KFC and then drove the short distance to Morrisons, Mary helpfully accelerating and braking sharply at every opportunity! We got to Morrisons and I got out the car and before I had taken a step my waters went with a huge gush and were running down Morrisons car park in a little river! I anticipated such a feeling of terror of what was to come but stangely it never came, instead I was filled with a feeling of serenity.
I called my husband at work and there was no answer on his mobile which worried me slightly but Mary called the office and got a message to him to call me asap. I got back in the car and sat on the towell I had brought with me just in case and we made our way back up to the hospital after calling them to let them know my waters had broke.
I was having irregular contractions and with every step I took I lost loads more water and by the time we reached L&D my trousers were soaked as were my socks and trainers! No steady trickle for me......
I was told to wait until they checked if they had a bed for me (WTF! Why the hell tell me to come in if you may not have a bed free???) And then was shunted into the triage area and assessed by a MW who rather grudgingly confirmed that my waters had gone and I was 2cm dilated, she then told me to go home and wait for the 411 contractions. As I was waiting for Dave to come and bring me some dry clothes my contractions started coming every 3 mins and lasting over a minute. Mary asked for a MW to reassess me and I waited an hour to see one, all this time sat on a bed in a huge puddle of cold fluid which was just gross.
It was at this time I had an epiphany - I didn't want to deliver my baby here, I felt uncomfortable, stressed and vulnerable (not usually me at all!) and called for the MW yet again and told her I wanted to be transferred to the care of our local birth centre. This MW was a lot nicer than the one I had seen earlier and she said she would speak to the on duty consultant and within an hour my contactions had slowed and I got my transfer! :happydance:
Mary left as Dave arrived and bought me some clothes and we went home. My contractions were still irregular but painful and I was still losing fluid with each one so just bounced on my ball for the evening talking with DS and OH.
DS went to bed about 10 and Dave and I took the dog for a walk round the park next door to our house. We decided to go to bed and try and get some sleep in case LO came in the night.
About 2.30am I woke up having regular painful contractions and went downstairs to bounce on my ball and at 3.30ish the pain was becoming worse so I decided to wake everyone up and go to our local birth centre which was 5 mins away. Woke Dave and DS and rang Mary and she came round to collect DS and we went to the birth centre.
Upon arrival I was asked how I wanted to give birth and it suddenly occured to me that the most pain relief I could have was pethidine which worried me so I told the MW that I would like to use the pool and have pain relief as and when needed.
I was shown into the active birth room which had a huge mattress and huge bean bag on it and was checked by the MW who told me I was only 3cm - was so gutted as was in a lot of pain and not mentally prepared to be in this much pain for the next few hours, she left me with gas and air and I got on all fours leaning on the beanbag with my ass in the air which was the comfiest position I could get in and began to suck on the G&A whilst OH rubbed my back.
I don't really remember much about the first stage I just know that after a while I zoned out and all I remember is concentrating on the contractions and dealing with the pain and then all of a sudden I felt I needed to push which really scared me as I had not been there for an hour and there was no way it was time to push yet. Dave called the MW and she checked me and I was fully dilated! I got into the pool which was lovely and surprisingly warm and deep and started to push with my next contraction.

Here's the embarrasing bit.......
I had been a bit constipated in the days before and everytime I pushed I pooped a little! With every contaction.... Bear in mind I have never pooped in front of Dave and was so embarrased! After the 3rd contraction I truly gave up caring as we were all laughing and joking about it! After an hour of pushing my little girl's head was born and my MW asked if I wanted to pull her out myself! It was so amazing!!! I gave a little push and her shoulders came out and she turned her head to the side and I saw her beatiful face for the first time and I wished so hard that my mum and dad could have seen her :cry:
She looked asleep and I reached down, gave a little push and pulled my daughter out the rest of the way and onto my chest, it was the most amazing thing I have ever done or will ever do! I woke her gently and she gave a little cry and started rooting for my boob - We stayed in the pool and had a good hour skin to skin and bf'ing before we got out.
Maya weighed 7lb 11 and a half oz and despite being born asleep had an apgar score of 10!
I had no tears or grazes and felt really fantastic and Dave nipped home to fetch DS so he could meet his sister finally!
I stayed in the birth centre for a night and went home the next day, the birth centre was fab, had my own room and could have stayed for a week if I wanted to!

Two weeks later.......
At her 6 day weigh in she had put on 6 and a half oz and yesterday the has put on another 6 oz and now weighs 8lb 9oz! BF'ing well and regularly and making the most evil poops!

Sorry for the length of my story, thank you for reading, have a great christmas!! xx

Attachments

• Maya.jpg
    Maya.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g