Must have baby item, not really thought of !

mummie2be

Reaction score
Can any second time moms out there suggest one item they had for baby that they didn't necessarily think of?? Or an item they had absolutely no use for?

I'm wracking my brain thinking of things for baby and every time I look at my list I feel like I'm missing things or some stuff I don't reallly need.

I went crazy for toys for my newborn last time and I was disappointed that she never paid any attention to them until she was about 3 months old! Although I have loads of toys in the house I didnt go out buying this baby a nice new toy! I also bought a baby bath and a changing station, I used the baby bath for three weeks then realised the kitchen sink was handier and the baby bath is used for storing baby vests and socks, as for the changing station, I used it twice and then found the mat on the bed or sofa was so much handier! The one item I loved having and still use is the breastfeeding pillow, it was great for feeding and then for supporting my back in this pregnancy :flower:

My must have for my first was a bouncer. I didn't get one, I had a swing from my brother and sister in law and thought I didn't need both. My daughter hated the swing, just screamed and screamed in it. 2 wks after she was born my husband went and bought a $25 bouncer from target that vibrated, and that was that. She loved it! Wish I would've had it from the start, who knew? Although, each baby is different in what they prefer, so there's no predicting some of these things.

Plus it's small and portable, so I brought it to my moms when we would visit, and we made a road trip when she was 3 months old, and like I said, it's easy to cart around places.... So that was nice about it too

I bottle a food and bottle warmer. Big old waste of money.

As for what we found great - muslins. DD1 still has them as a comforter and is still very dribbly when teething so they have stayed great for mopping up.

What we didn't have and then bought - a carry car seat. Didn't think we'd need one so just had a birth - 4 years one. Then DD1 was early and small so didn't fit in baby trolley seats very well and I found the original seat hard to get her in and out of whilst rear facing. We bought a Cabriofix and it was so much easier. No waking baby to go into the supermarket, great for if you pop in to someones to visit and you can use it to rock them in, to sit in while you eat instead of something like a bouncer. We also bought the adaptors for our pushchair frame and that was great for quick trips - like to the doctors. If you are a whimp like me and found the car seat is too heavy to carry far!

Bouncer seats an swings are my big thing with the girls. My friend got me ont that's a swing that can be station as a seat n its nice n small and can take it if we go somewhere also used the playpen a lot!

Oh and the scratch mittons freakin suck! They just fall off I just use socks they stay on sooo much better

Must haves to begin with, is the little things you dont think.of! Ofcourse the swing and.bouncer is great and should.be.on everyones list too, I found in the first few weeks that gas drops, a&d ointment, and some.tylenol were.needed! If I didnt have it.on hand, I would have been SOL as my husband works.nutty hours! Also, burp clothes, you cant have enough of them. I did find that baby.towels were a.waste, as regular towels work the same.... and i used one of the mesh baby supports in the actual bath tub. I tried to bath her once in the sink and it was horrid!

Best--hands down--type of swaddlers are Halo Sleep Sack Swaddlers. They're amazing. We spent hundreds trying different brands. They're the best! Oh, and lots of burp cloths. Can never have enough, ha ha.

must have was a swing for my son he hated the bouncer it was waste of money and also wipe warmer!! bought it and neeeeeever used it.

For me, the baby nail scissors were a must because I was always so tired that the nail clippers made me nervous. I was afraid that I would nip her finger. Also, make sure you take them in your hospital bag. When DD was born, her nail were super long and sharp... so bad that she scratched herself through the mittens that are on the hospital vests. And the nurses will not clip them for you here (don't know why, though).

Oh, and a vibrating chair! Helps so much. Also, a Snuza--we love it!

White noise machine. A total god send.

Definitely, I have the "Ewan the Dream Sheep" who has 4 different womb/heartbeat sounds, worked a treat in the early days and still attached to her cot now. Bliss.

For me, the baby nail scissors were a must because I was always so tired that the nail clippers made me nervous. I was afraid that I would nip her finger. Also, make sure you take them in your hospital bag. When DD was born, her nail were super long and sharp... so bad that she scratched herself through the mittens that are on the hospital vests. And the nurses will not clip them for you here (don't know why, though).

It was also suggested to me that I bring a nail file to the hospital. I think that I'll be too nervous to use scissors at first, but a nail file could do the trick too.

A must have for me was the sleeping gowns/bags. The have elastic at te ottom so you don't need to unbutton and wake baby for changes. Also the long sleeve ones have fold over mittens for scratching. That's all my kids wore when sleeping for at least 3 months. This time I went out and bought 2news ones so I have 6 total.

As far as white noise, yes this is a must have but we always used a fan much cheaper and I set it so it didn't blow near baby.

Back up nose sucky thing! The one from the hospital randomly broke and I searched everywhere and bought like 3 more trying to find one the like hospital gives you! The other ones sucked and didn't get the job done.

Also I agree with the previous poster that said a white noise machine. We still use ours in our son's room and it's vital!

Swaddler blankets ended up being a necessity.

Also we had this little stuffed animal that projected stars on the ceiling and played music. Our son loved it and fell asleep to it a lot.

I'd recommend the book Your Baby Week By Week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Baby-...861379&sr=8-1&keywords=your+baby+week+by+week

I bought it when Eva was around 3 weeks old, and I wished I had had it from the start, as I had limited experience of babies. I found it a lifesaver - really helped reassure me I was doing ok.

I'd recommend the book Your Baby Week By Week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Baby-...861379&sr=8-1&keywords=your+baby+week+by+week

I bought it when Eva was around 3 weeks old, and I wished I had had it from the start, as I had limited experience of babies. I found it a lifesaver - really helped reassure me I was doing ok.

Pssst, thank you. I added it to the wishlist and hope to get it soon. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->