• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MW Appointment Today

Pops

Proud Mum & Wifey
Reaction score
We had our 35 week MW appointment today and our MW is fab, really supportive of our HB and has never mentioned or tried to sway us towards a hospital birth.

She gave us our paperwork today which we need to read and sign to say we are aware of the choice we are making etc etc so we sat and read it all tonight and we were both disapointed in it.

It is so very negative :dohh: Luckily, we are savvy enough to read it, bin it and carry on but if you weren't that way inclined it would have been enough to make you sway I'd imagine.

I know she has to give us it but it felt like a last try by the NHS Trust to make you want to go flat on your back in a hospital :wacko:

Anyway, other than that, everything was perfect and we are all on for our HB as planned and we can't wait!! :happydance:

That's a shame, I've never heard of these letters...it's strange though that they are actually meant to be promoting normality in childbirth, homebirth being a key component and all they do is scaremonger.:dohh:

Thanks for that info, i think i'll just pretend to read it if that's the case. I'd rather be given a positive attitude rather than a negative one. That sucks. Anyway, glad you could ignore it and go on to get what you want thats great news and glad all was well too hun xxx

Cupcake they want to premote more homebirths but if more people start having there babys at home at not at hospital more funding would be taken away from the hospitals and put into your comminity midwifes.

Funding is all it comes down to in the NHS.

Lozzy has it spot on there it will all be about funding.... they are all for promoting natural childbirth etc but as soon as the stats start going down for hospital births they will get way less money. Its a shame really.

Well done you though for sticking to your beliefs. I have my first midwife appointment next friday and am going to tell her i want a HB... not sure they will go for it but will see.

Cupcake they want to premote more homebirths but if more people start having there babys at home at not at hospital more funding would be taken away from the hospitals and put into your comminity midwifes.

Cupcake is a MW Lozzy.....

ive never heard of those letters.... i remember having someone come out to me last time as ask things like 'how will you feel if your baby dies at home' etc etc :-0

Our midwife has been nothing but supportive of any choices we wanted to make, even though she has her own views on things. But then, I have chosen to be in hospital, but I can assure you I won't be flat on my back! :winkwink:

lol....

At my hospital we really promote HBs, even if there's not a community midwife to attend a HB then a hospital midwife gets pulled out to attend. Its lack of money across the NHS, we only need more staff to provide the care required for our population. I don't disagree that the majority of hospitals will use scare tactics to get women in so that the midwives they use can be hospital based. Its a sad state of affairs but if you look at the history and how women were encouraged to birth in a hospital as the 'safer option' its just something the NHS has capitalised on even though research states otherwise.

Also wanted to add, if when your in labour and they say there's not a midwife available all you have to say is 'Im in labour and I expect a midwife to attend as soon as possible' and hang up the phone (make sure they have your details though!)

Ive known midwifery managers/ supervisors to attend HBs because the unit has been so busy that it would be impossible to send them out, at the end of the day Midwives have to attend your delivery, they cannot make you go into hospital.

I've also worked in 3 London hospitals and never seen a letter that you have to read regarding HBs, and I never got one for my birth....I think if they have one for HBs then there should be one for hospital births....something along the lines as....

If you have a hospital birth then be aware of increased risk of intervention, Lack of care, No sleep because of a shared ward, Infection etc.

lol....

At my hospital we really promote HBs, even if there's not a community midwife to attend a HB then a hospital midwife gets pulled out to attend. Its lack of money across the NHS, we only need more staff to provide the care required for our population. I don't disagree that the majority of hospitals will use scare tactics to get women in so that the midwives they use can be hospital based. Its a sad state of affairs but if you look at the history and how women were encouraged to birth in a hospital as the 'safer option' its just something the NHS has capitalised on even though research states otherwise.

Also wanted to add, if when your in labour and they say there's not a midwife available all you have to say is 'Im in labour and I expect a midwife to attend as soon as possible' and hang up the phone (make sure they have your details though!)

Ive known midwifery managers/ supervisors to attend HBs because the unit has been so busy that it would be impossible to send them out, at the end of the day Midwives have to attend your delivery, they cannot make you go into hospital.

I've also worked in 3 London hospitals and never seen a letter that you have to read regarding HBs, and I never got one for my birth....I think if they have one for HBs then there should be one for hospital births....something along the lines as....

If you have a hospital birth then be aware of increased risk of intervention, Lack of care, No sleep because of a shared ward, Infection etc.

agreed

That's a shame, I've never heard of these letters...it's strange though that they are actually meant to be promoting normality in childbirth, homebirth being a key component and all they do is scaremonger.:dohh:

It is a real shame :nope:

Our MW is fantastic and she clearly gave us it as she has to by whatever policy or process but we were surprised at the underlying tone of it.

Even down to things that the MW had said it would be highly unlikely that if there were any issues, which she say unlikely, they would more than likely not be blue light runs but then the leaflet says we won't have a chice but to be taken by emergency ambulance to hospital :wacko: That will help with keeping me calm if it is not a major issue :dohh:

We read it, we put it away.....no room for it in our positive minds!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->