MW said baby is head down...but i was told its not possible?! CONFUSED!!!

babygirlhall

Mummy to Josh and Maisie
Reaction score
So i had mw app today because they are keeping an eye on my bp due to high bp + protein in my last pregnancy, anyway all went well bp was fine, urine fine, measuring to date, hb recorded at 152bpm etc then she checked baby's position...head down!!!! This may sound normal but to me it was a complete shock! Ds was transverse (across lie) the whole time and born by c section due to my bicorunate (heart shaped) uterus. I was under the impression this baby would do the same and up till this mw app she has been transverse. I was convinced i would be having another section this time and now im completely thrown! I could be having a natural delivery and im scared to death! I know it would be great because the recovery time is quicker, can drive quicker etc but my mind was set on a section and now i feel a bit lost/confused.
She also wrote in my book 3/5 down...what does that mean?? Can she still change position?
I have a scan at 36wks to check growth and position.
Thanks ladies :flower:

I think she meant 3/5 engaged, which means your baby's head is in the correct position to give birth vaginally. If your baby is 3/5 engaged it MIGHT NOT be possible to have it change positions, but not 100% sure.

Here in the US, you're usually allowed to have a section if you had a previous one. Can you ask about that?

Midwives can be wrong. When I went into labour with my breech baby and my bicornuate uterus, the midwife said she couldn't tell the difference between the head and butt!! Just wait until the scan as baby may well still be breech x

A friend of mine was recently in almost exactly this situation - first was transverse because of a septum, her second was the same but then suddenly went head down around 35 weeks. But in the end the doctor decided to continue with the section, as they felt it would be extremely difficult for the baby to engage properly because of the septum (which divided her uterus in half almost).

Personally I'd seek a second opinion. MW's can be wrong afterall. :hugs:

As a PP said wait for the growth scan. My MW thought my LO was head down at my 34 wks appt but I knew she was wrong. A presentation scan a few days later proved I was right, my DD was actually breech as I'd suspected.

I would make sure they scan you as planned as 4 midwifes thought my LO was head down and it was only the positioning of his heartbeat that made them question it and scan me and they were all wrong as he was breech, head up and bottom down. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->