My 1 and a half year old just rang 999!

emzky90

Reaction score
Could of died! I stepped out the room for a moment to come back in to find Marnie with the receiver up to her ear and then I hear a "can you put your mummy on the phone" so I immedietly pick it up to a lady who says "are you aware that your child has just rang 999.......... omg how embarrasing.... she went "if there's no emergency then please put the phone down. I've now unplugged the phone as don't want that happening again!

Ours here in the USA its 911. 999 is a little easier to randomly button smash on a phone, but that sort of thing has happened to a few of my friends too. Normally the police aren't too upset, but I did have one friend that they got very angry with. Oops? lol

Uh oh lol. Theyre so strict about it and i do understand why. But it does happen alot. My LO hasnt done it yet thankfully :haha:

My sister did this and the police were out looking for a little girl in trouble.
I think your LO is more innocent looking now haha.

Aww it's a shame when they're stern.

As a 911 dispatcher, I've had some pretty interesting conversations with toddlers :rofl:

Aww it's a shame when they're stern.

As a 911 dispatcher, I've had some pretty interesting conversations with toddlers :rofl:

Aww do tell :cloud9:

lol! Well, I've dealt with domestic violence ("my brother took my toy"), "I want a fire truck" (because they are cool), and countless "blahfdioaeiojeafhioasdfijoadsfjiasjiafsjikadfsj" (one of which dialed the regional 911 lines over 4,000 times before the "suspect" was tracked down at a local daycare :rofl:)

I never blast them or parents for it. I let them know, if they are old enough to actually somewhat comprehend, that we're happy to help for most problems (and then we talk about what kind of problems).

I dunno, I've always been pissed at dispatchers telling kids off. I'd rather 10 kids call by mistake/wrong reason than 1 kid be scared to call iykwim?? I've had 3 year olds call actual domestic disputes (daddy hurt mommy) and I'd hate to see them be to scared to ask for help.

Tegan called 999 from my mobile yesterday. thankfully I cut it off before she got through but I felt so bad! They are quite mean about it over here aren't they :(

Fran called 999 from my mobile 3 times in the space of 5 minutes a few weeks ago - I didn't realise until I got a text from them to tell me and giving me a reference number to use if needed lol.

Whooops! Charlie did it on Saturday night as well, I walked into the living room and he was chatting about giraffes to someone :haha: I asked who he was talking to and he said 'the lady'! The call handler wasn't happy - she asked my name and address and told me to keep my child away from the phone! Nightmare!

Lo has never rang them by accident but this worries me as i dont know if LO will remember 999, i have epilepsy so have been trying to teach LO what to do if mummy "falls" down and wont wake up but i worry that he wouldn't be able to explain it even in basic terms and that no-one would come

Lo has never rang them by accident but this worries me as i dont know if LO will remember 999, i have epilepsy so have been trying to teach LO what to do if mummy "falls" down and wont wake up but i worry that he wouldn't be able to explain it even in basic terms and that no-one would come

Aw hun :hugs: I don't know about the UK but here they can flag your home phone # and an "alert" ("Resident has epilepsy, please respond with medical services if dialed") and it will show up if anyone dials from your house even without speaking. You can call & talk to them about it.

Will give them a ring about that tomorrow and see if anything similar is available here, thanks

Oopsy! Kids aye? I don't understand why they get so annoyed about it though. I mean I know there's been issues with hoax calls and wasting the emergency services time/resources but when it's just an innocent toddler who got hold of the phone when you turn your back for 2minutes it's a case of these things happen. Especially when 999 is quite an easy number to dial by accident anyway!

lol thats funny.. although I would of died if it was my toddler!!

I think its important to teach kids the emergency number and i find it understandable that small kids if they get hold of the phone they probably will be curious and being 999 one of the first numbers they should learn it isnt suprising kids call it there curious it is important to stress that its only for emergencys but i dont think they should be so harsh about it id rather my kid called than too scared too and id be proud he knew the number but i would tell him it was wrong as there no emergency.

I rang 911 [here in the states] when I was about 4 years old. Apparently I didn't say anything of value, just babbled some baby talk to whom ever had answered and then hung up. They called back and asked my mom if she knew I had called 911 moments ago. She said no and apologized but they said they would have to send a squad car 'just in case' and ended up having a [really mean] cop show up at our house to scold my mom, telling her to keeping me away from the phone :dohh:
Oops, lesson learned.

My lo managed to dial 911 at 10 months of age. They called me back and I almost didnt answer the phone, thought it was a telemarketer. Glad I did though the lady was very nice about it. I was very embarrassed and surprised lol.

They really are mean about it here!

My little brother phoned them once on a sunday morning when he was 2 and the operator asked if anyone was in trouble and he said yeah :shocked: so they sent a police car round and come in and said they had to check on us, i was asleep apparently with me mouth wide open when they come in the bedroom :blush:

ive accidently knocked my fone and got a stern telling off

xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back