• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My 3 week old gulps down 4 oz in 5 mins every 3 hours

Elizdia

Reaction score
Hi all

Just after a bit of advise, my baby has a big appetite and wants 4oz every 3 hours. He is only 3 weeks old! He gulps his milk down in 5 mins and then really squirms and wriggles like he is struggling to burp, it could take him up to an hour to burp and even when he does he still wriggles around? Arching his back and does a distressed face like he has more wind.

Do you think because he is gulping it down he is talking in loads of air to give him gas? Should I change to level 2 teats

Thanks x

My little man was the same. I changed the teats and changed him to hungry baby milk... he still had issues though and it turned out he had reflux too. He still guzzles his milk like his life depends on it though lol

I have a guzzler. I use infacol and the Dr brown bottles to reduce the air in and burp her every 1-2 oz. She screams when you take the bottle away but it makes a big difference. I find she's sick less too as she brings up smaller amounts of wind at a time.

I considered the hungry baby milk too and we tried it for 24 hours but it made no difference and I was worried it would mask genuine hunger and she wouldn't get enough.

My health visitor recommended attempting to wind them before a feed incase they have any wind left in them from earlier. It will make it easier. I always try and burp my three week old at least half way.. Bit hard if he's guzzling it though!

Is he guzzling it on the slow flow teats?! Mine found the slow flow too much hard work and couldn't finish a bottle so I got vari flow and that was much better, if he wanted to guzzle he could and if he wanted to go slower he could!

Try and encourage your little one to break away from the year half way through to burp. And try different burping positions. Over shoulder, on the knee. My mom said walking up and down the stairs helps if they're being very stubborn.

And if he's not burping then the gas needs to go somewhere.. Meaning he'll need help to trump! So if you move their little legs as if they're riding a bicycle it can help encourage the gas to move down, helps them trump it out and then helps them settle (did the trick for me a fair few times!)

Another good wee trick for winding I use is to put babies feet on my chest, sit his bottom on my knee and push his body forward making him into the foetal position, you should hear the burps that come up, they are crackers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->