My 3week old is constantly hungry?

leigh5tom

Mum to two :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My little girl is 3 weeks old, and for the past week or so she's been constantly eating! I make up a 120ml (4oz) feed for her, and once she finishes that she'll cry for more, have another couple oz's, go about 30 mins, have another few, and it's a vicious circle! She never really goes over 30 mins without a feed.

I always wind her, we've tried increasing the size of her feeds ... What else can I do? Xxxx

Hi,
I had the same issue with my son. I consulted my HV as I was concerned I was over feeding him (he was taking 30oz plus in a day!) after much deliberation she advised me to switch to hungry baby milk. Instantly Deacon just settled. I would defo reccommend you to speak to your health visitor first though Hun. There may be something else she can advise to try first. Xxxx

Maybe shes comfort sucking have u tried a dummy?

No I haven't tried a dummy ... I really don't like dummies personally :-( but if it carries on I'll have to consider it I suppose! Thank you xxx

Don't use it all the time if u dont like it only til it settles her then take it away thats what i do :)

My lo would act hungry after his feeds but then spit it out and choke if we tried giving him more or he would lazilly suck and then be sick, we found out he was comfort sucking (his hands etc) so we got some closer to nature soothers, it calms him down so much and he drifts off to sleep and it falls out. No harm done.. maybe give it a try?

My lo is now on 3oz sometimes close to 4oz feeds but hes now nearly 6lbs, if your little girl is a bit heavier she might just want more so I would keep giving her about 6oz then settle her with her dummy... my LO usually goes about 3 hours between feeds in the day and about every 4 hours at night x

Hope this helps x

Yeah maybe it's worth a go with a dummy then :flower: they are designed to not affect their mouth and teeth development so much now too aren't they. Xxxxxx

Aww :hugs: i could of wrote this myself when J was a couple of weeks old, and the little monkey wouldn't take a dummy either until 4 months! I was always told you can't overfeed a baby, so try and go with the flow as tiring as it seems, he did eventually take the MAM dummies which are supposed to be good for teeth/mouth development, he still has one now for bedtime and has most of his teeth which are fine x

Thanks ladies :hugs: she's better at night now but during the day it's more or less the same! I guess I'll carry on just feeding on demand. We got her a few dummies but she sucks a few times and then seems to realise there is no milk and spits it out and cries! :shrug: xxxx

My LO is the same. She could take up to 5oz every 4/5 hours but was constantly wanting more inbetween. We now give her a closer to nature dummy which has helped as she was using it to sooth a lot . Just had her weighed today and she has put on 11oz's in 8 days. Health visitor says she must be having a growth spurt xx

I agree. We seriously overfed my baby (not intentionally!) until we realised he was a v sucky baby and introduced a dummy. You may not like them but its not really about what you like :baby:

I agree. We seriously overfed my baby (not intentionally!) until we realised he was a v sucky baby and introduced a dummy. You may not like them but its not really about what you like :baby:

I said in a PP that we tried dummy but she just spits it out and carries on crying.

My LO will sometimes try this too but if i offer her more bottle she heaves or sicks the lot back up! Shes currently on 3-4 oz every 3-4 hrs n goes 4-5 hours over night. We offer her a closer to nature dummy, but like urs she realizes no milk comes out n spits it out but i found if i hold it in her mouth for a little while n have my hand on her chest or hold her hands then she soon settles n it just falls out her mouth n then she sleeps for couple hours. Distraction is always good too, if you no hes not hungry then pick him up n go in the garden or go for a walk in his push chair, a few times of this n he'll soon get into a routine of feeding every 3-4 hours instead of 30 mins :) xx

My LO will sometimes try this too but if i offer her more bottle she heaves or sicks the lot back up! Shes currently on 3-4 oz every 3-4 hrs n goes 4-5 hours over night. We offer her a closer to nature dummy, but like urs she realizes no milk comes out n spits it out but i found if i hold it in her mouth for a little while n have my hand on her chest or hold her hands then she soon settles n it just falls out her mouth n then she sleeps for couple hours. Distraction is always good too, if you no hes not hungry then pick him up n go in the garden or go for a walk in his push chair, a few times of this n he'll soon get into a routine of feeding every 3-4 hours instead of 30 mins :) xx

This is a great idea, thank you x x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"