My baby gags on my breast milk?!?

Lilblackrose

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this!
Right .. My baby boy is 7 weeks old, I breast fed for the first two weeks and then switched to formula. My boy had no problem latching on to both bottle and breast. I now want to breast feed again BUT when he's latches on he gags and starts to cry? I've tried to persevere but he just won't take it anymore! I'm able to get a good few drops of milk if I express by hand but nothing with a hand pump so I don't think it's anything to do with it coming out too fast. I would really like to bf him again :( anyone have any solutions/been through this?
Thank you x

I'm no expert, I've been bfing my first for just over three months. But it could be a supply issue and he's getting frustrated with so little milk coming out? were you exclusively ff and now trying to ebf? you might want to investigate relactation

Because the me mechanism for bf is different maybe it's because he's not used to having the nipple at the back of his throat. Maybe when some milk does come out he's not used to it being so far back in his mouth? Just racking my brains! The only other thing is possibly his frustration with the lack of milk and he's just not swallowing effectively 'cos he's angry at the lack of "let down". Relactation sounds like a plan. x

If you have been combination feeding then you probably
wont yet have a big enough supply to bf full time. You should set up an expressing schedule to help build it up, aim to express once every 3 hours for 15/20 minutes, on top of getting LO to latch on and feed as often as possible. Express for 5 or so minutes after every bf he has to signal your body to produce more milk.

If it isn't a supply issue it may be that you have a fast let down, Or a slow let down? Do you ever notice sprays of milk when he pulls off? If so you can try to catch the let down in a cloth so that it isnt choking him before he latches back on. If you dont notice any let down then you can try to express for a few minutes beforehand so that LO doesnt have to work so long/hard to get milk flowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->