My birth story (5 days and ECS!)

Gemz01

Reaction score
Its a little brief because I was so exhausted and don't remember every details but here goes..

So I went to be induced on Wednesday 15th - I was 12 days overdue. I got to the hospital at 10am where I was shown to my room and got settled in. By 11am a midwife turned up and checked my dilation of which I was 1cm. I then had the propess induction (flat tampon type) inserted which was to last for 24 hours. I hated the propess the moment they did it, I couldn't go to the toilet without screaming, and I just felt ridiculously uncomfortable. The propess got me to 3cm dilated by 5am the next day - they then decided to remove it a few hours early. Within 30 minutes of them removing the propess I went to the toilet finally and got back into bed, no sooner had I got back onto the bed I felt the most ridiculous pain ever in my lower back (felt like a deep burn, twisting and ripping sensation) I told the midwife and they just reminded me I was pregnant and in early labour - get over it type attitude! They then checked my contractions and they were hitting 70's and 90's every 10 minutes. They told me they would induce again in another 48 hours but I asked for my waters to be broke instead - they done more checks and agreed if the labour ward cleared out a bit that they would do it. My husband turned up at 11am and I had him rubbing my back so hard he said his hands were red raw! I should have realised I was having back labour but not even the midwives said anything. They did offer me gas and air but I for some insane reason never followed up their offer. So all day Thursday I was in back labour then Thursday at 6pm (and after having back labour at 3 minutes apart since 5:30am that morning - AND with no pain relief) they finally took me to labour ward and broke my waters.

So after my waters were broke they let me do some ball bouncing because the baby was back to back and needed turning - I did this for ages, taking breaks to bite down on the gas and air pump they gave me. I remember being all weird on it, saying weird things to my husband and mesmerised by the badge he has on his top. I was on the G&A for around 4-5 hours with contractions now all over and at 2 minutes apart. Things were really looking up and I was getting even more intense contractions that I asked for the epidural. At 11am they put in my epidural (which for me was extremely uncomfortable!) and the pain was gone! At this point I was 5cm dilated and so we were set for the night to monitor the contractions and see how it progressed. By Friday 7am I was checked for dilation - turns out I was still only 5cm! I was gutted but I was left to dilate further. I was monitored by various midwives, and my contractions were going from weak to strong, strong to weak and they couldn't quite explain why. I just asked my husband to help me bulk up this birth story a little and even he couldn't answer why my contractions were going up and down - we just accepted that we were in good hands. By 9am I was checked again and I still hadn't progressed and they were concerned I wasn't going to get anywhere naturally and the baby was now sideways and with my waters being broke -I was on the clock. They offered me a c section but stated that it was entirely possible for me to still have natural childbirth so I said no to C Section and they told me that I would need to get to 8cm dilated by 11am.

At 11am they checked me again - I had only got to 7cm! They decided I had no choice but have a C Section and that baby was getting distressed and so I was signing the form and off to the theatre before I could blink. At 12pm Friday they had me prepped and my husband scrubbed in. I was given a large amount of EPI and sprayed with cold air to see what if anything was still needing numbing- it was weird being in theatre with 10-12 people all dressed in green and there was me feeling as though I was watching myself in some medical TV drama. They made the cut at 12:19pm and a minute later she was born - a healthy 8lb 4oz (17 inches long) and a nice set of lungs on her! My husband and I were so amazed at her weight - We doubted my tiny 5ft 2 frame could hold such a whopper for 42 weeks and no surprise I had some trouble delivering naturally.. I had to stay in hospital for another two days so by the time I was discharged I had been in that sweat box for 5 nearly 6 whole days.

Ava is now weighing at 8lb 6oz and let's mummy and daddy sleep for 7 whole hours! I am breastfeeding but supplementing with 1 part formula. I feel very blessed :)

https://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz169/gemz2009/Baby%20stuff/ps-1.jpg

edit: Turns out she was 8lb 4oz (not 6!)

Thanks girls. I just updated it with a bit more information thanks to my husband.

congrats :D
Wish max slept that long! He only goes 3-4 hours!

Great story! I was told never to let a breastfed baby go longer than 3 or a FF baby longer than 4-5 hours for the first few weeks at least. In fact they made me wake LO every 2 hours for the first 10 days to bulk him up! :shrug:

Congratulations she's a little angel and I love her name :kiss:

Thanks ladies, I feel so blessed. :cloud9:

Great story! I was told never to let a breastfed baby go longer than 3 or a FF baby longer than 4-5 hours for the first few weeks at least. In fact they made me wake LO every 2 hours for the first 10 days to bulk him up! :shrug:

Yeah I was worried about this too but I have asked every midwife I can and they all say feed on demand so I just dunno what to do! She started to change her routine a little needing a feed at 3am, then at 8am but then slept longer in the day. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->