My cat is pregnant, looking for someone who has experianced this

CarlyP

Mum of 2 & baking #3
Reaction score
As the title says our 3 yr old cat mow mow is pregnant.

I'm unsure how far she is, her nipples are quite large and pink, her stomach is very round.

We plan to take her to the vet next week.

Has anyone been through a cat pregnancy before??

My last cat had 2 litters.

They are pregnant for around 60 days.

She probably hasn't got long to go.

Try and keep her indoors incase she goes into labour.

When she does labour, leave her be, don't touch her kittens.

If she struggles to deliver then she may need a section at the vets.

My cat's last litter, her 2nd baby got stuck in her birth canal and was stillborn and she needed a section, cost me £200 but her other babies were fine.

Bring her food/water so she doesn't have far to move when she has popped.

HTH.

v XXX

Sorry to hear that :(

I am a bit worried as she is a small cat compared to others, I do plan to have the vets on standby just in case she can't manage.

Thank you x

Cat's are like Mum's we just do it.

Given her age, I think she will be fine.

V xx

My cat had her kittens yesterday, She is just under 1.
She had 4 little ones, the second got stuck and I had to help get out of her and break the sack. They are all doing well so far :)

yes my cat had kittens. my hubby was more sympathetic towards her than me. he siad to keep her in one night as he thought they were due. i said she had ages. anyway he was right. we kept her in and the next morning he could hear sqeaking in the washing basket. shed had two in there and managed to go back to her bed and have the other two, the last one was being born as my hubby got up, he had to help her with this one as she was tired. she had four boys.
they were gorgeous. as another post said, try not to touch them, she wont appreciatte it nor will they. we had to help the little runt on to her to feed tho as the bigger ones pushed him out. she alsoo took a dislike to the two smaller ones and tried to hide them around the house, even in our big junk cupboard. apparently this is normal for them to do with the runts, to sort of disown them. we used to put them back with her and say-willow their yr babies be careful. she was still young herself. as they got bigger they were tinkers!! it was madness having four kittens running round!! and willow soon put them in thier place.

ill upload some pics for you. they are tiny when born, and my hubby was so proud hed played midwife and i felt very bad for not bein more sympathtic with her.

also when they get to about 4 wks take them for a check up at the vets to be wormed etc.

we've had 2 cats and had 4litters between them. Honestly cats manage fine on their own so best to just leave them to it. Make sure theres somewhere safe to nest if they want (we left a big cardboard box with old towels in it. mummy cat always had them in obscure places (under an armchair, hall cupboard, under a double bed, in the shed lol) so we just moved them into the box once they had been licked clean.
Mummy cat still went outdoors for toilet etc but never strayed far and if we were going out or if kittens were mewing we'd take the box outside, she'd hear and come running back in.
also, when she is giving birth, she might have 2 kittens then a long break (hours i mean) and have another one or 2. My cat did this and we could tell as we could see the remaining unborn kittens wriggling about lol.
We've seen 14 kittens born and theyve all been well so unsure how common stillborns are.

I can't feel any wriggling yet, she is soooo tired though all she does is sleep on the fish tank. Last week she was round our legs constantly for food, not she's not bothered.

Pictures would be brilliant thank you.

I've watched some you tube videos to sort of get a jist of the idea.

She is quite a small cat, I'm worried that if she's bred with a larger cat, do you think the babies will be big and she may struggle?

x

My cats have had quite a few litters between them. Generally they are fine and just want to be left alone and allowedto have their babies where they choose. Try not to move their babies unless they really did have them in a ridiculousplace as this will make them unhappy.

I did have a bad experience with one of my cats where she had a very difficult birth. She just gave up pushing in the end and I had to help her get the babies out. 4 of the 9 kittens died, the four that died had sadly gone before I checked on her so I didn't leave her after that. I was just glad I was there! Generally birth comes as naturally to them as it does to us.

ETA: My cats are very little and have done the nasty with different sized cats, I haven't noticed it having a particular effect on the size of the babies.

Aww I loved when my cat had kittens :cloud9: but we only allowed it to happen once because it did drain her completely and put her under so much stress.

When she started labour she was acting odd, then all of a sudden she was lying on her back on the couch and then the plug came out, it was pretty gross :lol:

I took her into our spare room and she jumped straight into the open suitcase under the desk we had in there and started getting agitated, all of a sudden she leaped out of the suitcase and the kitten was out but still attached to her thru the placenta, and she started spinning it round trying to get to it to lick it :shock: that was weird.

Anyway, she had four kittens, but she just wasn't interested in cutting the chords or eating the placentas, she had a chew on them but just spat them out, so I had to cut the chords for her, and tie them up so they'd fall off.

Aww the kittens were gorgeous, but we just couldn't do it to her again so got her done as soon as the kittens were weaned.

xo

A little off topic... My cat and I were pregnant together haha. She gave birth to two kittens the Saturday following my daughter's birth. We only recently gave them away... It is sad because Squeakie (my cat) nursed the kittens on the couch next to me when I nursed LO sometimes lol. I've lost my nursing buddy! :(

Squeakie birthed quietly and didn't need any help, it was her first litter. Another cat I have, on the other hand, would NOT birth without me. She (Reba) had three litters (got her fixed since then o.o) and every single one, she waited until I was home and she even gave birth in my bed once (ugh) because I was too tired to stay up with her at her basket. She used me as a focal point when she pushed, I felt awkward haha. Her first litter, she was in labor before I went to school, she was in her basket and everything. I had my mom watch her and when I came home, no kittens. Mom said the second I left, Reba jumped out of the basket and sat by the door. I came home and she IMMEDIATELY (within ten minutes) started popping them out haha. She held them in for HOURS. Cats are naturally great mamas and can take care of business themselves for the most part. Reba is just a needy emotional cat. ^_^

Congrats on your expecting kitty! I'm sure she will handle it just fine, she is at a great age and she will be a good mommy. <3

The last cat I had jumped on the bed and woke me up to have her kittens! she refused to be anywhere other then in my lap while she had all 5 of them!

Thank you for all your replies, guess their like us every birth story is different :thumbup:

I think I will just leave her to it, and hopefully I won't need to intervene. She still isn't interested in her box we have made for her, but I think I'll move her to it when she starts.

awww i hope it is all smooth i dont know much about cat having kittens i have just got 2 kittens but they are 2 boys lol.

i hope u will post a pic one all is well.

make sure when shes nursing them you give her lots and ots of food. almost lost a set of kittens because i wasnt feeding mum enough. thanfully i realised and she fed them all up

Hi, still no kittens, she is a lot bigger though. Still doing all the usual stuff she normally does, she hasn't slowed down. She is more sleepy and a lot more cuddly with me :) Which is odd as she is all for DH.

Will keep you posted x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->