My Crazy Husband is trying to Force Labor?!

MImom2be

Recent Mommy~6-13-13!
Reaction score
Okay, so maybe the title is a hair dramatic, but let me explain...My husband was previously an over-the-road semi truck driver. Meaning he was gone for 4-8wks AT A TIME, without coming home. Yeah...that PROBABLY had a LOT to do with it taking almost 3 years for us to get pregnant...anyway, moot point. He's now hauling steel locally for a few big car companies in the Detroit, MI area. He works 3rd shift and is now home daily!!!! :happydance:

Anywho, he TECHNICALLY hauls for a plant down there, so when the plant runs out of steel to ship, hubby gets laid off. Anywho, they seem pretty mismanaged, because he's been laid off twice since starting work there (a little over three months ago) and usually it's only for a few days, but he was just informed tonight (around 1am) that the plant was going down TODAY for 10 days! Normally NOT an issue, except yeah, heavily pregnant wife, lots of stuff to shop for and save up for, so NO PAYCHECK. :growlmad:

Here's where the title of this comes in. He calls me up (during one of my many, many pee breaks in the middle of the night) and says he wants to talk to me about something important. First, he hits me with the bomb of no paycheck for almost two weeks while we are closing in on our final weeks of pregnancy. THEN, he tells me we should try to "induce labor" while he has the time off, because it's convienent. UM, SERIOUSLY? She'd be at least 2wks premature, my doctors have advised NO SEX, let alone anything else that induces labor because of complications, and honestly, yes it may be "CONVENIENT because of work" for him, but last I checked, I didn't think our pregnancy had to revolve around his work schedule???

Maybe I'm over reacting, and yes, it WOULD be easier (time off wise) if she came now, rather than full term, but I'd rather have her when she's READY and doctors say it's safe than doing unadvised tasks to hurry her up for the sake of Nick's unintended time off. Not to mention, HELLO, NO PAYCHECK! Lets try to rush her along while we have NO INCOME!

*Sigh* Am I being too harsh on him? He's mentioned this like 6 times now (trying to hurry her along before she's 37wks) and it's really starting to piss me off. I was born premie, my dad was born premie and my mom was born premie, and I've heard the stories of how hard it was to be left in the NICU because while the families had to go home, babyless until baby was healthy enough...I've TRIED telling him this, but of course, he was almost a month over due, so his wonderful mother isn't helping my case here.:growlmad:

Put your foot down and say no. He is being very selfish and self centred. Make it non-negotiable because this is your daughter's welfare at stake!

Put your foot down and say no. He is being very selfish and self centred. Make it non-negotiable because this is your daughter's welfare at stake!

Yeah, we just had that talk, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over-reacting here...I can see how he'd see it as convenient for work's sake, but again, I'm not going to try to force her out until it's safe to do so, ya know? He's apologized, and I think I made it clear to him that this insisting upon rushing her arrival talk needs to stop, it ISN'T happening. Doc's told me to take it easy for a reason...

I hate to break it to him but some couples try to induce labour for weeks with no success even after the woman is 40weeks+, So you could spend the whole week or so 'TRYING' to induce labour but at this stage of your pregnancy, Unless you are high risk for pre-term labour etc..., it is highly unlikely anything will happen anyway! I think it's really irresponsible to try and force a baby to come pre-term and risk the baby's health just so it's convenient for him...Babies will come when they are good and ready and not a moment sooner!...The best start in life your baby can get is cooking until its full term, Why wouldn't your husband want that for his child?!? Put your foot down, It's quite shocking he's even thinking like this to be honest!!

Glad he has seen sense :) I don't think you were overreacting. I'd have clouted my fella round the head if he had suggested this lol :)

Thanks ladies, this just reinforces what I had thought; that he was not only seeming selfish, but willing to TRY (whether or not it happened is a moot point) to prematurely force our daughter's arrival just to fit his schedule!

I love him, and he's done/said some pretty stupid $hit, but I just can't even imagine deliberately WANTING a premie?!

Some men just see a big belly and think all is ok and baby is ready. Maybe he doesn't understand the consequences of what he is suggesting.

He probably has not researched enough about the implications of premature birth and does not realise how serious it is. Ask him to do some reading.

My oh was the same but has given up on it.. I have been at high risk since 24 weeks and at 36 weeks was taken off all restrictions so I started walking, sex again, and at 39 weeks now he still not here. I am booked in for a strech and sweep but I still think he will only come when he is ready to and know sooner

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->