my darling 29+2 weeker in scbu

mum2eliza

Reaction score
my darling 29+2 weeker in scbu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey ladies its been three weeks now and eliza has been moved to scbu after spending one night in nicu ....she started off having a bit of feeding prob known as asprits but that has calm down is now on 11mls of milk per hour ,she breaths on her own but for the past couple of days she has been having desats (pauses when breathing) which is common but they have been dropping to 50 n below and has been rubbed to wake up again twice its very scary as im there when she does it and holding her. it could be apena but was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on this or has gone through the same thing docters are running full set of bloods to see if infection is brewing but apart from that she looks well ,she feeding ect

Apnea is almost always present under 30 weeks, usually caffeine is given to help with this. Our lad had very few episodes but our lass was having them for weeks, some very bad when her sats hit single digits. It's scary at first but you quickly get to handle it. The nurses would rub her back to bring her round but I found tickling her feet to be very effective. We did have one very bad episode a couple of weeks before we came home which took some work but that was really the last one. Anyway, we found that feeding tended to bring them on so gaviscon and rinitidine was prescribed. We did have other complications but it doesn't sound like your girl has them.

If she's feeding well and looks well then I'd try to relax, the nurses will be doing blood gas tests on a regular basis and blood tests don't take that long to come back (unless they're looking for things like chronic jaundice or CF). They might just give a course of antibiotics as a precaution, I know ours had a couple of courses just in case.

It is tough going no doubt about it but until you're told otherwise try to take it that everything is going well.

My daughter (born at 29+4) had de-sats up until a couple of days before going home. With her they were caused by reflux they were mainly self correcting but on occassion she needed facial oxygen when they dropped very low (occassionally below 20). She was put on a small amount of o2 for a few weeks to give her a rest but they started up again. She was given gaviscon for reflux and they settled down.

Try not to worry too much once they can identify whats causing them there may be a quick way of solving them. For Lydia they were worse after feeds and improved if she was held upright. If its similar for Eliza, Gaviscon may help x

my wee man was born at 25 weeks, and he had caffeine til 34 weeks, its pretty common for preemie babies to have them, they just forget to breathe sometimes, As ur wee one gets a bit bigger they will grow out of it. Giving them a little shake works or a little rub,U do get used to it tho. Reece had it after he come off caffeine but only hen he was going to be sick, we learned to read reece rather than the machines, We were in hospital 102 days so I suppose we had to get used to him, makes it bit easier rather than fixated on the machines xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->