my diapers always stink now

Marie000

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My diapers smell even after they are washed.

I tried strip-washing (by hand with dish soap) and it didn't help.

Here's my normal cleaning routine:
I wash the diapers every 2-3 days. I use soap made specifically for diapers and I use the recommended amount. I always wash in cold water (hot water doesn't work on my machine) and do an extra rinse. I used to air dry all the time, but now I air dry the diapers and dry the inserts in the dryer. (forgot to mention, they're pocket diapers)

The smell mostly comes from the diapers themselves, not the inserts.

I thought about increasing the amount of soap, but that would probably mean even more rinsing.
Is there anything else I could be doing wrong? Anything that could help?

I was washing in warm water but when my son started pooping more on solids I found I really needed to use a hot wash or I could still smell poop, especially on the inserts. But you say your inserts don't smell?

What do they smell like? Poop, ammonia, I assume they don't smell like detergent.

My pockets and covers/wraps always stink too, but the inserts and prefolds don't. It's a pee smell for me, not ammonia as such, just smells like urine.

Doesn't matter what heat or how many rinses I do. Line dry or tumble dry, they smell icky.

I rinse every nappy by hand as its removed, long wash, 3 rinses and cloth safe detergent.

If your diapers smell like pee or poo when washed, essentially it means that they are not getting cleaned properly. Rinsing will not clean bacteria.

Dish soap is not an adequate "stripping method" for the issues you are experiencing. Dawn can be used individually on a diaper that may have some cream build up and repelling issues.

I know you mentioned the basics, but what specifically is your wash routine? What kind of washer, how many diapers and on what load size? Do you have hard water? What kind of detergent are you using? if you run me through your exact routine, I can make some suggestions.

adrie, what would make the pockets or covers stink but not the prefolds in my case? I'd appreciate some ideas :)

It seems to me that artificial fabric gets stinky but not natural stuff.

If your diapers smell like pee or poo when washed, essentially it means that they are not getting cleaned properly. Rinsing will not clean bacteria.

Dish soap is not an adequate "stripping method" for the issues you are experiencing. Dawn can be used individually on a diaper that may have some cream build up and repelling issues.

I know you mentioned the basics, but what specifically is your wash routine? What kind of washer, how many diapers and on what load size? Do you have hard water? What kind of detergent are you using? if you run me through your exact routine, I can make some suggestions.

I have a top load washer, roughly 12-16 diapers at a time (plus wipes and usually a wet bag or two). I use the largest load size on my machine, even if the diapers only fill it about 1/3 of the way. The detergent I use is one made specifically for diapers and sold at a local bulk store. It's a local brand.

Is there another stripping method I could use or is stripping not going to help?

adrie, what would make the pockets or covers stink but not the prefolds in my case? I'd appreciate some ideas :)

It seems to me that artificial fabric gets stinky but not natural stuff.

What is your wash routine? Do you have hard water? What kind of washer do you use and what kind of detergent? How many diapers for what load size?

Microfiber is notorious for trapping bacteria if that is what you use. Some could be smelling and harboring bacteria out of more usage as well. For example, some of my inserts were similar to what you are describing--a pee or unclean smell--but not super strong, just not clean. Maybe some of your synthetic materials just happened to have absorbed more urine/poop than some others by mere chance.

Either way, it really does mean they are not getting clean and your wash routine needs to be tweaked a bit. Clean diapers should never smell bad.

I have a top load washer, roughly 12-16 diapers at a time (plus wipes and usually a wet bag or two). I use the largest load size on my machine, even if the diapers only fill it about 1/3 of the way. The detergent I use is one made specifically for diapers and sold at a local bulk store. It's a local brand.

Is there another stripping method I could use or is stripping not going to help?

Do you have a top loading, standard washer, and not an HE washer?
Do you do a pre-rinse or quick wash prior to the main wash cycle?

If you have any measure of hard water, (you can find out that info online or locally) I would actually suggest a mineral strip first--which I could assist you with, and that can help you remove any build up and start fresh with some tweaking on your wash routine.

If you have a standard, Non-HE washer, it definitely sounds like you are using too much water. You want to make sure that there is a "stew like" consistency, not a "soup-like" consistency, so that diapers have opportunity for friction and can agitate against each other. That is a really important factor for cleaning them properly.

If you can let me know about those 2 top questions, I can make further suggestions.

Do you have a top loading, standard washer, and not an HE washer?
Do you do a pre-rinse or quick wash prior to the main wash cycle?

If you have any measure of hard water, (you can find out that info online or locally) I would actually suggest a mineral strip first--which I could assist you with, and that can help you remove any build up and start fresh with some tweaking on your wash routine.

If you have a standard, Non-HE washer, it definitely sounds like you are using too much water. You want to make sure that there is a "stew like" consistency, not a "soup-like" consistency, so that diapers have opportunity for friction and can agitate against each other. That is a really important factor for cleaning them properly.

If you can let me know about those 2 top questions, I can make further suggestions.

It is a standard washer. I don't think I have hard water. I don't do a pre-rinse or quick wash first.

Next time I'll do a pre-rinse and then wash with less water.

Okay, that sounds like a good start.That many diapers is nowhere near a large load size, and especially so for a standard washer. I say that is a small or medium sized load; I wonder if you can program it to start on small and if there is too little water to then convert it to a medium load?

So you don't think you have hard water, but you're not certain? That is really important info to find out for cloth diapering because it can make all the difference in your wash routine. For example, it is suggested that those with hard water use a water softener to help the detergent do its job. (I use one for every cycle and we have hard to extremely hard water here).

Contrary to popular belief in the cloth diaper community, less detergent is not better as well, and especially for those with hard water. If you have hard water, it is actually suggested for you to use more detergent because it is difficult for it to cut through all of the minerals to properly clean your laundry and diapers. Also, if you are using a "soap" rather than a detergent, that CAN actually build up on your diapers (think soap scum), while detergent is made to rinse clean. Additionally, "Detergent build up" is actually confused for mineral build up. (60% of people in the UK and 85% of people in North America have some measure of hard water).

If you let me know how it's going, I can help further. My guess is that if you have a lot of build up, you may need to do a mineral strip if you have any measure of hard water to start. Then alter your routine to stop it from happening again.

I don't use microfiber, I use bamboo and cotton prefolds. Those parts don't smell at all, they have a crisp, clean fresh smell. Is only pocket outers (with micro fleece lining) and bummis super whisper wraps that retain any smell.

Top loader, 5kg capacity machine, not over filled. I use a liquid or powder detergent, depends on what's cheaper that week at the supermarket. Fragrance free, but mainly because I hate perfumes and they make me sneeze. Can only do a cold wash as that is all that is available, there is no hot water tap in the laundry, though sometimes I fill the machine with hot water using a bucket.

No idea if the water is hard, I don't know what that even is. How would I know?

I usually line dry.

I have made a few changes. I'm not dry soaking in a bucket now, I'm pre-rinsing the covers and inners in hot water now, using more detergent and one less rinse and the smell has gone. I did no pre-rinse, a long cycle with 3 rinses and less detergent before.

I use plant based detergents for all washing (nappies, clothes, dishes, hair etc) and saw you said they need some heat to work?

I would definitely agree that some heat in the water will help. Cold water doesn't help the detergent get going properly so even heating the water a little should help.

Synthetics can trap nasties because of the structure of the fibres - whether that is too much detergent or too little meaning that dirt is left behind. I'm yet to be convinced that hard water deposits are a bigger problem than either of those! Cold rinsing will not leave mineral deposits behind, only heated water will really do that. I'd just wash any smelly nappies with a full dose of detergent and lots of water, rinsing until all the detergent is gone. Sometimes it can help to use a different detergent to your usual one, same as switching shampoos can be good sometimes. You can use cloth or normal detergents; it is absolutely not true that nappy companies only make them to make money as some people want to believe.

After you've cleaned out any gunk, wash with whatever dose of detergent you're comfortable with. If that's a full dose, go for it. If you want to keep it down, maybe go for 1/4 or 1/3 dose (start with a full dose if it's cloth detergent). Sniff them when they come out - if they've not been washed properly you'll know! If that's the case, put them straight back in and rewash with more detergent. If they're still smelling of detergent, that is a clear indicator that there is still detergent in your nappies. "Designed to rinse clean" is not true of most brands. Optical brighteners are designed to stay in fabrics to help them reflect light better (makes them look sparkly white!), fragrance is designed to be left on fabrics so you think how wonderfully clean your stuff is. Some machines are simply better at rinsing than others! Mine is terrible - great wash but poor rinsing = not much detergent needed but extra rinses are.

You can get little testing strips for water hardness - one came with the dishwasher when we bought that or I think you can just buy them cheaply online. Or look up your water company and they probably have something telling you - here they call it a water quality report. You might need to scan through a few pages of stuff about what bugs they found in the water and water hardness will just be a little bit with it given in a few different measurements. You can normally tell if you have hard water though - do you get white scaly bits in your kettle that fall off and ruin your tea after a while? If you go away from your area, do you need more or less shampoo to get the same bubbles on your hair? If you need a lot to bubble up (taking into account how much hair you have and how dirty it was), you probably have harder water.

Minties, for what it is worth, I had some stink issues with Bummis Super Whisper Wraps when I was using them (back when my LO was in small sizes), too. It always seemed to be the leg elastic areas that would smell. When she outgrew them I changed to Blueberry Coveralls and never had another issue. I wonder if it is something about those wraps that make them hold on to stink?

adrie, Can you please talk me through a mineral strip? I have hard well water here and am currently using an old top loader, cold pre-rinse, warm wash with hard water nappy powder detergent, 3 rinses. I also pre-rinse everything and rinse and wring my night nappies lots of times then a hot hand rinse or 2 to get rid of ammonia smells then dry pail. I wash every second day.

I am using mixture of microfibre pockets, bamboo and cotton boosters and bamboo fitted night nappies. I'd say the bamboo is holding minerals and not getting clean enough - I usually air dry only but had to finish them off by the fire last night and there was a definite whiff of warm pee. Not ammonia. I stripped all the bamboo only a couple of weeks ago, using sodium percarbonate with a bit of sodium carbonate to soften the water, soaked in hot water overnight then washed. They were fine but the problem seems to be returning quite fast.

Hope you can tell me how to do a mineral strip and I'm going to try to use less water during the wash too - I think they may be too soupy - good description!

I don't use microfiber, I use bamboo and cotton prefolds. Those parts don't smell at all, they have a crisp, clean fresh smell. Is only pocket outers (with micro fleece lining) and bummis super whisper wraps that retain any smell.

Top loader, 5kg capacity machine, not over filled. I use a liquid or powder detergent, depends on what's cheaper that week at the supermarket. Fragrance free, but mainly because I hate perfumes and they make me sneeze. Can only do a cold wash as that is all that is available, there is no hot water tap in the laundry, though sometimes I fill the machine with hot water using a bucket.

No idea if the water is hard, I don't know what that even is. How would I know?

I usually line dry.

I have made a few changes. I'm not dry soaking in a bucket now, I'm pre-rinsing the covers and inners in hot water now, using more detergent and one less rinse and the smell has gone. I did no pre-rinse, a long cycle with 3 rinses and less detergent before.

I use plant based detergents for all washing (nappies, clothes, dishes, hair etc) and saw you said they need some heat to work?

Unfortunately, plant based detergents require hot water to wash effectively. I use Tide, and so that doesn't matter--in fact most of my wash (prewash and the main cycle) is warm to cold.

Issues can arise overtime that are not apparent right away, and as you've seen, can vary depending on the materials used in your nappies.

As far as finding out if you have hard water, I just searched locally online and all of the information was posted on our city's website. You could try something similar, or call a city number if available. I know there are also testing kits that you can purchase which directly test your own water source as well.

adrie, Can you please talk me through a mineral strip? I have hard well water here and am currently using an old top loader, cold pre-rinse, warm wash with hard water nappy powder detergent, 3 rinses. I also pre-rinse everything and rinse and wring my night nappies lots of times then a hot hand rinse or 2 to get rid of ammonia smells then dry pail. I wash every second day.

I am using mixture of microfibre pockets, bamboo and cotton boosters and bamboo fitted night nappies. I'd say the bamboo is holding minerals and not getting clean enough - I usually air dry only but had to finish them off by the fire last night and there was a definite whiff of warm pee. Not ammonia. I stripped all the bamboo only a couple of weeks ago, using sodium percarbonate with a bit of sodium carbonate to soften the water, soaked in hot water overnight then washed. They were fine but the problem seems to be returning quite fast.

Hope you can tell me how to do a mineral strip and I'm going to try to use less water during the wash too - I think they may be too soupy - good description!

Unfortunately, sodium percarbonate is basically just baking soda or washing soda, and is most likely not enough.

It's true, any time nappies smell--something is wrong in the routine. No one should have to strip and it's definitely not something that would be a regular occurrance.

If you have hard water, you can either buy a product called RLR (search online) or you can make your own mix with one tbsp calgon, 1 tbsp washing soda, and one tbsp borax. This will make enough for half of a bathtub of water; if you need a full tub, mix a double batch of 2 tbsp each. Add the 3 products to HOT water and swish around good before adding all of your cloth and nappies. Soak until the water is completely cold.

If you are experiencing any mold or ammonia, I would suggest a bleach soak afterward, as that is the easiest, most cost effective method for stripping after any hard water build up has been removed.

But before that, I would definitely suggest tweaking your wash routine so you don't have to strip or bleach again.

So you are using a cloth specific detergent? If that is the kind you want to use, I would suggest you use a lot more of it, as they are weaker than mainstream detergents. Personally, I would not recommend them at all, but to each her own.

Also, you can add a water softener like borax or calgon to each main wash of nappies to help inhibit hard water buildup. Also, if after your main wash, your diapers are not soapy or slimy feeling, extra rinses are not necessary and are actually counterproductive as they will redeposit minerals onto your diapers.

I would definitely agree that some heat in the water will help. Cold water doesn't help the detergent get going properly so even heating the water a little should help.

Synthetics can trap nasties because of the structure of the fibres - whether that is too much detergent or too little meaning that dirt is left behind. I'm yet to be convinced that hard water deposits are a bigger problem than either of those! Cold rinsing will not leave mineral deposits behind, only heated water will really do that. I'd just wash any smelly nappies with a full dose of detergent and lots of water, rinsing until all the detergent is gone. Sometimes it can help to use a different detergent to your usual one, same as switching shampoos can be good sometimes. You can use cloth or normal detergents; it is absolutely not true that nappy companies only make them to make money as some people want to believe.

After you've cleaned out any gunk, wash with whatever dose of detergent you're comfortable with. If that's a full dose, go for it. If you want to keep it down, maybe go for 1/4 or 1/3 dose (start with a full dose if it's cloth detergent). Sniff them when they come out - if they've not been washed properly you'll know! If that's the case, put them straight back in and rewash with more detergent. If they're still smelling of detergent, that is a clear indicator that there is still detergent in your nappies. "Designed to rinse clean" is not true of most brands. Optical brighteners are designed to stay in fabrics to help them reflect light better (makes them look sparkly white!), fragrance is designed to be left on fabrics so you think how wonderfully clean your stuff is. Some machines are simply better at rinsing than others! Mine is terrible - great wash but poor rinsing = not much detergent needed but extra rinses are.

You can get little testing strips for water hardness - one came with the dishwasher when we bought that or I think you can just buy them cheaply online. Or look up your water company and they probably have something telling you - here they call it a water quality report. You might need to scan through a few pages of stuff about what bugs they found in the water and water hardness will just be a little bit with it given in a few different measurements. You can normally tell if you have hard water though - do you get white scaly bits in your kettle that fall off and ruin your tea after a while? If you go away from your area, do you need more or less shampoo to get the same bubbles on your hair? If you need a lot to bubble up (taking into account how much hair you have and how dirty it was), you probably have harder water.

I realize that you and I differ with pretty much everything in terms of CD, but I will post a response for anyone who would like the information.

Cold water is fine to use if a person is using a strong, mainstream detergent, but not a plant based one, as they requires hot water to work effectively. Strong mainstream detergents would be detergents such as Tide, Gain, etc., here in Canada; people can search out comparable brands in their own countries if interested.

Hard water minerals are present regardless of the temperature of the water. Not quite sure where you have found info to the contrary... ? An easy way to prove this would be to do a water strip test in cold water.

Optical brighteners will not effect the efficacy of diaper absorbancy, nor will they make them smell. They are a non issue in terms of CD. As are enzymes, which essentially attack poop and bacteria.

Unfortunately, washing with too little detergent may not make issues arise immediately, but can do so overtime. Detergent dosage shouldn't be some exact science as most people have diaper loads of various sizes from time to time, which may require more or less water/detergent but not so much so that it seems daunting to try to figure out.

To use myself as an example, I always use the scooper provided in the box and scoop to line 1 for my prerinse regardless of the amount of nappies washed (generally 12-16 w/ 1 insert each and maybe a wet bag) and to line 2 in the main wash with 2 tbsp calgon for up to 18 nappies with 1 insert each max. That's it, simple and easy. An extra rinse at the end of the main cycle and that is it. We have hard to extremely hard water here and I use a front loading machine.

If anyone is using a fragrance detergent, I'm not so sure they are worried about fragrance, and truly, as long as they don't feel soapy or slimy, there is truly no need to rinse until all detergent smell is gone. This poster may not believe hard water exists :shrug: but it does. If you have hard water and you are rinsing like mad because of some light smell of detergent, it truly will work against you and redeposit those minerals onto your diapers, regardless of temperature.

Of course anyone is free to use whatever they want to clean their diapers, and however much, but I strongly suggest you consider your detergent kind as well as the amount used if you consistently encounter issues of any kind.

Adrie what is the problem you see with hard water? If the minerals stay in the water, they are NOT in your nappies, they wash down the drain with the water in the same way they came in. If you don't change the temperature of the water (like when you do a cold rinse, which is the way most, if not all, machines rinse here in the UK), you don't change the carbon dioxide in the water, meaning you don't change the way the water is acidic enough to keep the minerals dissolved. Rinsing in cold water doesn't release the CO2 so the minerals don't precipitate so they aren't stuck in anything (other than the water!). Testing your water will show what minerals are in the water but it says nothing about what will be left behind after a wash/rinse.

If you want to see it for yourself, get a jug of water, a kettle and a glasses. Pour a glass of water into your kettle, boil it. Pour out the water and repeat many times. If you have hard water, the heat will make the minerals precipitate and you'll see the build up in your kettle. Now repeat the experiment but don't heat the water. Pour a glass of water into your cold kettle, let it sit for a minute, sloosh it around if you want. Repeat as many times as you did the hot water. You'll not see any mineral fuzz because you haven't heated the water so the deposits have poured out of the kettle with the water. The same happens in your washing machine - if you don't heat the water, the minerals stay in the water NOT the nappies. My memory is pretty fuzzy but we learned about acid rain and mineral deposits when we were about 13. It's not that complicated.

I'm not sure how you can on one hand claim that hard water deposits are terrible but deposits of anything else (like fragrance or brighteners) are fine. This goes very much against the experience of many people and the recommendations of many nappy manufacturers. I've asked you several times if you have any references to support these claims of yours but you have yet to give any. I accept that you don't have problems with detergent build up but lots of other people do. You can't just dismiss that.

Unfortunately, sodium percarbonate is basically just baking soda or washing soda, and is most likely not enough.

Believe what you like about the efficacy of sodium percarbonate but no, it is not baking soda! Want to add it to your cakes? Yummy.

Sodium percarbonate is made from sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide. The important bit is the hydrogen peroxide; the sodium carbonate is used to make the liquid into a powder form so it's easy and safe to cart around.

Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate. They all have different properties which is why you can't eat washing soda or sodium percarbonate.

I've read up on hard water in terms of how it relates to my CD'ing and I believe in products such as RLR, that are even specifically marketed toward it for that purpose.

You believe detergent build up causes repelling and I believe hard water causes build up of detergent and other bacteria; it is what it is I guess. I use a full dose of detergent in a front loader with really hard water 3-4 times per week on my nappies for months and months and I have no issues, never had to strip. Proof enough for me that detergent build up does not exist, along with countless testimonials of other women who CD. Also, my microfiber inserts are more absorbent with more use from what I've noticed. People can do a wee bit of searching around and decide for themselves what they believe. To each her own.

Also, regardless of the components in sodium percarbonate, I am in no way surprised it wasn't sufficient for stripping (it's just oxyclean, which is a booster for detergent and can help w/ staining). But again, to each her own. It's not the first time I have read on here that it wasn't enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->