my diapers always stink now

adrie, Can you please talk me through a mineral strip? I have hard well water here and am currently using an old top loader, cold pre-rinse, warm wash with hard water nappy powder detergent, 3 rinses. I also pre-rinse everything and rinse and wring my night nappies lots of times then a hot hand rinse or 2 to get rid of ammonia smells then dry pail. I wash every second day.

I am using mixture of microfibre pockets, bamboo and cotton boosters and bamboo fitted night nappies. I'd say the bamboo is holding minerals and not getting clean enough - I usually air dry only but had to finish them off by the fire last night and there was a definite whiff of warm pee. Not ammonia. I stripped all the bamboo only a couple of weeks ago, using sodium percarbonate with a bit of sodium carbonate to soften the water, soaked in hot water overnight then washed. They were fine but the problem seems to be returning quite fast.

Hope you can tell me how to do a mineral strip and I'm going to try to use less water during the wash too - I think they may be too soupy - good description!

Unfortunately, sodium percarbonate is basically just baking soda or washing soda, and is most likely not enough.

It's true, any time nappies smell--something is wrong in the routine. No one should have to strip and it's definitely not something that would be a regular occurrance.

If you have hard water, you can either buy a product called RLR (search online) or you can make your own mix with one tbsp calgon, 1 tbsp washing soda, and one tbsp borax. This will make enough for half of a bathtub of water; if you need a full tub, mix a double batch of 2 tbsp each. Add the 3 products to HOT water and swish around good before adding all of your cloth and nappies. Soak until the water is completely cold.

If you are experiencing any mold or ammonia, I would suggest a bleach soak afterward, as that is the easiest, most cost effective method for stripping after any hard water build up has been removed.

But before that, I would definitely suggest tweaking your wash routine so you don't have to strip or bleach again.

So you are using a cloth specific detergent? If that is the kind you want to use, I would suggest you use a lot more of it, as they are weaker than mainstream detergents. Personally, I would not recommend them at all, but to each her own.

Also, you can add a water softener like borax or calgon to each main wash of nappies to help inhibit hard water buildup. Also, if after your main wash, your diapers are not soapy or slimy feeling, extra rinses are not necessary and are actually counterproductive as they will redeposit minerals onto your diapers.

She used a product that is mostly washing soda, added more washing soda, and you tell her washing soda just won't do, instead she needs a product consisting of... washing soda. Lol!

Washing soda is actually my magic funk remover, though. I soak it in the washer with hot for a couple hours, then toss in some detergent and proceed with the wash.

adrie, Can you please talk me through a mineral strip? I have hard well water here and am currently using an old top loader, cold pre-rinse, warm wash with hard water nappy powder detergent, 3 rinses. I also pre-rinse everything and rinse and wring my night nappies lots of times then a hot hand rinse or 2 to get rid of ammonia smells then dry pail. I wash every second day.

I am using mixture of microfibre pockets, bamboo and cotton boosters and bamboo fitted night nappies. I'd say the bamboo is holding minerals and not getting clean enough - I usually air dry only but had to finish them off by the fire last night and there was a definite whiff of warm pee. Not ammonia. I stripped all the bamboo only a couple of weeks ago, using sodium percarbonate with a bit of sodium carbonate to soften the water, soaked in hot water overnight then washed. They were fine but the problem seems to be returning quite fast.

Hope you can tell me how to do a mineral strip and I'm going to try to use less water during the wash too - I think they may be too soupy - good description!

Unfortunately, sodium percarbonate is basically just baking soda or washing soda, and is most likely not enough.

It's true, any time nappies smell--something is wrong in the routine. No one should have to strip and it's definitely not something that would be a regular occurrance.

If you have hard water, you can either buy a product called RLR (search online) or you can make your own mix with one tbsp calgon, 1 tbsp washing soda, and one tbsp borax. This will make enough for half of a bathtub of water; if you need a full tub, mix a double batch of 2 tbsp each. Add the 3 products to HOT water and swish around good before adding all of your cloth and nappies. Soak until the water is completely cold.

If you are experiencing any mold or ammonia, I would suggest a bleach soak afterward, as that is the easiest, most cost effective method for stripping after any hard water build up has been removed.

But before that, I would definitely suggest tweaking your wash routine so you don't have to strip or bleach again.

So you are using a cloth specific detergent? If that is the kind you want to use, I would suggest you use a lot more of it, as they are weaker than mainstream detergents. Personally, I would not recommend them at all, but to each her own.

Also, you can add a water softener like borax or calgon to each main wash of nappies to help inhibit hard water buildup. Also, if after your main wash, your diapers are not soapy or slimy feeling, extra rinses are not necessary and are actually counterproductive as they will redeposit minerals onto your diapers.

She used a product that is mostly washing soda, added more washing soda, and you tell her washing soda just won't do, instead she needs a product consisting of... washing soda. Lol!

Washing soda is actually my magic funk remover, though. I soak it in the washer with hot for a couple hours, then toss in some detergent and proceed with the wash.

Uh, no. I could see if I told her to use a product that only contained washing soda, but I did not.

RLR is not just washing soda...it is 1/3 washing soda. Oxy clean is not the same thing as RLR and it is not even manufactured as a stripping agent. Calgon and borax are needed to make the RLR strip along with the washing soda.

People can try your method or look into store bought or "home made" RLR. Just putting it out there for them if they want.

https://www.momsmilkboutique.com/RLR.html

Adrie, you never just put anything out there for people. You always make sure to say everyone else is wrong but you, and only your method will work. That's why your posts are so unhelpful. Lots of different methods will work, and they don't all involve Tide, chlorine bleach, or RLR.

When my daughter was 2 she absolutely refused to believe that polar bears are real because she'd never seen one and neither had her friends. I had to tell her that I'd never seen one either so she concluded that they were made up. Not bad for a 2 year old but in an adult it would be funny. The idea that you haven't experienced detergent build up yourself and neither have other people you've spoken to doesn't mean that it doesn't exist! That is not the logical conclusion. It's not 'proof enough', it's no proof at all.

If you want to discuss actual reasons, you know, like science and stuff, I would love to do that but so far all you seem able to do is throw around words like 'misinformation' and 'myth' but you haven't provided anything vaguely factual to support your beliefs. All you have is 'I haven't seen it so it doesn't exist'.

On one hand you tell us that everybody is just out to make MONEY (nappy manufacturers, nappy detergent makers) so they can't be trusted to sell us products that work or give good advice but then you tell us that other products like RLR are made to solve certain problems so of course THEIR manufacturers are telling the truth, as are detergent manufacturers when they tell us their product rinses clean. I'd love to know how you decide which are which... and I mean with logic or science, not just 'I haven't seen it so it doesn't exist'.

Perhaps you could start by taking us through how you think mineral deposits are left on fabrics. What causes the minerals to precipitate? The reading I've done has led me to believe that it's the change in temperature and I've explained how I came to that conclusion several times. If you're serious about convincing people you're right, you should consider talking us through how you came to yours. I've been around cloth websites and forums for long enough to have changed my views several times - I'm not going to dismiss something because I don't like it, I'd rather be shown I was wrong and change my opinion than be left being wrong if I am! If you have real facts, please share them!

This is old news. Nowhere in any of my posts the last little while have I used those terms, and I'm no longer going to address it.

I post in threads of those asking for suggestions and advice, not in threads talking about the scientific proof behind my suggestions. That is your forte, so be it. You can make a thread providing all of your own findings if you like. Never once have I made any personal suggestions to you, nor have I felt as though I have to prove anything.

Adrie, you never just put anything out there for people. You always make sure to say everyone else is wrong but you, and only your method will work. That's why your posts are so unhelpful. Lots of different methods will work, and they don't all involve Tide, chlorine bleach, or RLR.

Actually, I did just put it out there in that post.

The problem and what is so daunting about cloth diapering, is that SO many methods are suggested on a one on one basis. Cloth diapering is actually very simple and is made to seem very complex and specific when it need not be. All each of us has to do is find a detergent we like (and/or feel comfortable using), and develop a good wash routine. Unfortunately sometimes what we feel best about using isn't sufficient, and many of us just want what works with as little issue or tweaking as possible.

Okay, here. I decided to take 5 minutes and search out hard water minerals in relation to cold water. This is a simple diagram. Apparently colder water holds onto calcium and makes it less soluble than hotter water temperatures.

https://www.gewater.com/handbook/cooling_water_systems/fig30-4.jsp

Also, hard water builds up in colder water as well, such as toilet bowls.

The problem and what is so daunting about cloth diapering, is that SO many methods are suggested on a one on one basis. Cloth diapering is actually very simple and is made to seem very complex and specific when it need not be. All each of us has to do is find a detergent we like (and/or feel comfortable using), and develop a good wash routine. Unfortunately sometimes what we feel best about using isn't sufficient, and many of us just want what works with as little issue or tweaking as possible.

The problem is that sometimes it takes months to find out you have a problem with your routine because the build up takes time to start getting stinky. Then they pop on this thread and look for alternatives. So I agree, it is easy once you've found the right routine, but not everyone is so lucky to have found it on the first attempt and has to don sunglasses in order to do a diaper change.

I experienced a build up about 2 months in, and after having done a strip and decreasing the amount of detergent I was using, I haven't had any major problems in 6 months. To me, that is a good indication of detergent build up, but of course I never took it to a lab to have it analyzed, so I can't be sure.

The problem and what is so daunting about cloth diapering, is that SO many methods are suggested on a one on one basis. Cloth diapering is actually very simple and is made to seem very complex and specific when it need not be. All each of us has to do is find a detergent we like (and/or feel comfortable using), and develop a good wash routine. Unfortunately sometimes what we feel best about isn't sufficient, and many of us just want what works with as little issue or tweaking as possible.

Well many others of us want options that aren't as nasty as enzyme-laden (and awful smelling) Tide, which can cause issues with our little ones' skin, or chlorine bleach, which several posters have pointed out that they don't want to use. You're posting in the natural parenting section, remember? A lot of us are cloth diapering to keep our babies away from harsh chemicals. And as others have pointed out, issues with buildup can take longer to surface than you've even been cloth diapering.

Fair enough. There are chemicals in everything though, even in the air we breathe. As another example, check out GSE or GSOs components and see how natural that is. Yet it is touted as something natural in the CD community.

I talk about tide but I've also mentioned free and clear detergents. Ya'll are going to use whatever it is you want, but like I said, diapers will never stink, cause rashes or repel if they are cleaned properly. It is extremely toxic and harmful to put babies in unclean diapers.

Regardless I am not going to stop posting info I have learned and gathered, nor am I going to engage in any petty debates because a few of you don't care for me.

QUOTE from sheldonsmommy

I experienced a build up about 2 months in, and after having done a strip and decreasing the amount of detergent I was using, I haven't had any major problems in 6 months. To me, that is a good indication of detergent build up, but of course I never took it to a lab to have it analyzed, so I can't be sure.

So no 'major' issues, but still minor stink/repelling? We all know that issues of any kind indicate a problem in the wash routine and not even minor stink or repelling issues will happen if the wash routine is solid.

^That seems very much like you want to perpetuate a petty argument. Your arrogance is actually baffling.

Like I mentioned before, for some people it takes time. Most people encounter some sort of issue along the way.

When my son started solids, his poop became more difficult to wash out of my inserts with just a warm wash, so I switched to a hot wash. Crisis averted. But thank you for your genuine concern...

Not really. I asked because I was curious to know the answer, not argue.

Funny thing is though, it actually is a problem with the prep for the wash routine. I went through the exact opposite thing as you about 3 months in as my LO is FF and I always rinsed all of soiled microfiber inserts before throwing them in a closed hanging diaper bag.

Then they started to develop a musty smell, I bleach soaked them, got an open trash can and the issue is gone. Luckily my washer gets rid of any staining on them as I have seen a lot of staining issues with others.

Fair enough. There are chemicals in everything though, even in the air we breathe. As another example, check out GSE or GSOs components and see how natural that is. Yet it is touted as something natural in the CD community.

I talk about tide but I've also mentioned free and clear detergents. Ya'll are going to use whatever it is you want, but like I said, diapers will never stink, cause rashes or repel if they are cleaned properly. It is extremely toxic and harmful to put babies in unclean diapers.

Regardless I am not going to stop posting info I have learned and gathered, nor am I going to engage in any petty debates because a few of you don't care for me.

I don't cloth diaper but you have a really crummy attitude...

I don't see how that post was so bad? It's merely the truth. Despite the fact, how is that a productive or helpful comment whatsoever?

I think we should just stick to the issue at hand rather than trying to make others feel bad. No one is going to bully me off this forum nor has the power to make me feel bad about myself.

I suggest other people not take things so personally and assume I'm saying or thinking things I'm likely not, and I will do the same.

When my daughter was 2 she absolutely refused to believe that polar bears are real because she'd never seen one and neither had her friends. I had to tell her that I'd never seen one either so she concluded that they were made up.

I love the way little kids reason. This has brightened my day a little.

Thanks for that Adrie, but sodium percarbonate is not washing soda. It breaks down to become washing soda once it has released it's oxygen and mixed with the sodium carbonate (washing soda) it actually did defunk very well, it just has recurred quite fast, maybe I needed to repeat it.

I can't get Clagon here I don't think, does anyone have the chemical makeup of it and I can source the raw ingredients? No Idea what RLR is and I won't use bleach if at all possible. Aside from the fact I don't want it near my baby's skin, it can't go down my drains - I have a wastewater treatment system called a Biolytix, basically a worm farm that eats our poos (I hope I never come back as one of those worms!) and bleach kills them quite successfully. Anything strong I use a bucket and toss it outside.

On the subject of buildups - I come from Scotland originally and we have really soft water there, detergent buildup absolutely can be a real issue where there is not hard water. Now here in NZ I have pretty hard water from a bore so have to find a different solution to a different problem, I can see why you would believe that detergent buildup doesn't exist if you have never lived in an area without hard water but it absolutely does, I can assure you.

There is unfortunately no one-stop-shop for solutions to CD issues, you have to find the source of the problem first and these can vary. Mine I think is a combo of hard water/old clunker of a machine/too much water and possibly me doing warm washes/teething child with really strong pee at the moment.

I was hoping for an easy and proven mineral removal system, as I feel that if minerals are present, they can absorb bacteria (as is definitely a problem with iron-rich water) and hold smells.

Does anyone think if I wash cold it will stop the buildup of minerals in the cloth? I thought it was the combination of the detergent binding with the minerals that caused the buildup but happy for any science to tell me how to minimise this! If it is cold washing that will be great for the power bill but I do like to do warm washes to get rid of any bacteria, but the sun here is very strong in summer so that should take care of them and i could do the odd hot wash only as a precaution. I've never had any thrush issues or bad rashes anyway. (so far, touch wood, better not tempt fate!)

I do use washing soda as a softener with every wash, it's part of the nappy specific powder.

To address another post - enzymes left in nappies can actually be a massive problem, as enzymes digest organic materials, so poop, sometimes the cloth if it is natural but most importantly, can start to digest your babies skin! This is why enzyme free detergents are recommended, I absolutely would never use them in an area that is damp and warm, ideal digestive conditions.

Also, ANY smells left in nappies indicates a residue - if it is poo or wee you can smell then they are not getting clean enough or have a buildup of something that is holding the particles or bacteria to smell. If it is perfume you can smell then the detergent is leaving a residue. Clean nappies should smell of nothing.

My Mum once wanted to get stains out of my DD'd cotton bib years ago so soaked it in bleach, rinsed it several times then put it through the machine. next time I used it, it burned her chin instantly it got wet, I was livid, she was mortified, she had no idea it could stay through all of that. I was unpacking stuff for my wee boy recently and came across it, it still made me angry! I will not be using bleach against such a delicate area of skin, that is often damp and enclosed. He has never had any rashes, it is just me being a fussy madam really. :wacko:

A good trick I also found for ammonia smells (in the night nappies in the morning) is to rinse several times in cold, then in hot, as the ammonia is a gas it will not release in cold, but ti does in hot - it does work, but then maybe I am putting more minerals into the cloth this way??

I did find once I stripped them last time they felt softer and lighter so I do think I got lots of minerals out (the water went cloudy too and smelled chalky) and didn't have that reek in the morning. Funnily enough the microfibre is the least affected, definitely the bamboo is retaining a bit of something. I had no problems at all for at least 6 months of full-time use, then it came on very suddenly as he was teething, literally from one week to the next.

I have been using a bit less water by setting the machine manually instead of using the auto function as I noticed it was filling pretty high - to make it rub together better and not dilute the powder too much, it does seem to be helping so maybe another strip the way I did it before and then do this from now on should fix it.

https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=18001030

This is a MSDS for Calgon, it is 50% sodium carbonate and some other stuff that I don't really recognize.

RLR is pure sodium carbonate, whereas Arm and Hammer's washing soda is 85% sodium carbonate and 15% water. I emailed Cadie (the manufacturer of RLR) and they sent me the MSDS for it but I can't seem to post a PDF on my phone.

I find it easier to remove build-up in hot or warm water, but also the poop gets washed out easier in warmer water as well.

Thanks for that, yes I just did a bit of digging and it appears that calgon is mainly soda ash, the stronger version of washing soda. I used soda ash light, so maybe it just wasn't quite strong enough or maybe it just needed repeated. I will have another pop using a bit more once the weather improves for drying the whole stash :)

Yes I do prefer to use warm too, for the same reasons.

Oh and what I've just read about RLR from several sources as well that it is ...wait for it... Washing Soda, so sorry Adie but saying washing soda doesn't work then recommending these instead is a bit daft

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->