My emotional roller coaster

Kaleido

TTC #1
Reaction score
So some of you may have seen my post earlier in the week about measuring behind at my appt on Monday, and my obgyn sending me for a growth ultrasound. I was a bit worried, but not overly so bc I've seen so many ladies on here measure behind and be fine, and I was a small baby, as was my mom. So at my us appt on thurs, my husband and I were looking forward to getting another chance to see our baby girl. Things started off fine, my fluid measured perfect, and baby k, while she measured a pretty small 4 pounds 8 ounces, was following the same growth curve she had all along, and the tech said it was fine. So we were happy and chatting and joking thru the rest of ultrasound as tech said she would take the rest of the routine measurements of organs. Then when the tech got to the left kidney, noticed she had gotten rather quiet and seemed to be really concentrating on this one area, running the wand back and forth over the area, staring at the screen , and clicking the button that causes the image to print out on the printer.. My heart started to race bc I knew something was wrong. After what seemed like an eternity, she looked at us and said.. Well, I'm not sure what I'm seeing, I'm having a hard time getting a clear picture in this position, but it appears their is something on either her left kidney , adrenal gland or spleen. My ears literally started to ring and I felt like I was going to pass out and said so, so the tech turned me on my left side. My eyes instantly welled up bc I was just so scared and upset that something could be wrong with my baby. She said the drs would be back from lunch in about 30 min so we would have to wait to speak to them. It was horrible, we just sat there in silence. When the dr finally came (not my usual dr) she seemed equally unsure of what it was , but felt it was some sort of cyst or growth and would need to be seen by a high risk dr where theybcould hopefully get better images, and said she would call over to the hospital where he was and see if we could go there now. This made me even more panicky...as I figured she must think it was bad if we needed to go right away. We drove right over, and waited nearly 2 hrs to be seen, while waiting I made the mistake of googling on my phone and was just making myself more and more upset. So we went thru the entire ultrasound again, with the tech going over all the measurements again (she measured a slightly larger 4 pound 12 oz here) and when the tech got to the area of the left kidney region she again seemed to go over and over the area a hundred times.. When she was done she said she would go show the images to the dr. He came in the room a couple minutes later, and wanted to do the ultrasound and see for himself after seeing images.. I'm imagining horrible things at this point... Well, he stares and stares and finally says... Well , I can't say this with absolute 100 percent certainty, because of the position and everything is very smushed up at this point, but I believe what the tech thought she saw was a piece of the bowel, that in that position appeared to be a separate mass. He then proceeded to show us how from one angle he could see the black circle near the kidney the tech had seen, but with manipulation of the wand in a different spot he showed how that circle morphed into a loop of intestine! He is the department head and seemed quite sure of himself, so I really felt soooo relieved I almost cried again. He said to be certain they would do an ultrasound on her when she was born , but that in his honest opinion I shouldn't lose a second of sleep over it, that it appeared t just be an illusion on the ultrasound!! So it's a pretty happy ending to what started as a horrible nightmare.. Of coarse I won't be totally happy until they see when she is born that all is well though. It really makes me see how, while it's wonderful the advanced medicine we have can save lives and all, but all of this measuring and interfering can also cause a lot of unnecessary worry and stress.. So I'm hoping this next 5 weeks goes smoothly and quickly so we can meet our little girl and know everything is fine!

Phew! Glad she's ok, but I bet that was absolutely terrible you poor things! X

I'm glad everything is ok! Sounds like she's measuring fine, I would not worry. :)

That must have been really frightening, im so glad she is ok xx

What a scary experience for you! So glad it was a false alarm. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"