My gorgeous Finlay has arrived!

EverythingXd

Reaction score
The short version:
I am now a very proud new mummy to a gorgeous healthy baby boy, born at 12.05am on 16th November weighing 8lb 10 oz :cloud9: We have named him Finlay. I was in active labour for around 6 hours, and it would have been shorter if I'd been any good at pushing!!

The long version:
I woke up at 5.30am on the morning of 15th to very mild contractions around every 10 minutes. These continued during the day, although they stayed quite mild with the odd half hour gap between.

I had 2 stronger contractions at around 6pm, and DH ran me a bath. My contractions sped up in the bath and became more painful. I got dried and then had my bloody show, and the contractions stepped up again and were suddenly coming every minute or two with sometimes no gap between them at all. It took a while to get downstairs and DH thought he was going to have to call an ambulance at one point... I managed to get downstairs and being upright seemed to steady the contractions a little.

We arrived at the hospital maternity unit at 8.30pm. I was taken straight to a delivery room, and I was panicking that they were going to say I was only 1cm or 2cm because I've always been a total wuss. The midwife said she could tell me now I wouldn't be 1cm, examined me and said I was 7cm :happydance:

I put on my birthing shirt, and accepted the pethidine that was offered to me. With hindsight I wish I hadn't because this just made me feel extremely groggy but didn't alleviate the pain. Contractions were still coming every minute or so, and I found these more manageable if I stood, doubled over with one arm over my hubby, head under his arm while he rubbed my back. I was soon feeling the urge to push, and the midwife said I could push if I wanted to.

After more contractions with little progress, the midwife said they wanted to monitor baby so I agreed to get on the bed. It actually wasn't that uncomfortable, and the urge to push was so strong I don't remember the contractions being as painful as they had been earlier. DH told me later that it took them about 15 mins to pick up our baby's heartbeat and he was terrified it was going to be bad news. I wasn't aware of this at the time (probably a blessing).

The pushing stage didn't seem to me to be that long, but I wasn't getting anywhere and kept saying "I can't do this". The baby kept slipping back down the birth canal, and I was getting tired. Finally the midwife said although baby was very stable they were concerned about my blood pressure which was getting very high with each contraction... she said they needed to help baby out and so I agreed to an episiotomy. That was a great decision, as baby's head was delivered in the following push - they told me and I didn't believe them because I didn't feel it :thumbup: Baby wasn't crying either, but I didn't have time to dwell on it because the next contraction started and I pushed... and my hubby announced that my yellow bump had become a gorgeous little baby boy :cloud9:

I had been given the injection to help the placenta out, but that took another hour to come out. I was then given some stitches. Seeing as it was the middle of the night, my hubby wasn't allowed on the ward but they let us have some 'family time' in the delivery room alone, which was lovely and then he helped me get a shower while they looked after our Finlay.

All in all, I'm delighted with how the birth went. The midwives at the hospital were extremely helpful and lovely, and I'm glad I had the episiotomy - my stitches are already pretty much healed and I've had hardly any pain from them.

Hubby and I are totally smitten with Finlay. Everyone says there is nothing like the love you feel for your baby, and I now understand exactly how overwhelming it is... having a child was the best decision I've ever made.

Aww congratulations :) What a lovely story :hugs: xxx

aww congrats excellent glad everything went well for all of you xxx

Thats a fab story.

Congratulations.

V xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members