My gorgeous girl - Erin Scarlet

CeriB

Reaction score
Erin Scarlet – 22/12/10 @ 07.17am

Woke up on Sunday 19th Dec and felt a little trickle – wasn’t sure if I pee’ed myself at first! Went to the loo and there was a wet patch but nothing huge. I put on a pad and waited for more action. I got none! I phoned MW unit and explained what had happened, asking if it could be my waters leaking. They said to monitor it and get back to them if anything else happened. Went to bed just after 10pm, feeling a bit rubbish that nothing had happened and that I had probably just pee’ed myself after all! Read a bit of my book and went to go to sleep at 11pm. Was just lying there thinking of what I could do to beg my MW for an early sweep, when literally POP!!! I lay there thinking “What was THAT!!! I don’t wanna move just in case it was my waters …” Like I haven’t been waiting for that for the last 3-4 weeks!!!!!! D’oh! So anyway, I started to feel a trickle, so go up and could just feel it coming. I actually made it to the loo before it came gushing out. Someone (a liar, I now know them to be!) had said that there was about a cupful of water surrounding the baby. I must have had at least 2 pints!!! I started shaking and crying and hubby heard me and came up stairs asking if I was ok. He thought I was going to be sick! I said what had happened and cried a little bit more! He calmed me down, made me a hot chocolate and got me fresh pants. I went through 3 pairs of pants and pads in about 5 minutes! I swear – at least 2 pints!! Cupfull, my bum!!! Once this calmed down, I rang the MW unit and went in to be checked. They confirmed it was my waters, checked all other bits and asked about contractions. They did any internal and took swabs – there was no action down there at all! I wasn’t having any contractions and none were being picked up, so was told to go home and wait it out. They said to call back if the contractions started and were about 8minutes apart. If not, I was to go back in the next day at lunch time for referral for induction. Went home and waited it out. And waited ….. and waited …… and nothing!! I was getting a few contractions but so irregular they were nothing of any note.

As I had nothing more happen, we went back to the unit the next day and checked over. Everything was fine and I was referred to the bigger hospital for induction on Tuesday at 10am.

I woke up at about 5.30 Tuesday morning like a child at xmas!! I wasn’t having any contractions or pains of any kind so induction was definitely on the cards. I had breakfast, a shower, shaved my legs and tidied the lady area in preparation. It felt like I was going on holiday! The maternity ward was so busy that, whilst I was booked in at 10am, I was not actually induced until 5.30pm! That was quite frustrating as there were other women there that were getting seen and sorted and I had to just wait. I was monitored a few times and bubs heart rate was a bit erratic so that could have been the reason I was delayed, but no-one actually told me anything. I ended up in tears like the massive wuss I am!! Anyway, at 5.30pm the MW came over and said it was finally my go!!! She checked me over and my cervix was posterior and closed but as my waters had gone, they gave me the gel and I was monitored again!! After 40 minutes I was taken of the monitor and allowed to get up and wonder. Pretty much straight away I was having tightenings!! We went for a wander and I had a huge hot chocolate with cream and marshmellows! Was lovely!!! Hubby had to leave at 9pm as visiting hours were over and I was not in established labour. It was snowing very, very hard and the hospital is about 20 minutes drive from our house so I was worried how he would get back, but was pretty sure we would be in for the long haul! However, by 11pm, I was having regular contractions every 5 minutes!! I was too scared to be checked over, just in case they told me I was still posterior or that I was only 1 cm, so I left it and carried on! I must have been for a wee about 20 times in an hour and each time thought, ‘I think I need a poo too’ so I braved it and spoke to a MW. She said that she would check me over as the contractions did seem quite close together. I was checked and found to be 3cm!! Amazing!!! They were really chuffed I had come so far so quickly and advised me to contact hubby and get him in as they thought I would be going to labour ward within the next 2 hours and the weather was getting worse. I was given an injection for anti-sickness and Meptid, as I was unable to rest and felt like I was going to be sick each time a contraction hit. This was just before 12.30am. The sickness went away almost instantly and while the contractions still hurt, I was able to relax in between. In the next hour I went to 5cm and contractions every 2-3 minutes. They decided to take me over to labour ward! Eeekk!! I started packing my bits (which was interesting whilst having strong contractions, trying to breath and not wake everyone up!!) and someone came to help get my stuff on a trolley to wheel over. Just before 2am, I arrived in the delivery room and hubby arrived at the hospital. MW showed me how to use the gas and air and from that moment on, it did not leave my grasp!! I did ask about an epidural and they said it was available, but I should try the g&a first and then maybe Pethadine. I knew I didn’t want Pethadine as I had heard bad things about it, so for me it was either g&a or epi. I’m not too sure how things progressed at this point – I remember bits and pieces – the MW was fantabulous and hubby was absolutely awesome! The contractions felt like they may rip me apart but they didn’t hurt like I expected them too. That g&a really is amazing!! The MW kept asking if I wanted to try Pethadine and I kept saying I was fine. I actually was as well!! I did keep asking what the time was!! I don’t really know why!! As things went on, I felt it all happening in my body and actually just let it! I remembered my breathing and the relaxing from my hypnobirthing book and it worked. I remember asking “how will I know she is coming”, and the MW said that I just would. At one point I said “I think she is coming – I need to take my bottoms off now”! MW examined me and I was 9cm!! However, I had a bit of cervix that still needed to move back and baby was back-to-back!! I wanted to push so so bad, but had to just keep breathing. That was tough!!! Anyway, within half and hour, I was 10cm and ready! Whoop!! However, as baby was back-to-back it was bloody tough!! I was quite amazed though that the contractions did not hurt at this point – was just pressure rather than pain and I finally let go of the g&a! I was pushing for about an hour and not really getting anywhere. Then bubs heartbeat started going a bit erratic – I remember that I kept asking if she was ok. They said she was fine, but a doctor kept popping in to check. I carried on pushing for a bit longer, but my contractions started getting more infrequent and less strong. As I was shattered I was not getting much out of the contractions I was getting, so they decided to hook me up to a syntocin drip to getting them going again. I was pretty out of it by this point but I remember them telling me that I was going to need help getting her out but needed to push her down far enough to let the doc either forceps or ventouse her out. I heard them say something about theatre too!! I grunted at that!!! Anyway, contractions started and I was determined to get her down far enough for ventouse and didn’t want theatre! Then bubs changed her angle!!! Good girl!! I managed to push her down and pretty much out in the next 2 pushes, was given an episiotomy then pushed her out in 2 more! She was delivered straight on to my chest and, literally, all the pain went away and I was suddenly very awake!! I was pretty much asleep 20 minutes ago! We had a cuddle and then she was taken to be weighed etc and I was to be stitched up! That was a whole different experience, a story for another day!

So, we are a week in – I have not slept more than 4 hours a day (on a good day), keep forgetting to eat and struggling with feeding, but so, unbelievable in love it is untrue! My hubby is completely in love with her too which makes me cry as it is amazing to see him with our gorgeous daughter.

If you have made it this far – thank you! I know it was quite long, but once I get going ….

Anyway, here she is!!!!

Attachments

• just born.jpg
    just born.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 62
  • 1 day old.jpg
    1 day old.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 101
I loved reading your story. Well done and congratulations. Erin is beautiful xx

aww lovely story and a beautiful little girl xx

That was a great story - thanks for sharing! She really is lovely! x

She is very cute. She looks so tiny for 8 lb 5 oz!!!

Lovely birth story! you did very well! :happydance: && baby Erin is gorgeous and she shares my bithday :D

What a lovely story! I'm so pleased i read it on my due date as it's inspired me! Sounds like you coped brilliantly. She is absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations to you and ur new little family!. xxxxxxxx

:thumbup: Thanks for taking the time to write this out for us - really appreciate it

Lovely story, Love her Name too - Congratz again x

Awww that made me cry!!

Erin is beautiful - and well done you xxxx

Aw lovley birth story :D congratulations! She's lovley. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member