My (long) birth story - Gethin

kittykitty

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken me so long to post this up but as I am sure you all understand I have struggled to find the time to get on the internet :)

On Monday 13th (40+6) I had a stretch and sweep at my routine midwife appointment. I was 1-2cm dilated and 95% effaced which shocked me. That evening I bounced on my friends gym ball until my heart was content.

On Tuesday my hubby who was away with the Royal Navy woke me at 7 am to ask if he should take the military transport or drive his own car from his accommodation to the ship (ie would he be coming home today). I told him I felt nothing and take the transport. I couldn't sleep any longer so got up to play on my new xbox game which I picked up at midnight lol. I lent over the coffee table to open the xbox drive up when I suddenly felt like I was peeing myself. Went to the bathroom and realised that my waters had broken. I attempted to get a clean pair of pants and pads from my bedroom when it went further on the bed, oops.

I phoned Owain who hadn't arrived at work yet. He asked if he should come home or not as the ship was moving today so once he was on board he couldnt come off for a number of hours. I told him to stay as it could take hours for something to happen. I phoned my temp birthing partner who immediately came over and told my hubby to get his arse back home!!

We went out for a walk to increase the contractions which were around every 10-20 mins. About 7:30 pm my contractions were 3 every 6 minutes and lasting about 1 minute 15 so we headed off to the hospital. On arrival my room was ready and I decided to go for a bath which was lovely. The pain was in my lower back and kept increasing. I started on the gas and air and lent over the edge of the head of the bed to help relieve the pain.

About 9/9:30 pm I went for a second bath and took the gas and air with me. I previously suffered from panic attacks but never expected to have one during labour. The bath was too hot and the room become very humid. I suddenly had a contraction in my front, followed by one in my back and they kept coming. After 3 minutes of continous breathing the gas and air my panic attack set on fully so the hubby had to pull the alarm cord to get the midwife. The door was opened and I finally calmed down and went back to my room.

My parents arrived from 300 miles away but whilst I was in such pain over the edge of the bed I didnt want to see them. They decided I could have an epidural but needed to do 20 minutes monitoring on Gethin first. The dopler wouldnt pick up his heart beat using the belt so they decided as we hadnt had any issues up to now to give me the epidural straight away. At 10 am I was finally pain free and felt great but the dopler was still being an issue, my mum who was now in the room had to hold it still. They tried the clip but it would only intermitantly pick up the heart beat and kept falling off. I had to lay perfectly still which was uncomfortable but I wasn't in pain.

About 2 am I asked for a top up and I was examined, I was 5 cm dilated only. They put the drip on to increase my labour. At 4 am I hadn't increased and was wanting an additional top up. They were still struggling picking up the heart beat with the dopler and clip. I may have had additional top up's but I can't quite remember.

At 7 am I was feeling pains down my leg so asked for an additional top up. Suddenly Gethin's heart beat dropped so they decided to examine me - I wasn't due to be checked again until 8:30 am. To all our surprises i was 10 cm dilated and ready to push. They topped up my epidural and said they would leave me for a bit for him to drop down and turn as he was back to back. They changed their mind and let me start pushing straight away. It was the strangest sensation, pushing but couldnt feel the contractions and was perfectly fine inbetween. I was having to get the midwife to confirm I was having contractions and check the monitor myself lol.

After 45 minutes he wasn't moving down the canal properly. I could feel the pain increasing in my leg and asked for a top up of my epidural shortly. The pain got worse and worse until I was in tears and unable to push as I couldnt feel the contractions over my leg and it hurt to push. Everyone told me to push and I rememeber shouting 'Why will no one listen to me, I can't *** push".

I was told I couldnt have a top up until the doctor had checked me. During pregnancy I was requested a female doctor only so when a male one walked through the door they sent him away and told me the female one would be 20 minuts. I screamed to have him back and he returned damn quickly!!!

It was decided to take me to theatre as I was going to have to have forcepts and possible section. They had to give me the end of the gas and air to put in my mouth whilst they transferred me to the theatre as I was in so much pain and needed to bite on it. Owain went to scrub up and for what felt like hours although only seconds I yelled for gas and air. I was having panic attacks and tears rolling down my face as I was so scared. Owain finally joined me and tried to calm me down but it only partly worked.

They gave me a epidural top up that didnt work, which they couldnt understand. After 5 minutes they gave me a second top up which still did nothing. My gas and air became 'blocked', as I sucked it stopped! I screamed for them to fix it but everyone told me it was working, which it suddenly did. This happened for a second time and in my frustration I took the end off and waved the pipe in the air for them to realise there was an issue. They told me it didnt work an I took the end off and I just thought 'duh!!!!' I know I have. I found out afterwards I breathed so quickly the machine couldnt cope with the demand so they kept having to increase how much it was making.

The doctors finally gave up on the epidural and I was going to have a spinal block. When they rolled me over on my back they found out my epidural had come out of my back and all the top ups were on the bed instead! I had to curl up in to the fetal position whilst they inserted a needle in and out of my back trying to find the right location. They asked me if they were in the centre of my back or if it ws up or down. I tried to touch it but was shouted to stop as I was about to rip my needles our my arm. During this I was contracting and had to push even though I knew I couldn't, I screamed for them to stop trying to get the block in. The main thing that went through my mind was "I'm going to have to have a c-section, I wont be able to drive for 6 weeks, how will I cope???". Then I quicklu became concerned for Gethin and asked about his health, when reassured he was still fine I went back to being worried how to drive lol. Finally they got the block in and within a second I completely relaxed and all my pain went. My first words were "You are amazing!'".

I kept apologising for being so mean and awkward previously and become completely co-operative. I pushed when they told me to and on the third push Gethin Owain Vyvyan Thomas was born at 11:16 am weighing 7lb 12oz on Wednesday 15th.

He didnt cry when he was born and I started to get very concerned. After what felt like a life time I heard his cry, and he was brought to me but I was scared to hold me as my hold body was numb and I wasnt sure I was able to support him. They told me he is suffering from a little shock but is perfectly healthy. I kept apologising and thanking the staff again.

I was sewn up and at 12 pm went to the recovery room to rest up and give him his first feed. We got some skin to skin and my parents and Owains parents came in to congratulate us. My poor mum had stayed with me and awake all night, where as my dad and Owains parents came back to the hospital at 8ish when my mum told them I was ready to push.

I stayed on the ward for a night and was finally released at 8 pm the next day after getting very frustrated that there was no medical reason for either of us to be there.

We are all settling in to a routine now and so so proud and pleased with my amazing son.

Sorry for such a long birth story and hope I havent put any one off who hasnt yet given birth.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs310.ash2/58993_447768004216_508069216_5192651_6917618_n.jpg

Thanks for posting your story, sounds like you had a bit of a hard time! Your baby is gorgeous though congratulations!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->