My midwife appointment today (kinda confused about uterus) ???

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Hi girls. Well today I saw my midwife and she did all the usual checks- blood pressure, weight, babies heart beat, fundal height etc: but something bothers me (though she said Im not to let it) I measured 21cm even though Im almost 23 weeks! The midwife said she would be utterly shocked if someone of my sized measured more than 22cm at this stage of my pregnancy and that the uterus is a good size and baby is growing well.
It still kinda bothers me. Has anyone else been through this? I asked her what would happen if my next appointment measured under, too. She said I would be referred for a scan and if Im still measuring small, I will be monitored by the mother and baby unit who speacialize in small babies.
She didnt say this was going to happen, I simply asked her 'what if' and she told me. She said she thinks I will be fine at my next appointment also, but still, I couldnt help but question everything she said to me which I really shouldnt have done.
I spoke to a lady today who also went through a simular thing with her first baby, her uterus wasnt spot on,either. Has anyone on here been through something like this??

:hugs:didn;t want to read and run, can't really help, 'cos i tend to be the other way.

hi i measured 31 at 34 weeks and they said babe was small,well that was a laugh two weeks early and 8.13
dont worry at 20 weeks plus,only when you get 32 plus will they question.
bex

Its only if ur over 3 cm ahead or over 3cm under they get concerned and send u for a growth scan-well thats what Ive been told anyway!:blush:

My measurements were a little off, too, when I was pregnant. They thought I was going to have a small baby, but he was 6lb. 11 oz. when he was born a month early. I have been told that the fundal height isn't always the most accurate measurements because there are many factors that can throw off the measurements like baby position and even the placement of the tape can affect it.

Louise

Please don't worry - A lot of Midwives won't start measuring the fundal height until after the 24th week because before then its less accurate - And even then its only as accurate as the Midwife who is measuring you (Not that its always an accurate measurment anyway because factors such as baby's position will affect its accuracy).
On one occation I was measured by my Consultant and a Midwife on the same day and they were 2cm out between them lol

If its any comfort, I am 22 weeks and have yet to be measured and I am a "high Risk" patient - Especially for Fetal Growth ******ation, however I'm not worrying about growth unless someone tells me there is a problem at my Growth scan.

Stop worrying - If you had anything to be concerned about the Midwife would have referred you to the hospital!

The midwife said she would be utterly shocked if someone of my sized measured more than 22cm at this stage of my pregnancy and that the uterus is a good size and baby is growing well.

I think your midwifes answered that question !

Im sure she would tell you if she thought she was worried, try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy x

I was like this at 2 appointments i was 26 weeks and measure 28 and on tuesday i was 38 weeks plus but only measure 37 i wouldnt worry if the midwife wasnt happy she would send you for a scan x

ive been monitored all the way through this pregnancy because of worries that bub wasnt growing at the right rate(placenta has been growing wayyyyy to fast and was pushing out a higher rate of hormone than the norm), have been warned all the way thru that our baby would be around 5-6lb mark etc etc because of this, then TA DA!!!! had scan yesterday to be told im carrying a potiental 8lb'er and am due by the weekend 2 wks ahead of schedule! they will let you know if they think you need monitoring, but always keep in your head that EACH and EVERY baby is an individual, there is no such thing as a text book pregnancy(something i wish i could remember at times!!lol)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->