My mother keeps calling my baby "IT" GRRRRR

Babushka

Reaction score
My mother who has a habit of not thinking before she speaks keeps calling the baby "IT"!!! i.e when you're changing IT, when you're breast feeding IT" FFS this drives me insane & I keep telling her off but she keeps on saying it ARRRGH.

Would this peeve anyone else or am I over-reacting?:growlmad:

I think as soon as the babe has a name or gender that's what it should be called. Our baby was Dot to everyone before she was Zoe.

I still accidentally say "it" sometimes myself...I guess it wouldn't bother me but everyone is different. What does bug me is when my mom calls Emily "her baby".

Have you not told her the sex? I don't see a problem with it as the non-gender specific term is it if she doesn't know boy or girl.

Ugh that would annoy me to! Why can't she say 'the baby' rather than 'it'

"It" is.very impersonal especially if baby has a.name/gender...but even if not she could say "the baby" not "it"! It would piss me off too

I said it until we found out she was a girl, then after we named her (potentially) we call everything baby related Emma's this or that

We don't know the gender. Typically we do say "the baby", as do other people, but I don't get offended by "it" if that's what comes out.

I told my mum babays name and she never made a comment and still refersto him as baby??

She knows the name we are giving her. In fact, she uses it sometimes but falls into the whole 'IT' name. Grrr mothers, I hope I don't turn out the same!!!

I wouldn't be offended but then I still do it myself sometimes. I think preggy hormones can make things more annoying than they need to be too. My emotions are a mess

That would bother me too. Everyone around me is calling my baby by his name which I love and think will make an easier transition when he's finally here. I called him "it" until I knew the gender, and even went back to ultrasound pics I put on facebook that I called him "it" and changed it to "he"

It's bs since she knows her name. I get it before you find out the sex.
What's bugging me is one of my doctors calls the baby "baby" not "the baby" or she. I think it's weird. Baby this and baby that... It's just odd to me.

if she knows the gender then yeah it would be annoying, but if the gender is unknown i wouldnt worry, she means nothing by it:)

I must admit, I say 'it' but I think it's because, it's our fourth baby and the first three were boys. It still feels very weird to me that we're having a girl, and feels quite weird saying "she". My OH says "she" but it sounds really odd to me.
Boys are what I know :blush:

I'd be more upset if my mother called her/him IT after they were born :haha:

My mum bless her, even tho she knows the name we have chosen calls my LO Minnie- which is not the name we have chosen, and does it because her other grandaughter is addicted to Minnie Mouse lol

Pet peeve. I HATE it when people call babies "it" and nearly had a heart attack when people called my son "it". He is a person not a thing! Luckily most people close to me know I feel this way and avoid using it. Before we knew the baby was a boy, we made a point to call them baby, he or she, little one, etc. Once we found out gender we started calling him "Joey" and he, and now most everyone calls him by his name, except for my brother who calls him my baby, as he thinks it is odd to call him by his name before birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->