My mum hates the name!

Yeah truly:winkwink::haha: Nope it's definitely not a very common name, despite my ILs' efforts to convince me otherwise. I just think my ILs had their hearts more set on our other 2 options which were more Danish: Malthe (pronounced Mal-tuh) and Nicolaj (Nick-oh-lie). I just felt my son looked and felt more like an Alexander. Also Malthe is more popular (#9) so didn't want to risk him being one of 2-3 kids with the name.

Oh and just checked the list and Alexander is #18 so less popular than last I checked which makes it even better:winkwink:

Ooh, those are cute! But I personally think you made the right choice. ;)
I like Damek but buggered if anyone ever would pronounce it right. Hubby like Altiar but it would never be said right either.
:nope:

Oh my....its not their choice!!! Unbelievable. Your baby will be whoever you name them to be and grandparents will get over it. As if they'll create their own nickname! I hope my mother isn't like that I'll give her a piece of my mind haha

That's why we never tell anyone until they are born and if then they dislike it it's too late and they can suck it lol.
Not that we have very unique names. The girl name we picked is in the top 5 every year (which I dislike) but SO always wanted to name his daughter this so I gave in :haha:

I kinda wish I hadn't told anyone until little one was born. Oh well, hindsight is amazing!

I wouldn't even allow the nicknames unless they're ones that you chose yourself. They don't get to choose the name for your child, and it's disrespectful to you as the mother to work around you like that. As everyone else has said, your mum had her turn with naming children.

Awww they are unique but that's what makes them special. Plus you likely won't have to worry about them being the third Aiden in his class haha (we went with Aiden)

Yeah truly:winkwink::haha: Nope it's definitely not a very common name, despite my ILs' efforts to convince me otherwise. I just think my ILs had their hearts more set on our other 2 options which were more Danish: Malthe (pronounced Mal-tuh) and Nicolaj (Nick-oh-lie). I just felt my son looked and felt more like an Alexander. Also Malthe is more popular (#9) so didn't want to risk him being one of 2-3 kids with the name.

Oh and just checked the list and Alexander is #18 so less popular than last I checked which makes it even better:winkwink:

Ooh, those are cute! But I personally think you made the right choice. ;)
I like Damek but buggered if anyone ever would pronounce it right. Hubby like Altiar but it would never be said right either.
:nope:

Probably, I'm not even sure how those names are pronounced? But nothing wrong with finding something unique as long as it isn't too unique if you get what I mean:wacko:

I kinda wish I hadn't told anyone until little one was born. Oh well, hindsight is amazing!

Ah not always a guarantee, my ILs chose to put up a minor fuss anyway:nope:

I think you should just name the baby whatever you want and forget about what other people say. I know, easier said than done, but my parents also hated the names I chose for my kids. They even went as far as to say that they were going to call them by their middle names which they liked more. After I had them, they just called them by their first names. They do sometimes give them nicknames but I'm ok with it as long as it isn't too out there.

My mum said this after our daughter was born. I told her that if she wanted to See the baby, she'd use her real name.

She got over it.

I have an opinionated family too. I don't even pick names out the norm but ive been pretty much forced by my mum not to let Hannah go on the list even though we like it. My sister was rude about matilda. My mum also hated jax. I remember with my first baby they were quite opinionated on her name. Even suggesting what i should use instead! But i kept my daughters name as I really did love it and we had our hearts set on it. It shocks me how people can be so rude. Would they have accepted that rudeness towards them when they were expecting/named their children. Id never force my opinion onto anyone because it's irrelevant and how can you expect people to pick your favourite names for their kids lol??? Truth is whatever you pick you cant please everyone. Its your baby and what matters is you think it's beautiful or trendy or traditional. You just have to laugh and say well thats what we like and ignore them :-( i know how it spoils pregnancy. Im
Literally not telling my family what i am having this time after last time. Actually wound me up constantly with their opinions and this time its not happening x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->