My OB's Take on Our Decision to HB

omg i would never speak to that OB again after that last sentance what the H*ll does she think shes playing at. heck its not like shes not gonna get paid for seeing you so far through your pregnancy
from what ive read shes just worried about missing out on the $xxx that she will get for the birth.

as a mother and a women your comfort and saftey when birthing are intrinsically linked and all efforts should be made to facilitate your wishes hell ur the one ( or your insurance ) thats picking up the bill and paying it at the end of it all regardless of whos there when your baby is born

Alrighty ladies, i need a boost of confidence, please. My OB called me back today (i had called the office on Friday and again on Monday to let them know I was changing to a homebirth, and the ladies at the desk were actually supportive, telling me they were glad I was going to go for a home birth and good luck).
Here you go.
My OB's lines were:
-you know that the midwives are not even nurses?! they don't have a license to dispense medicine!

Ability to despence drugs it not a sign of medical copetence
-you know that if a baby is born not breathing, a few minutes to the hospital would be too long when you don't have a few minutes
Umm midwives know how to do infant resustation. But wait since they can't perscribe drugs they don't know anything LOL
-you know we only do interventions when we are trying to keep things safer for mom and/or baby
OR easier for you
-you know that just because other people at this hospital have had an episiotomy/c-sec/fill-in-the-blank doesn't mean you will, so you don't know what kind of birth you will have until you go through it
True but I know my chances are greater in the hospital cause you don't know how to sit on your hands and not do ANYTING
-you shouldn't listen to what you hear of women who have had nice home births because if they had a hard hospital birth followed by an easier home birth, it was b/c subsequent births are always easier, not b/c they were at home (i didn't even say that the women i know in town who've done a HB also had a bad 1st live birth in the hospital, though - some haven't even tried a hospital)
Well I have to come up with SOME reason that patient have percieved easier births
-no one can determine if a pregnancy is "low risk" until after it is over with because we can't predict what will go wrong ahead of time.
true unexpected thing can come up in birth but being in the hospital brings its own set of risks
-you mention stalling labor when you get to the hospital and the unfamiliar environment, but wouldn't you rather be with a doctor you've been seeing for the past several months instead of something going wrong at home and you ending up with a stranger you've never met delivering your baby at the hospital? (which is funny b/c in her practice, the OB's are on rotation and also have another OB they call, so unless i deliver when she happens to be on call, i wouldn't see her anyway, and only then, at the end)
Ummm I have a "chance" to get you in the hopital or give birh at home with someone I have develped a relationship with. My midwife is NOT going to be a stranger showing up at my house LOL
-I feel like you're making this decision without thinking about the medical consequences and risks for you and the baby
I'm making this decision BECAUSE I have thought about it
-it's true you can't give birth in the water at the hospital, but they still have showers and jacuzzi-style tubs there
I want a pool dude not a shower!
-thanks to science, things are so much safer today than they were for our moms and grandmothers - women died of hemhorrhaging 80 years ago
So you can deal with hemhorrah better now good for you. But obstectrial history if full of Opps that was a bad idea. I mean they use to have mom's give birth under anthesia
-well, if something goes wrong, don't call us. in fact, i would suggest you don't even come to our hospital, since there are four of us [in her practice] who deliver there and odds are you might see one of us, so it would be best for you to go to so-and-so hospital instead (which is 25 minutes away instead of 10).

WOW I say childish rather than a professional. The last ditch huff puff how do I get you to do it MY way.

I feel like she didn't even hear half of what i was saying, and she kept reverting back to life/death scenarios that could come up. I just don't feel like she heard any positive reason for wanting to try 1st for a home birth, and i feel a bit deflated. Especially with that last comment of hers - i was like, what, as a doctor, you wouldn't treat me if i were in genuine need b/c i chose to leave your practice? :shrug:

Just need some positive mental energy, ladies, if you please.

thanks!

I'm a first time mommy and am planning a home birth. I don't think your crazy and I'm sorry you had to deal with such a thick headed doctor.

WOW, what a horrible doctor.

My OB's lines were:
-you know that the midwives are not even nurses?! they don't have a license to dispense medicine!
Well, I wonder who's lobbiest are fighting a change in this? I know here in Texas midwives have been fighting for the right to dispense basic medicines. These are trained professionals, it's not a woman who shows up with a backpack, some towels and some twine.

-you know that if a baby is born not breathing, a few minutes to the hospital would be too long when you don't have a few minutes
MWs have resuscitation devices.

-you know we only do interventions when we are trying to keep things safer for mom and/or baby
Oh really. A new policy used in hospitals in Ohio, doctors had to give a medical reason for induction before 39 weeks. From the article: As in Ohio, their preliminary data show that in only a short period of time, even hospitals with very high rates of scheduled deliveries are able to reduce them to about 5 percent or less by making a few simple changes — and in turn, increase the likelihood of a healthy baby.

-you know that just because other people at this hospital have had an episiotomy/c-sec/fill-in-the-blank doesn't mean you will, so you don't know what kind of birth you will have until you go through it
Well, when I birth at home with a MW, the rates for all of those interventions go WAY down. hmmmm

-you shouldn't listen to what you hear of women who have had nice home births because if they had a hard hospital birth followed by an easier home birth, it was b/c subsequent births are always easier, not b/c they were at home (i didn't even say that the women i know in town who've done a HB also had a bad 1st live birth in the hospital, though - some haven't even tried a hospital)
Yes, their experiences are totally invalid. I have friend's who have had good HBs followed by hard ones. As the doctor said before every birth is different.

-no one can determine if a pregnancy is "low risk" until after it is over with because we can't predict what will go wrong ahead of time.
So, everything is fine, until I check into the hospital. Then all of a sudden there are huge problems? Are you saying as a medical doctor you can't diagnose a high or low risk pregnancy till after the birth?

-you mention stalling labor when you get to the hospital and the unfamiliar environment, but wouldn't you rather be with a doctor you've been seeing for the past several months instead of something going wrong at home and you ending up with a stranger you've never met delivering your baby at the hospital? (which is funny b/c in her practice, the OB's are on rotation and also have another OB they call, so unless i deliver when she happens to be on call, i wouldn't see her anyway, and only then, at the end)
Well that may happen. But I will still be with my MW, who I have spent about an hour with during each appointment.

-I feel like you're making this decision without thinking about the medical consequences and risks for you and the baby
Yep,I am sure you are doing this out of purely selfish reasons. You have done no research, and are just going into this blind.

-it's true you can't give birth in the water at the hospital, but they still have showers and jacuzzi-style tubs there
But you do get to give birth on your back, narrowing your pelvis and being yelled at to push, what a trade off!

-thanks to science, things are so much safer today than they were for our moms and grandmothers - women died of hemhorrhaging 80 years ago
Women are still dying of hemorrhaging today in hospitals. Or from complications from their c-section, or from the epidural, or the drugs given to induce labor (cytotec anyone?) The fact is women and babies are going to die in birth. That is just a horrible and unfair fact of life. Has your doctor looked at birth for our mother's and grandmothers, it was not a pretty picture, and it was because of science. Do some research on twilight birth. It's beyond horrible.

-well, if something goes wrong, don't call us. in fact, i would suggest you don't even come to our hospital, since there are four of us [in her practice] who deliver there and odds are you might see one of us, so it would be best for you to go to so-and-so hospital instead (which is 25 minutes away instead of 10).
So you are just going to trash the hypocratic oath you took? Good to know doctor. Or is that a threat to punish me for taking control of my birth and my body? That the doctors in your hospital will punish me for assuming I had the right to do so?

Please excuse my extreme sarcasm here, but this BS really pisses me off. I get that you going to a MW takes money out of your doctor's pocket. But argue from a point of knowledge about home birth, not fear mongering and threats. It is unprofessional and does nothing to build confidence and trust in that doctor. You have every right to birth how and where you want. Surround yourself with people who support that, and you can't go wrong, even if you do have to transfer to the hospital. There is no guarantees, in a hospital or out. MWs are trained in natural birth, doctors in America are not.

My OB was the same way. Her nurse yelled, actually yelled at me when I mentioned I was interviewing MWs as well, how I was wasting the doctors time (time I paid for) and was just rude. Then the OB sent me a certified letter dropping me from her service. Nice.

I am so sorry your doctor was so rude, unprofessional and horrible to you. No one deserves that.

oh wow - i can't believe they yelled at you! how ridiculous!

thanks, ladies - i am already feeling better. thanks for the PMA - so glad there is a Birth Network meeting tonight for ladies wanting a natural birth - will get more PMA there too.

you ladies rock!

Exactly, and it certainly didn't make me want to change my mind. It was just as ridiculous as everything your doctor said to you.

<facepalm>

I's day it's a darned good thing you're choosing to give birth at home if your OB has that attitude, how disgusting.

Most OBGYNs dont' think highly of Midwives, and this is a personal opinion of theirs, not one that is based on facts. Your OB is being very unprofessional and just shows her lack of knowledge of MWs and her ignorance. I wouldn't listen to what she says and find a new OBGYN if you still are using one.

Most OBGYNs dont' think highly of Midwives, and this is a personal opinion of theirs, not one that is based on facts. Your OB is being very unprofessional and just shows her lack of knowledge of MWs and her ignorance. I wouldn't listen to what she says and find a new OBGYN if you still are using one.

^Exactly. For good or bad, I would NEVER want that OBGYN around me anyway. And I would make a formal complaint to the hospital as well. Even better if you had this recorded! That last line about going to a different hospital is the most concerning.
Stick to your gut.

you know that the midwives are not even nurses?! they don't have a license to dispense medicine!
Certified Nurse Midwives are Master's educated nurses. In many states midwives are not allowed to practice without a CNM liscense. And CNM can dispense medications!! Check your state and local birthing center for their midwives credentials.

If you LO is not breathing sternal stimulation and suctioning can be done during a home birth easily.

Such as??? What specific interventions does he plan on doing?? He shouldnt be "planning" on any! A midwife doesnt want anything to go wrong either, and will send you to the hospital if there is something she cant handle.

True, but 2/3 of US hospital births are either c-section or induced. With midwife/doula perineal support and massage episiotomies and tearing dont often happen.

-you shouldn't listen to what you hear of women who have had nice home births because if they had a hard hospital birth followed by an easier home birth, it was b/c subsequent births are always easier, not b/c they were at home (i didn't even say that the women i know in town who've done a HB also had a bad 1st live birth in the hospital, though - some haven't even tried a hospital) Why shouldnt you listen to this?? You cant hear different opinions?

90% of births are low risk and should not require an intervention. Our bodies were made to do this!

you mention stalling labor when you get to the hospital and the unfamiliar environment, but wouldn't you rather be with a doctor you've been seeing for the past several months instead of something going wrong at home and you ending up with a stranger you've never met delivering your baby at the hospital? (which is funny b/c in her practice, the OB's are on rotation and also have another OB they call, so unless i deliver when she happens to be on call, i wouldn't see her anyway, and only then, at the end)
The doc thinks you dont plan on meeting your midwife?? The CNM I was seeing spend over an hour with me at 2 appt. before I had to switch to a high risk doc.

Like the risks of drugs like cytoxan or pitocin? or hospital acquired infections?

-it's true you can't give birth in the water at the hospital, but they still have showers and jacuzzi-style tubs there; ok??

A liscensed midwife will be prepared to handle this or send you to the hospital

-well, if something goes wrong, don't call us. in fact, i would suggest you don't even come to our hospital, since there are four of us [in her practice] who deliver there and odds are you might see one of us, so it would be best for you to go to so-and-so hospital instead (which is 25 minutes away instead of 10) Hospitals cannot refuse you treatment, especially in an emergency.

Like I said above, I had to switch from the midwife I was seeing due to a high risk pregnancy with a bicornuate uterus. The MW was very supportive of switching b/c she doesnt do c-sections and was not able to give me the care that I needed. This doc should be more than happy to support you in whatever decision you make!

I am not knocking hospital births, many people have great experiences with them. You can often tailor your birth plan to the hospital and still get the security of being in a hospital. But this doc doesnt sound like they will be supportive of a drug free birth or different laboring techniques. Also sounds like he (she?) wont hesitate to do an episiotomy, vaccumm assisted birth, etc. and will not be willing to explain the risks to whatever interventions they decide... Can you switch docs even if you decide to hospital deliver?

Ive thought about the discussion im going to have with my OB and its basically We've made an informed decision and this is what we plan to do. I was thinking about going with all the information and the whys of things but I just didnt see the point. Its just inviting them to throw stats and crap like the above back at me

Im sure theyll do that anyway, but Im sticking to the line of Ive made an informed decision. You knew all of the above (well, I mean you knew this was their opinion) when you decided on a home birth, its awful that they would call and have a go at you like this, but it would be their ass on the line if they didnt probably. My MW told me all about the risks of shoulder dystocia when I first told her I wanted a HB. I was upset to begin with and started to question my decision, then realised that SD would happen wherever I was. She was just being a big old cowbag and trying to cover her ass in case I complained later or some crap like that.

I also think theres an element of weeding out those who arent really serious about HB. If they can do a bit of a scare and get you into hospital it saves midwife resources (for the NHS at least) - in hospital its one mw per so many women and at home its 1 or 2 per women. If we all wanted HB the entire system would crash (which would be a great thing imo as the whole system seems broken)

Stick to your guns lovely! He has his opinion and you have yours.

Did you know that birth statistics are also based on home birth statistics? So ANY statistics they give you on risks and benefits play in with both cases. Home births actually have a MUCH lower intervention and needless cesarean rate. And if you are worried about ANY of those things ask your midwife what her plan of action is. Less then 5 % of women NEED intervention. In the US this is out of 4 1/2 MILLION people only 129,000 people need an intervention. And if you are low risk and everything looks good then you are a perfect candidate for a home birth. I had a home birth with my first and it went off without a hitch. Believe in your body and believe in you self and you WILL do just fine. :)

Ps. When I told the doctor that I was having a home birth. He told me, " Women have been having babies thousands of years and most of them did just fine." He went on to tell me some other things but completely supported my decision.

Hy hun!

I know exactly how you feel!! With ds2 when I told my OB that i had met with a midwife and was thinking about homebirth she gave me a look to kill, said that she couldn't understand this 'hippy movement' and went on to tell me horror stories and how dangerous birth is and basically me and baby will probably die if we go with HB. I left her office shell shocked and burst in to tears and was a real mess. I saw the midwife a few days later and we talked about everything. I told her all the horror stories and we had a really good talk.

I've since moved so I have a new OB but even if I had stayed then I would have found another one to go to after that.

Even for ds2's birth, I ended up going to hospital with my midwives and someone there obviously saw my OB on my file and called her even though I didn't want her there.. well, she arrived after bubs was born (lovely natural birth with my midwives and hospital midwife) and she stormed into the delivery room and looked at us with discust, said 'did you get what you wanted?' I said yes, then she turned to my OH and said ' next time I'll just give you the scissors'. whatever. Then I got a bill in the post a few weeks later and she charged me 700 euros. (private ob/gyn) What a fiasco!!

anyhoo.. just to let you know you're not alone.. such a shame that all doctors can't be supportive. Follow your instincts and your gut. But I'd definitley suggest finding a new ob/gyn.. I wish I had after that first time she showed how against hb she was x

Wow. That's 11 entries for MY OB SAID WHAT?!! right there....

https://myobsaidwhat.com/

You are better off WITHOUT that eejit coming within a mile of you your and your baby IMO. If it were me and I had to take this spongehead or 15 minutes greater distance to a diff. hospital..... I'd take the 15 minutes, thanks. Some people should not be allowed to touch pregnant or birthing women with a ten foot pole

I don't understand the anger some OBs have when you do transfer to the hospital. No other specialty acts like this. Can you imagine a cardiac specialist yelling at you in the ER as you have a hearty attack because you didn't see them first? Or a Neurosurgeon? Imagine the drain if everyone just automatically went to a specialist.

myobsaidwhat is my new obsession. LOVE IT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->