My October pumpkin bun became a September baby!

katerdid

Momma
Reaction score
After a month of preterm labor, weeks of bed rest, and 4 separate hospital trips, my little trouble maker finally decided to come out.

William James was born at 35 +5 weeks, on Sept 19th, 2011 at 6:39pm. He weighed 6lbs 2oz and was 20in long.

My water broke at a restaurant on the 18th, during a friend's birthday dinner. The whole week everyone kept teasing me and saying, Your water better not break during dinner! And sure enough, they jinxed me!
I wasn't sure it was my waters at first because I had been having a lot of clear, watery discharge the past week – enough to have to wear a light pad. When I went to the bathroom after we had finished eating (around 7:30pm), I noticed my pad was soaked, my underwear was soaked, and the crotch of my pants were soaked! Thank god I was wearing really dark wash jeans! I went out for coffee after dinner and checked myself again at the shop. The make-shift pad I made out of toilet paper was soaked through. Uh-oh.
Got home around 11:00pm and told my husband, but still was in denial. We went to the hospital to get it checked out and sure enough, it was go time!

I was already 4cm dilated, 80% effaced, and at 0 station – had been for almost 2 weeks. Started having some contractions, but it wasn't progressing me enough for the doctor's liking. They started me off on a small dose of pitocin and I labored all through the night and by 8am I was only at 5cm. So they continually upped the dose til I got about 30 milliunits and by that time I actually started feeling pain. I hadn't really been in pain til that point and after about an hour the doctor came in and told me that I had to have some sort of pain relief because I was tightening my muscles too much to dilate more. I really didn't want an epi, but they said either I had to get it, or they were giving me a c-section! After a lot of anxiety, I gave in and got an epidural. It was really weird to be numb, but it worked! I went from 6cm before the epi, to 8cm right after the epi!! Finally, at 4:45pm, I was ready to push. It was difficult to do with all my bits all numb, but the nurses said I did fantastic. I pushed on my back for almost 2 hours, and then out he came!

He didn't have any trouble breathing so they were able to let me hold him immediately afterwords. While I was holding him they delivered the placenta, stitched up my first degree tear, and cleaned me.
They took him to the nursery for a bath and more tests. My epi was wearing off and I was given some percocet for the pain in my lady bits.

He had a bit of trouble with his temperature the first day, then he had jaundice and high levels of bilirubin, so they put him on the special phototherapy bed for 4 days before they let us home. He also lost 12% of his body weight, but after some formula supplementing, he started gaining it back. We're off the formula because he is feeding so well, and now up to 5lbs 9oz. His bilirubin levels are still a touch high, so we rented a portable bilipad for him to sleep on at home.

And that's our story! I'm so amazed that we created such a fantastic little person. It's hard to believe I'm a mommy now but I love every bit of it! :cloud9:

https://i54.tinypic.com/20j3cxt.jpghttps://i56.tinypic.com/11awsgm.jpg

Congrats! He's such a beautiful little guy. Came so quickly too...to spite the hardship with laboring of course. His weight is EXCELLENT for preterm by the way. Daddy looks so happy with his son. I can imagine your both in good spirits. What a little gift you have dear friend! :hugs:

What a cheeky little monkey making your waters break during the dinner! It's funny about the makeshift toilet paper pad.. I would have totally done the same. So glad your little guy is doing well and you are too! He is so handsome, I don;t blame you for falling in love. Congratualtions again :)

Congratulations he really is stunning! X

Congrats Katerdid and family! I was just thinking of you so I decided to check in here and there you were!

William is beautiful. You must be so in love!

Well done lovely hes sooo lovely xx

Glad your both well ...... enjoy every second xx

gorgeous Kait :) So exciting that you were the first of all us due date buddies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back