My "Perfect" Birth: Makayla Eve--31-12-09

amerikiwi

Mum of 2
Reaction score
30-Dec 3PM
I was pleasantly surprised when I showed up for midwife check at 40+1 to be offered a sweep. As she did the sweep she announced that I had already begun early labour (2cm) and was therefore extremely favourable for the sweep. She then told me it could still be a couple of days so we left thinking that labour may start the next day. A side note, she also faxed our induction appointment form for 9-Jan to Delivery suite just in case it all stalls.

5:30PM
Been having some cramping since sweep. Not convinced that they are actually contractions I hop on contractionmaster for kicks and giggles and to see if there's any regularity to them. Results: 6 minutes apart lasting for 40 seconds each like clockwork. Send DH a slightly cryptic txt, "if these keep coming you're not going to work tomorrow." as I wanted him to know that this may be it but not to stress and rush home. Not quite the frantic movie-style phone call that he was expecting.

Contractions at home continue over next couple of hours. DH gets me set-up with TENs machine and MIL comes to house for support. I pace the house as sitting is uncomfortable, but walking feels good. By 9PM they're getting concerned that contractions are now 3 minutes apart and ask a few times if it might be a good time to go to hospital as neither fancy an impromptu home birth. I was in good spirits and joking between contractions and then would zone out into my own space and breathe through the contractions. Eventually I think a bath would be nice but knew if I went upstairs I may not get out again so we're off to hospital.

Get checked out at hospital and I'm 5-6cm dialated! A great flood of relief goes over me as I was afraid she'd say I was still 2cm. At this point the birthing pool looks very inviting so I take off TENs (water and electricity not a good mix) and hop in. It's absolute bliss!! My step-MIL arrives and I announce that I'm labouring at a resort. Things continue in pool for a quite a while. Eventually I decide to try some gas which I found personally to be of better use to re-center and relax in between contractions as oppposed to pain relief. Midwife keeps asking if contractions feel different at which point I keep saying "I don't know". MW and support crew (DH and 2 MILs) are also asking if I wanted different positions, water temp, etc. and in hindsight it turns out when all my answers were "I don't know", I had hit transition. Only problem is that I was too relaxed in pool to push so mw eventually tricked me out of pool.

Got out of pool and got checked--mw was right, I was fully dialated so it was time to start pushing!! The pushing stage was longer than I thought. My waters didn't break until about an hour and a half into pushing. Approaching 2 hours of pushing, mw is fighting off doctors who want to get in with forceps or ventous. As baby's heartbeat was perfect throughout, they give me 5 more minutes to push her out-and we did it!! My beautiful perfect Makayla Eve was born at 5:25am on the 31st weighing in at 8 pounds 10 ounces! :cloud9:

My support crew were absolutely amazing! I couldn't have asked for anything more from them. They kept me relaxed, focused, and everyone there had a hand, literally, in supporting me to push-lol.

I was very cautious before labour not to get my hopes set on a "perfect" dream labour as there's so much that can happen, but I am incredibly lucky to look back at my labour and say that it's exactly the way I wanted: drug-free, relaxed and with a healthy baby at the end!

So jealous of your perfect labour. :blush: hehe. Congrats!!!

Sounds like we both had a nice experience then... think we should both stop at one as we've been so lucky this time ha ha.

I'd forgotten the mw asked me if contractions felt different as well, and my answer was also "I don't know", wonder if they ever get any other answer to that question?

Midwife keeps asking if contractions feel different at which point I keep saying "I don't know". MW and support crew (DH and 2 MILs) are also asking if I wanted different positions, water temp, etc. and in hindsight it turns out when all my answers were "I don't know", I had hit transition. Only problem is that I was too relaxed in pool to push so mw eventually tricked me out of pool.

That is too funny..As I read this, and read your response, I thought the same thing..She's done! Sounds wonderful! Good job Mama!

ur midwife sounds great for the fact she stopped them intervening for no reason what a star! sweet birth story thanks for sharing it with us x

Congratulations hun sounds like a perfect labour you lucky bean lol xx

sounds like a perfect labour, well done hun and congratulations x x x

Awwww this was lovely, congratulations :)

It brought back memories of my labour and birth and brought a tear to my eye. Your birth was just like mine and I will always remember it as one of the best experiences of my life :)

:hugs: xx

Congrats - such a great birth story- really it seems so different from mine! With your mil's there for support to being so far dilated before you went in to the tub, etc. Well done mama - you did great! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->