My Perfect Home Birth with my Rainbow Baby!

Nosy_Cow

Mum to Angel & Rainbow
Reaction score
Ok so this is VERY overdue! My LO was born at home on the 18th January 2011 (told you it was overdue!) but I've been meaning to write her birth story properly (there's bits in my journal) since then! It's just been finding the time to do it!

Bit of info - lost my first daughter at 25 weeks due to a NTD in July 2009. I decided on a home birth due to the fact I did not want to go back into hospital where all the memories of my first daughter was born.

Two days before my due date (due 8th January) I started getting regular contractions. MW came out to see me but hardly started dilating and really not much happening. They continued for the whole weekend (from 6th Jan - 10th Jan) but then suddenly stopped! I had no water leakage and nothing much had happened. All I know is that I was EXHAUSTED by the time they'd stopped. My MW put them down to BH. :(

So a week later at 20:50 on Monday 17th I had my first contraction. I didn't get excited at first after having them the previous week (I just assumed it was more of the same) but my OH did say that I hadn't had any BH over the past week so it could be it. They were a little irregular at first but then settled at 9 minutes - still not excited.

At 22.30 (ish) I went into the kitchen and after a strong contraction the first of my waters went! It was the weirdest thing in the world. I bent over the kitchen side trying to breath through the contraction and then just went VERY VERY wet. Then we did get excited. I sent my OH off to bed at this point knowing he'd need some sleep!

I can't really remember times after that but more of my waters went bit by bit - in the end I stopped trying to get changed and put a sanitary towel and some pants on! At 1am I decided to get in the bath hoping it would help with the stronger contractions I was getting. It didn't really help and the contractions by this point were about 5 minutes apart.

After getting out the contractions stepped up a gear and were all of a sudden coming at 2 minutes apart! I went in to see my OH who hadn't really slept anyway and he told me to ring the MW. I hadn't struggled too much at this point. The stronger contractions I had struggled to breath through but I had a couple of paracetamol and carried on wondering around the house.

My midwife arrived at 2am and after the initial checks she checked my cervix and said I was 5cm's! I couldn't believe it! I continued to have contractions every 2 minutes - I had to stand through them (sitting was too painful!). But I continued to cope well with them and remember watching Jeremy Kyle - only stopping for a contraction.

At 4am my midwife rang the second midwife to get her to come over. By this point I was ready to push. I was told to go with what my body wanted to do and found once I let go and let my body do the work the contractions were much easier to deal with!

My second midwife turned up about 4.20am and her recorded birth was at 4.30am! She was perfect!

Total recorded labour time - 6 hours!
Pain relief - 2 paracetamol!

We had skin to skin contact and then my OH had a cuddle while I delivered the placenta. She was weighed (teeny 5lbs5 or 2.4kg) and we tried breastfeeding. Her temperature was quite low so she was wrapped up warm and fed some formula until her temp was up!

The midwives left at 8am.

So my beautiful home birth was perfect. I would do it all over again! It was the pregnancy I found difficult not the labour! I did however have a small tear. Inside on the muscle (classed as 2nd degree) but no need for stitches! I was just very sore!

That's the story of my rainbow baby being born at home. Something I consider to be quite rare but very special. It meant her big sister was sat watching us from her shelve keeping her safe. :)

Awww better late than never hun, sounds very peaceful :) xx

Ahhhh lovely birth story, enjoy your rainbow baby!

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->