My Poor Jaycee **update**

Laura2919

Team Twilight!!
Reaction score
My poor Jaycee has asthma.

She was admitted to hospital in December with Bronchiolitis and RSV and they warned us it could happen.

She started getting ill on saturday so saturday night we took her to A&E cos she was showing same signs and after that trip a trip to Croydoc (out of hrs doctor) and a few phone calls to doctor, She has antibiotics, an asthma pump and a spacer and has to have calpol and nurofen in between the antibiotics!

Poor little mite. She is sooo poorly.. Her temperature today was 39.7 and after her antibiotics and calpol it went down to 38.7 and then further down to 37.7! Hopefully she gets better soon xx

UPDATE

Well we went to the doctor and finally I can relax. He has given me a stronger antibiotic because she has a chest infection and they have ordered her a chest xray. I have to take her to the childrens hospital tomorrow. He said he definitely thinks she suffers from asthma but thinks it only seems to flare up when she has a cold or fever.

I am hoping the xray shows nothing more than the chest infection we now know about!!!

hope she quickly perks up. I had pretty bad ashma as a child but by 8 or so I was off nebulisers and inhalers hopefully she will grow out of it. Ashma attacks can be quite unsettling to watch but taking her right to Dr or A&E is the right thing to do x

Are they sure it's asthma? I only ask because I've been going through the same with Amelie and we were eventually (after a spacer and ventolin inhaler did naff all) prescibed a course of 3day steroids to see if her cough and breathin probs went away but they didn't so she doesnt have it :shrug: How did they diagnose it?

Poor girl..:( hugs. Hopefully she will grow out of it as she gets older...some kids do.

Jack, my son who is 7months(5months corrected) is on a nebulizer breathing treatment four times a day. He takes steroids as well as a vasodialtor...::( He was sick with Pneumonia and RSV twice since we was born. He has chronic wheezing in his lungs and some doctors say it could be asthma.....but he's very young to diagnose it and we have no family history.

I'm hoping he grows out of all this as well.

Poor girl..:( hugs. Hopefully she will grow out of it as she gets older...some kids do.

Jack, my son who is 7months(5months corrected) is on a nebulizer breathing treatment four times a day. He takes steroids as well as a vasodialtor...::( He was sick with Pneumonia and RSV twice since we was born. He has chronic wheezing in his lungs and some doctors say it could be asthma.....but he's very young to diagnose it and we have no family history.

I'm hoping he grows out of all this as well.

Yeah RSV is horrible. I remember when Jaycee had it.. She had to be admitted to hospital because her sats were under 88!! She was so poorly..

Are they sure it's asthma? I only ask because I've been going through the same with Amelie and we were eventually (after a spacer and ventolin inhaler did naff all) prescibed a course of 3day steroids to see if her cough and breathin probs went away but they didn't so she doesnt have it :shrug: How did they diagnose it?

Jaycee had RSV which means she has a high chance of asthma plus her dad had it as a baby after he got bronchiolitis at 11 months old (a month older than Jaycee was)

They have given me the inhaler to use whilst she is ill and then they will re assess her to see if she needs to be on it for the time being. Doctor thinks its most likely she will need it just not all the time and mainly when she is ill.

I have an appointment today at my doctors to go over everything as I dont want her to be taking a pump she doesnt need.

Poor little lambkin :nope:

RSV is a vile illness which is well known for "flattening" full-term 10Ib babies :cry: My own godson was ventilated for 2 weeks with it, and was a "healthy" 3 month old. There is no real way of knowing which babies will go down hard with it and which won't, but theoretically preemies are more vulnerable.

Evie got the RSV monthly vaccine throughout her first winter - only because she was a 24 weeker. Apparently each course costs the NHS £4000, so they only give it to preemies born before 26wks - that horrified me! It seems so unfair, when in fact ALL preemies born before 36wks should get it in my opinion. I strongly suspect we only got it as well because we knew to ask for it :growlmad:

As a tip to all you preemie mums - make sure to ask whilst your baby is in hospital. It's given between October and March (RSV season)

Much love to Jaycee darlin'. My godson was among the 1% of babies who are the worst affected by RSV - he is 9 now and absolutely fighting fit. He did have inhalers, and a few nasty chest infections in his first 5yrs, but his lungs are now fully mature and the damage to them negligable. :hugs:

I didnt even know they did a vaccine for it.. Thats how much we got told!! aye!!

Well she was only hospitalized for 5 days with it and was on oxygen for 3 days of it. Her sats kept going up and down for the next day and then the nurse that night turned her machine off because they thought it was faulty and came in every hr to check her sats, Apparently they were good by then.

I have to admit I dont know much about it all in all. Just that its not a good virus to get.
x

Isn't it infuriating? I only knew because of my godson, and I'd researched it.

It's less a vaccine, and more that they give your child a monthly immunity by injecting live antibodies to RSV. They only last 4-5weeks, hence why we had to keep going in for it over the winter.

It scares me how much clinicians rely on the fact that most people don't know what they're entitled to :growlmad:

As an aside, 3 of my friend's babies were admitted with RSV and on oxygen for some of that time. They were full-term "healthy" babies. It is that common, and probably unrelated to Jaycee's prematurity. Be reassured that it is a threat to ALL babies, and her residual problems will most likely ease as she grows hun.

No one is really sure why it affect some kids so drastically and not others. For many it is just like the common cold and doesn't go anywhere near their chests. Theoretically prem babies are more susceptible to complications from RSV, but not always - it really can affect any baby. x

Yea We did the Vaccine with two of our children. It's one injection a month and in the US it costs a 1000 for ONE shot!

She has her chest xray today, She is with my aunty this morning because my boss is on holiday and if i take sick or holidays now there is no one to cover me thats available. So my aunty has got her. Chloe is at nursery. I am about to finish up here and take her for her x ray while marks dad looks after Chloe for me.

I feel sorry for Chloe cos she hasnt had my full attention in 2 days. She was so tired from crying that she fell asleep at 5.50pm and was asleep.. She has had to listen to Jaycee waking in the night screaming and its not good for her either!

I'm shattered. Havent had a full nights sleep in nearly a week! Roll on weekend! lol.

I will let you all know the results.. Thank You for asking xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->