My premature baby

Preemiemummy

Reaction score
Hi All,

My baby girl was born this April at 27 plus 2 gestation. After 9 long weeks in Nicu she was discharged from hospital. We felt it was a bit too early as she still had a few problems but the nurses insisted she would be ok. After 19 hours at home thank god we noticed she had stopped breathing. We called an ambulance and they resuscitated her. She had gone blue and her eyes were in the back of her head, I thought she had died. She is back at hospital now and stable. I am so scared to have her home now in case it happens again. the doctors say it is due to reflux and have prescribed her medicine. Has anyone ever bought an apnea monitor for home? If so, which one is the best? I feel when she comes home now I will have to watch her constantly as I am so scared of loosing her :-(
i am also really concerned that the lack of oxygen due to the apnea episode has damaged her. Is it common for babies to go blue??? Should I be angry with the hospital for discharging her so early?? Help!

I'm so sorry, what a fright!! I don't have any advice to offer but hopefully some of the other ladies here on bnb will be able to provide it.

:hugs:

How frightening, I have no experience but my friend had a similar experience. Her daughter went blue and was rushed back to hospital by ambulance. They were given reflux meds and the hospital supplied an apnoea monitor on loan. Her baby was fine and had no ill effects.

Oh my goodness how terrifying for you. :(

We were given an apnoea monitor home from the hospital. We still use it, and Anya has been home for 3 months. xx

Blimey, thats awful for you. We never had anything that serious but there is another poster on here who had a similar event and may hopefully read your post and offer you some support.

hey hun, how awful, i hope ur lo gets better soon and comes back home. I have a tommy tippee apnea monitor, its just a sensor pad that goes under the moses basket matress n alarms if baby stops breathing for over 20seconds. also i think its called angel care, they have a fab one so ive heard, they both do the same thing tho. xx

((hugs)) that was one of my fears when we brought Alex home (27+4). You should try and ask the hospital if they can loan you a monitor, otherwise like freddiesmum said Tommee Tippee and Angelcare both do sensor monitors. If you buy the Angelcare one, a portion of the sale goes to Bliss x

That must have been so scary. When their oxygen levels dip low they do go that colour. My lo had a really bad episode at 35 weeks in the hospital and she went blue. Thankfully it doesnt seem to have affected her.

I have the angelcare monitor at home and the tommee tippee at the inlaws both have the sensor mat to detect breathing. I prefer the angelcare one. Xx

Thanks everyone for the advice. They are going to discharge her on Monday but this time on oxygen and I am going to loan a monitor. Hopefully she will not give us a scare like last time and at least time we are more prepared. Fingers Crossed xxx

So sorry to hear about your little girls scary episode. Harry came home on o2 and was desatting up to week before we went home and then tey turned the monitors off. We brought the Angel Care monitor and still use it now, harry is 13 and a half months old. We use it for every sleep and its the best thing we brought, it reassured me every sleep xxx

Hey, grace arrested at home 10 days after we discharge from nicu and then again in A&E, they did CPR and heart massage for about 20 minutes before she started breathign again and she ended up back on a vent on the PICU at a big hospital in another city. She is now home on an apnea monitor and still has apnea every now and again (maybe 2 a week) which respond to stimulation. They never found out why but started her on reflux meds anyway just in case and her discharge letter just says ''query sepsis.''

I really hope she doesnt scare you again like that! xx

Hope your LO is ok - this happened to Sophie as well but she was still in hospital at the time. It must have been 100 times more scary having it happen at home - in hospital was bad enough!

I was always scared in case it happened again after she came home but it didn't. We have a Tommee Tippee monitor. x

hi there;
My son had bad acid reflux and we took him home at 37 weeks. He was born at 30. I was terrified of this happening and he had an episode once where we had to take him to emergency. We strugelled with acid reflux for months until we found a milk thickener called gumilk by gallia which worked amazingly well.We stopped all the meds (he had a lot) and just used the thickener. What a life saver. We had tried other thickeners but they didn't work. If your son is still suffering from acid reflux, I highly recommend you try this thickener. pm me if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->