My slacking baby... any ideas?

Skywalker

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

I'm having an issue where my baby will scream bloody murder for the boob and will be giving me tons of hunger cues like trying to eat his hands, turning his head and rooting for my nipple, etc. Then, when he's on the breast, he'll drink for a few minutes but then falls asleep. Almost nothing I do wakes him up for very long once this has happened. I've tried undressing him so he's a little cold and more alert, tapping his cheeks and forehead to wake him, making a sudden "Ah!" shout kind of sound like Captain Jack Sparrow :haha: (that one always works to startle him awake), pulling him off the breast slowly to see if he starts sucking again, etc.

All of the above will wake him up for a few moments, but inevitably he takes a few more sips and then drifts back off to sleep.

The problem is that since he's not actually eating half the time he's on my boob, when I take him off, he again screams bloody murder and gives me hunger cues and doesn't calm down until he's on the boob again. But then he calms WAY down and falls asleep again. So I end up with either a screaming hungry baby off the boob, or a sleeping, sometimes suckling baby on the breast 24/7.

What can I do? Should I take him completely off the breast whenever he falls asleep?

PS - He hates pacifiers and spits them out. The only other thing he likes to suck on other than my nipple is my pinky.

I don't have any advice to give since I have the same problem. It seems to be getting better now, but it is not thanks to anything I've tried I think.

Following in case something helpful comes up :)

This is quite normal in the early days especially in the evenings. You can try undressing, tickling, cold cloth to try to keep him awake if you are worried about weight gain. Honestly if you are not too sore letting him comfort nurse can be great for bonding and your supply. For the first 3 months my guy would cluster feed for hours every evening, I would just switch sides every 30 minutes or so, he would scream as soon as I took him off

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->