My Son's Birth Story

M

Maman

Tyler was due on 7th feb but on the 15th of Feb I was given a sweep. The doctor struggled to do it and kept hesitating so it wasnt done very well and it didnt work.

So on monday17th feb 2008 i went in for an induction i had to be there for 8.30. They put me on the day ward and about 10.15 the first gel induction was done. I then spent all day walking around the hospital and by 5pm i was getting pretty bored. Dinner was brought round and i started to eat. Whilst i did this they put me on the monitor. I was having regular contractions and they were strong (although i couldnt feel them, im guessing this was because of the pain i was already in!) and the midwife decided against a second dose of the gel. This was a mistake. By 7pm they were getting much worse and i found it hard to sit down.

We had to wait till 9pm for a bed to become available on the ward. I was taken up to a private room. it was lovely and had an En-suite. Will went home and i was advised to get a shower and make myself comfy. I struggled to have a shower and after tried to go for a wee, when i sat down it felt like i was sitting on a knifes edge! I got in to bed and put on my Tens.

At about 10:30pm the head midwife came in and i was crying a little. She decided to give me some paracetamol and a sleeping tablet. She then put me on the monitor. She couldnt find Tylers heartbeat. I turned on my side and back and when she could pick it up it was faint. She sat for nearly 2 hours with me moving the little pads about and trying to get a decent trace. Tylers heartrate was low- around 80 to 112 but there were fluctuations so we stayed like that. At mindight she had to go do soem other stuff so she got another midwife to come and hold the monitor on. I was told to call will. He was there very quick. The next hew hours was a blur because the midwife started screaming at me to get on my side. Tylers heart had gone dangerously low around 60-70. I was rushed down to the labour ward. There it stabilised and i was put on a monitor again. The room as so cold and the paracetamol had worn off. i waled around it and will slept on the labour bed.

Around 8am the midives changed shifts. I'll never forget how i felt when the next lady came through the door. She was so nice, she reassured me and started to get things moving. By now my contractions had stopped because i had needed that extra dose of gel. She called the registrar and they all decided to break my waters and put me on the syntocin drip. She advised an epidural. will went home around 5.

It took two attempts to break my waters and when they broke they literally gushed for about 6 or 7 hours. They gave me gas and air to do this but i didnt take it cause it didnt hurt, it was such a releif! (sorry if TMI but my pad was changed every 10 mins!) She called the head midwife and they said that i had polyhydramnios (too much fluid) I had the drip and a couple of hours later i took her advise had had the epidural. I was 4cm dilated and all day i was kept on the monitor and drip. By midnight i hadnt dilated past 6cm and i was on the full dosage for the drip. It was then decided that because Tyler was struggling and foetal sampling was a bad idea because of his heartrate to do an caesarean section. Will came back and got to the hospital in just 15 minutes!

I remember feeling so scared as i was wheeled in to the theatre. I just though of my mom and the many operations she had over the years. After strapping my legs to the massager thing and setting up they gave me the big epidural. It was weird. You can feel your legs and tummy but it doesnt hurt and you cant feel heat or cold very well. I was shaking like mad, part nerves and part epidural. That first cut was such a weird sensation. After a fair while and a lot of movements i heard a gasping sound and then a loud "maaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaa" The nurse announced it was a baby boy. I just cried. I whaled louder than my baby!!! They checked him ver which took ages and i asked for him to be passed to Will because after 32 hours of labour i felt a bit weak! His cord was taken away by the cord blood donation person and they proceeded to check my womb and ovaries over and put everything back in to place. This was sooo painful, much worse than labour by far, and i also had a terrible pain in my chest. They gave me an injection in my chest and then gave me gas and air. This time i took so much!

Shortly later we were wheeled through to the recovery room where Tyler had his first breastfeed. I fell asleep and We were taken upstairs. Apparently he woke at around 4 am and i got up and picked him up and breastfed him! I dont know how because the next day i couldnt walk!

I had a planned C Sec they are daunting aint they x

Mine was emergency. It was scary at the time but i dont think id be bothered now

awww hun what a long daunting labour and what a result a beautiful baby boy, everyone says its all worth it in the end and it is but in the situation its hard to try and calm yourself. Well done you did a brilliant job and now baby boy Tyler has arrived, I hope my birth runs abit more smoothly but to be onest I dont think it will lol.... well done again :hugs:

Congratulations & thanks for sharing your amazing story :hugs: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->