My stomach muscles are stopping Flump from engaging - WTF?!?

Noodles

Mummy to two boys!
Reaction score
He is still 'free' as my stomach muscles are holding him in place. He apprently is trying to wiggle his way down to engage but my stomach muscles are holding him tight so he is struggling to get to where he needs to be.

I saw a different midwife today, she said that my normal midwife will discuss my options next week. Any idea what she means by that?!?

Hmmm... never heard that one before! I knew there was a reason for me not keeping fit though, lol!!! Do you think they may be considering c-section? Or maybe just look at ways you can help lo on his way (ie, getting down on all fours for half an hour each day). Sorry i'm not much help x

I've never heard of anything like that before. Surely if he is in the amniotic fluid and uterus then the stomach muscles will have little hold over him!

Ive not heard of it before hun either sorry, my midwife always says i have very strong stomach muscles so makes it hard for her to feel where he is, will keep an eye on this thread xx

I've googled it and I can't find anything. I think the woman is nuts! It's not like I was a six pack before getting pregnant!

I found this

"If you have strong stomach muscles, baby may engage later in pregnancy."

but isn't 38 weeks "later in pregnancy" ?

found this too
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment/whenheadengage/
• If you are very sporty and have well-toned abdominal muscles this may mean that your tummy is held in tighter, which changes the angle of the baby's body and presenting part to the pelvic brim. In this position it is harder for your baby to engage in the pelvis. To encourage your baby's head to engage you need to relax your tummy muscles and "dangle your belly" out at the front.

hope your regular MW can give you some answers!

I've googled it and I can't find anything. I think the woman is nuts! It's not like I was a six pack before getting pregnant!

visualises you as a female body builder, hahahahahaahah

:thumbup: xxx

Tbh, some babies don't engage until labour actually starts so it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I've got stupidly strong abs, which makes it difficult for the MW to find the top of my uterus each time, but at my last app at 36 weeks I was 2/5 engaged.

Try dancing round the living room, lots of Shakira-style hip swirling :D

This is quite funny - we seem to have various things similar... (small babies, problems with stomach muscles...) :dohh:

Unlike you I did have a subtle "six pack" before pregnancy: not a "manly" one at all, just very well toned and strong abdominal muscles...! Just working out, pilates, yoga and various core exercises... (nothing extreme). The funny thing is that I felt that my core muscles were one of the first things to "go" during pregnancy (i.e. the reduction is strength was marked very quickly - by 8/9 weeks). They must still be a lot stronger than average :shrug:

My baby is still breech - so turning full-stop is the concern, let alone engaging. The worry is that, even though baby is tiny, my strong abdominal muscles may prevent him from turning: I am guessing yours may be similar... I still have time though - have a scan in two weeks to check progress.

They may well offer a form of ECV - to palpate the baby down towards engaging? The first thing they will offer me (if he hasn't turned) is an ECV to try to turn him... doesn't sound a lot of fun when you have tight abdominal muscles... :wacko:

QT

Ok prehaps she isn't nuts, but she could have explained herself a bit better. I can't see my wiggles reminding my husband of Sharkia, more like a wobbley hippo doing a mating dance, but it's worth a try!

Oh, c'mon now Noodles! All you need is a tablecloth wrapped round your waist and to warble on about breasts and mountains.....or something :p

ive googled it and cant find anything either, i think what may happen tho if this is true u might end up having to have a c section, but i wudnt worry just yet chick, i thin kthat mw is a bit confused herself, have a proper chat the next time u can! x

oops i think i need to read more comments .... and update myself lol

ive googled it and cant find anything either, i think what may happen tho if this is true u might end up having to have a c section, but i wudnt worry just yet chick, i thin kthat mw is a bit confused herself, have a proper chat the next time u can! x

I haven't spent a fortune on anti strech mark cream to get a scar! She can sod off!

I haven't spent a fortune on anti strech mark cream to get a scar! She can sod off!

I wouldn't worry (am sure that chance of C Sections is low anyway, but...): a C Section incision is VERY low (i.e. BELOW the pubic hair line)... So - UNLESS you are into naturism/"nude sunbathing" AND brazilians - nobody will really see it.

I haven't been rubbing the anti-stretchmark cream/oil into the area below my pubic hair line, so I could get stretchmarks there anyway :winkwink:

QT

I wouldn't worry, having a high head alone is NOT a medical indication for section. I would question anyone who ever thought so. The least that would happen is, you would be induced if you go past your due date, unless there is a medical need to induce you sooner of course. They would at least let the process of labour bring the baby's head down then resort to major surgery. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->