My very little wedding! - 5th January 2013

CatStorey

Mum to Chloe and Tom :)
Reaction score
Hello ladies :)

I spend most of my days on the forum but hardly write much anymore. Although recently found this section and have been loving reading about everyones up coming weddings........so exciting!! :happydance:

I thought I'd like to share my wedding with you. What I have done so far and the next 6 weeks on the run up to my big day!!

I am having a very small wedding, 13 guests:

My Mum
My Dad
My Sister
Sisters OH
Niece
Other Sister
Sisters OH
Niece
Nephew
OH Mum
OH Stepdad
OH Brother
My daughter

The thought of having a big wedding makes me want to run for the hills.....lol! I think I would get too stressed with a large wedding. `We also wanted to splash out on the food as its extremely important to us (we both work in food) and couldn't afford to do that with lots of guests.

I got married first time when I was 18. I was so young, I can't even remember it. Just got swept along, did everything what MIL wanted. I didn't get to choose anything, didn't know pretty much any of the guests, so am absolutely loving be able to decide all the little things I want. its so special! :cloud9:

Going to post now all the things I have got so far...........

I knew I didn't want a big dress. I got this nearly a year ago now in the January sales so have had it hanging in my bedroom forever!!

It looks so much better on........I just love it :cloud9:

8133-mz.jpg

Our ceremony venue is - https://www.balmerlawnhotel.com/

We chose it only because its near where we are staying and its on the way to the reception venue. I haven't even been there :dohh:
Also.......it was the cheapest!

After the ceremony we will then jump in taxis and head down to the reception. Its about 15 mins down the road.

I spent forever looking for this venue. As we are massive foodies it needed to be a place that was well know for amazing food. But also, as I have my daughter and also my nieces and nephew I needed somewhere accommodating for children. I didn't want it to be all stuffy and have to worry about the kids all day.

We chose - https://www.chewtonglen.com/

Its amazing!! Its totally child friendly. I love it!

We are having our meal in this room (not the best picture) -

Chewton-Glen-Restaurant-17-05-11-245796-11-e1314106555130.jpg

We have written the menu ourselves along with the chef so all really exciting! I can't wait to eat :)

I started off looking at hotels for the weekend for everyone to stay in but it was starting to get really pricey. I didn't feel I could ask people to pay themselves as everyone is really skint but I so wanted to have everyone together for the whole weekend.
My OH parents and little brother live in Finland and only have met my parents once (his stepdad never) so its incredibly important for me to have everyone spend the weekend getting to know each other. I really want to make a weekend of it.

So, after booking a hotel and cancelling it I found this https://www.halcyonholidaycottages.co.uk/stables-holiday-cottage.htm#
-

DSC_5830_29_28_27_26_tonemapped.jpg

Its a massive holiday house in the New Forest (sleeps 30!!) and its loads cheaper than hotels for 2 nights. We get the house from Friday through to Monday so its idea. We can hang out, our parents can drink tea and chat, the kids can run and play and me, my sisters and oh's can hit the local pubs........he he!

I didn't want flowers. No idea why! I just really didn't fancy them and didn't want to spend a lot of money on something i couldn't keep.

So I am having a Brooch Bouquet :)

I spent about 9 months collecting brooches from family and friends. Its extra special as I am not having anyone apart from immediate family with me on the day so this way I do still have a part of them there. I also have friends all over the world from my time working in hotels and they have sent them over and its just so so special!!

This is the Facebook page of the lady doing it - https://www.facebook.com/cuteasabuttonbouquet?fref=ts

She is making it at the moment so can't wait to post a picture when its all ready!

Chloe is having a Button Bouquet. That one is finished now. Here it is -

539351_387979241251240_157293248_n.jpg

282655_387979284584569_981959853_n.jpg

She is also doing Button Holes for the men and little posies for the ladies.

My daughter Chloe will walk down the aisle with me.

She is wearing this (both from Monsoon) -

546091205_o.jpg

8843531878430.jpg

Love all your plans so far, it all looks fab! Espesh love the bouquet, I'm off to have a look on the Facebook page now :)

I really feel the need to write this down. Probably so boring but Its going round and round my head so think it will help if I put it down then can just re-read it and can stop stressing......ha ha!

When I first started planning the wedding I was so sure i wanted a totally relaxed time. Not too much formality, just a fun family get together.................with a wedding thrown in :thumbup:

Now its all booked this is the plan:

My OH's parents will arrive from Finland about 3 days before. They will stay with us and we will show them round where we live and let them settle in a bit.

Friday 4th - Head down to the house we are staying in. Can check in anytime after 11am I think. Its about 20 mins on train from us (we don't drive).

I need to go down to the reception venue to drop off the favours, place cards etc then I will come back to the house.

Family will arrive throughout the afternoon as they will be coming down from London.

Chill out in the evening, have a few drinks, fight over the bedrooms, relax with family :)

I'm going to sleep away from my OH that night. I wasn't going too but have decided it will add to the excitement of the day.

Saturday 5th - Ceremony is at 10.30am so early start :coffee:
I'm doing my own hair and having a make-up lady come to the house.

Everyone will jump in cabs (not having wedding cars) and head down to the ceremony venue. I'll wait with my dad and Chloe and head down about 20 mins afterwards.

Get married :)

Glass of prosseco after the ceremony and some photo's then back in some cabs and head down to the Reception venue.

My family can explore and have a drink whilst me and OH go off and have some photo's. Then a few more photo's before lunch with the family.

Lunch :)

After lunch maybe chill out at the venue for a while. Kids can play outside, they have amazing grounds and a tree house (weather dependent of course!!). Others can go exploring the surrounds as its so beautiful, my sisters love walking and want to try and get down to the beach if not snowed in!

Go back to the house and relax. Maybe put the kids to bed and let the Grandparents babysit whilst we go out to a local pub or 2 :winkwink:

Sunday 6th - Take a look around the town (we are staying in Lyndhurst in the New Forest), hang out. Everyone making a move in the afternoon as back to work Monday. Me, OH and Chloe will stay until Monday and pretend we are rich in a giant house.....lol!

Well done to anyone who read this far :flower:

Yay........just been and collected the rings from the Jewelers :happydance:

There not that interesting, just your standard wedding rings. But mine sits nicely with my engagement ring and I love it :thumbup:

542595_10151290939081049_1996155005_n.jpg

On the day I will also be wearing this Bracelet. It was made for me by one of my closest friends and its amazing. She is so talented :)

263530_10151290939221049_24171090_n.jpg

And this necklace. Not long after my Grandma passed away my mum used her inheritance to buy me and my sisters a very special necklace each. Its so precious to me it only comes out on very very special occasions.

483080_10151290939116049_1419325148_n.jpg

Nothing matches but I'm not fussed. It all means something to me and that's more important :cloud9:

I love tiny weddings, so special! It's a stunning dress, really is. I love your dinner venue too.

Hey

Loving your plans, esp that big house such a perfect idea!

I totally understand what your saying about big weddings! Am having 40 in the day, i am bricking it to be fair. How you feeling seems jan is only around the corner? x

Thanks ladies :hugs:

So happy I am going for a small wedding. Upsets me sometimes as when people ask about my wedding and I tell them there will be 15 of us they look at my a bit sad. And say things like "oh, weddings are so expensive arn't they" or my sister says "are you sure you don't want to invite just one friend"?

No one seems to get that I WANT a small wedding. I couldn't imagine it any other way. Everyone just assumes I am doing it because I can't afford it. I have had someone try and convince me to have a big wedding a few months ago, went on for ages about how I'll regret it etc :cry:

I have nothing against big weddings at all. My sister did and it was an amazing day. But for me this is what I want. Me and OH are not mega confident people and I think I wouldn't enjoy it.

Sorry.....went off on a rant there!! Feel better now though xxxx

I totally agree with you there. Our ceremony will be just us, parents, bridesmaids/groomsmen and our daughter (12 and half people including us and our LO) and I've had so many people question it. My mum said I had to invite brothers/sisters at least but I have 2 brothers and 3 sisters, plus their families. It would have taken the total up to 25!!! I just tell people we want it small. The promises we're making to each other are exactly that, 'to each other'. We don't want a big ceremony and a big fuss, but no-one understands :wacko: I don't think we'll regret it one bit. I can't think of any other way I'd want to get married :thumbup:

I love tiny weddings! We will have 35 during the day which I think is considered a small-ish wedding. Your wedding sounds like it will be very personal and intimate... just perfect :)

So, I went for my make-up trial yesterday..........and I hated it :cry:

It was too much. I looked nothing like I normally do. I did ask for Natural as I don't wear much make-up and thats what she said she did but to me I looked ridiculous.

She gave me stick on eye lashes and I looked so freaky, and gold eyeshadow :( Those things I know I can easily tell her not to do but it was the foundation as well. I looked much darker than I like but she said she couldn't go any lighter.

So now I just dont know :shrug:

Do I do another trial with a different makeup artist.....and risk another £50 being wasted (which I really can't afford) or do I just attempt it myself.

I don't think my makeup looks that bad. Just wanted to be prefect for the photo's.

Help!

Deffo don't go with her :wacko: your face shouldn't be any darker than it is naturally. Foundation is for levelling skin tone out, not for giving you a tan :/ And gold isn't the colour is have gone for if attempting the 'natural' look :wacko::wacko: She should have stuck to pale pinks, oatmeals, and some soft browns for depth!!!
What was her portfolio like? Did she have an example of someone's make-up that you liked? If you go with someone else make sure their portfolio is large and up to date. And preferably has a look that you're going for so you can say 'that one'. The artist should be able to recreate a look she's already done :thumbup:

Sorry it didn't go how you wanted, but all is not lost x

Thanks hun :hugs:
Glad it wasn't just me that thought gold eye shadow was rather odd for the Natural look! She's really young so I thought she would be cool and not make me look like a granny :dohh:

After lots of thought I have decided just to do it myself. Looking back through photo's of myself I don't look that bad, I'm sure I can do a good enough job. And I did learn something from her - to use a make-up primer and setting spray - 2 things I had never heard of before. So I guess she was a bit useful :)

So today's job (in between working of course :winkwink: ) was printing the menus to send out.

The whole wedding revolves around our meal. I'm so excited!!

We have written the menu from scratch along with the chef. I have printed them on some lovely pink parchment paper and will send out to everyone so they can choose what they want. I need to give the pre-orders in 2 weeks before.

The pictures aren't great.

540106_10151294970951049_1167669750_n.jpg

68310_10151294970891049_987496986_n.jpg

What a lovely wedding plan, so personal and intimate. I love it :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79