My Worst Nightmare Became My Dream Come True!

Phantom

Mommy
Reaction score
Throughout my pregnancy (this was my first) my OH and I had discussed the birth process and what we would be most afraid of. It turns out what I was most scared of happened. I've struggled with anxiety and depression for 10+ years and after the birth I began having symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. But now they are slowly getting better and I hope the worst is over and I can just enjoy my little blessing.

About a week before my due date my braxton hicks increased and I started experiencing what my book described as "practice labour" which got worse a few days prior. My second due date of Aug 28th passed so we decided to DTD and immediately after I began losing my plug. On my original due date of August 30th I woke up at 4am with contractions 10 minutes apart. I went to the couch to avoid waking up OH and they came to 6 minutes apart. They then went back to 10 minutes apart and increased in intensity which confused me and when I told OH in the morning he thought they must be braxton hicks so he went to work. They quickly went back down to 6 minutes and were very painful but I tend to internalize pain so my OH didn't take me seriously. Finally at 11am I begged him to come home and we went to the hospital. It was a good thing we went in when we did because I was almost 7 cm! :thumbup:

I asked for an epidural (even though everyone was telling me I was handling the pain amazingly because I was so quiet!) and the doctor discovered I have scoliosis. This complicated the epidural process quite a bit but eventually it worked. By 3pm I was 10 cm and started pushing but it wasn't doing much. The baby's heart rate dropped and they began calling different doctors to figure out what was happening. It turns out the baby was transverse. He was a little trooper and tried to turn himself but by 4pm he couldn't do anymore. His heart rate dropped again. They gave me oxygen and tried turning me but it continued to drop. Finally a doctor realized his cord was compressed and his face was the wrong way. His heart rate stayed very low and I heard the nurses say "call a code blue". Soon there were about 15 people in the room and my head was spinning. I began crying and everyone was talking at once it seemed. Then I heard "forceps". :nope:

This was what I was dreading. We had discussed my fear of forceps and had decided that if it came to that we would rather have a c-section. Silly, I know, but forceps terrified me. I didn't want anything like that touching my baby and possibly harming him. But there was no choice. It's a blurr except for the flashbacks of the horrible pain, people yelling at me to push, and me screaming "please stop, take it out!"

But Quinton William was born at 4:14pm weighing 6 lbs 12 oz and 19.5 inches long. :cloud9:

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306020_873628426350_187909972_44422792_4732876_n.jpg

He is doing great. He had blood sugar issues at first and we had to stay in the hospital longer but now he is just fine. He weighs 6 lbs 7 oz now and is feeding well. Breast feeding is very hard so he is getting a mixture of breast milk and formula.

I had about a gazillion stitches and I can't wait to recover so I can be less useless! OH has taken to his new daddy role amazingly and adores his little guy.

Sorry for the overdramatization. I am so lucky it went as well as it did and I have survived my biggest fear.

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294013_873631704780_187909972_44422900_4152014_n.jpg

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292717_873632148890_187909972_44422924_4208303_n.jpg

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302924_873620956320_187909972_44422704_5594944_n.jpg

Wow... glad you overcome your fear and thank you for posting your birth story. He's a little beauty! :D

Gosh you poor thing but well done, sounds like you have coped brilliantly x He is really truly gorgeous, one of the sweetest babies I've seen on here!! Congratulations xxx

Congratulations. I hope you can put the birth behind you soon x

:cry: Sorry you had to go through that, but I am happy he is here safe and sound :hugs:

You did great!

:hugs: Sorry the birth turned out to be everything you were dreading. Your picture are absolutely beautiful such a gorgeous little boy :thumbup:

Congratulations Phantom and welcome to the world Quinton, hope that you are make swift recovery, take care xx

congratulations. Sound similar to my birth story... forceps was also my biggest fear but thats what was needed and i'm just glad we are both fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->