Name guilt!

SVT1991

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone regrets their baby name? I love the name just not sure its her and my husband loves the name saying shell grow into it being our second daughter we really struggled to find names we both love but now i cant help but feel a little guilt over the name.. please tell me im not the only one? Im trying to get used to it as i feel bad thinking about changing it!
Out first is Lilly but the one im doubting is Kaitlyn, i lived it when she was born buu now i really doubt it and feel so guilty! All i do is look at her abd think your a chloe feel like a terrible mum! Shes almost 6 months xx

My oldest daughter goes by Alex which suits her very well, but her full name is Alexandra. We always intended to call her Alex but wanted to give her a more formal and/or feminine full name so she had the option should she want it. I thought Alexandra would grow on me but it really hasn't. Whenever they call her name out at the doctor's office I cringe a little. I am tempted to register in school as Alex but I don't even know if I can.

My youngest is Elizabeth which I love. She goes by Lizzie which I really don't love. I always thought of her as Ellie when she was in my belly haha but no one else calls her that and my husband really dislikes it so I just go with the flow.

So yeah, I have a little bit of name regret with both of my kids but for opposite reasons. I do like that their names lend themselves to several shortened versions so as they get older they can choose to be called whatever they want. Kaitlyn has so many nickname possibilities, maybe you can find one that sticks.

I do sometimes wonder if i picked the right name for my son. We wanted him to be called Daniel but our friends had a little boy 6 weeks before us and thats what they chose. As much as i like Alexander im just not 100% sure on it now, so much so i only ever say his name when people ask what it is. He's known as dudie in our family and its what he actually responds to. x

Kaitlyn is a nice name with nick name options if she hasn't "grown" into her full name. What about Kate or Katie?

I feel like this about Emma's name. I hardly ever refer to her as Emma - generally she's Emmy or squirmy wormy. I feel like she should have been Anna or Alice.

With a young baby I would just change their name if you weren't happy with it! I haven't experienced name regret myself, but when kids are so young it's not going to be a big deal for them. If other people care then they obviously don't have enough to worry about in their lives!

Sort of, I regret my LO's middle name Jesse. OH wanted him to be called Jesse so I felt like I had to compromise, I actually cringe if someone asks me his middle name.

Also his forename is Lucas, Surname Walker, I feel like kids will associate that with luke skywalker and pick on him.

I like Kaitlyn, lots of options for shortening it

Whenever they call her name out at the doctor's office I cringe a little. I am tempted to register in school as Alex but I don't even know if I can.
Most school computer systems have a space for "Legal Name" and "Preferred Name". Preferred name then appears on most documents unless they require legal name (for example her qualification certificates - I know long way off - will have her legal name so as to match her birth certificate, but the school register and reports will have her preferred name.

Sort of, I regret my LO's middle name Jesse. OH wanted him to be called Jesse so I felt like I had to compromise, I actually cringe if someone asks me his middle name.

Also his forename is Lucas, Surname Walker, I feel like kids will associate that with luke skywalker and pick on him.

Why would anyone pick on Luke Skywalker...even if they tried it wont work "Haha you're Luke Skywalker", "Yes I am, I am an awesome Jedi with mind control powers!"

Erin I think you should be able to. My DH and I were school sweethearts and I always known him as "Greg". This was always the name he went by in school and even in the yearbook. Come to find out when I married him that his legal name was Gregory. Not much of a change but I always thought he was just Greg, so I assume that if you wanted to call her just Alex, you should be able to register her under that name.

SVT as to your question I don't regret my new DD's first name but I do wish I would have picked a different middle name for her. I liked one name but DH liked another and I ended up going with the name he chose to shut him up. Now I regret it. I know middle names aren't used much but I don't like the one we chose at all. I also regret that I put an extra "a" in my first daughter's name, whose name is Rachael (spelled that way). I should have just kept it "Rachel" because that's how most people write it.

If its causing you distress and something that doesn't sit right with you I'd change it . It's not too late and will be a brilliant story for your daughter :) she won't even remember !!!

I love the name Kaitlyn, I think it's quite common to worry about a name when a baby is so young, it takes a while to get used to.
My daughter is Nikita (named after our mothers, Nikolette and Rita), it's grown on me and I do love it but I still call her Kitty for short. I never liked the traditional shortening of 'Nikki' so I found my own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->