Name my child!!

itsnowmyturn

Reaction score
Well we have had such a hard time naming our son. At the moment he is called Joseph and his middle name is Robert but neither of us love either name. He is 18 days old at the moment and doesn't get registered till 10th November so we have time to change it.

Our daughter is Sophie Lana, we took 8 days to name her. We picked Sophie because it isn't a name that defines a personality, it's not an out of the ordinary name but it's not a really common name (we are yet to meet another Sophie of her age). We picked Lana because she was born in her waters and she was a chilled out calm baby and Lana in Hawaiian means as calm as still waters. I love her middle name and love that it has meaning.

Our son was almost born in his waters (they went 10 minutes after a started pushing and only 2 minutes before his head was born. We have so far picked Joseph because like Sophie it's not common but it's not an out of the ordinary name. Rob was the midwife who delivered our son, that wasn't the reason we have Robert as the middle name but it's a happy coincidence that it gives his name a little bit of meaning.

We are happy to keep Joseph if we can't find anything else but we would like a meaningful middle name like my daughter. The only thing different about his birth is that he was almost born in his waters so was thinking of a water themed name again.

So far middle names I have are:
Cade (short for cascade which is a girls name bit means waterfall)
Kai - Hawaiian like my daughter's and means sea
Dylan - son of the sea
Trent - gushing waters
Kelvin - narrow water
Calder - rocky water
Hurley - sea tide

I haven't run any of these passed my oh but I am pretty sure he will say no to Trent, Calder, Hurley and Kelvin.

Can anyone suggest any boys names that are normal but not common and any suggestions for middle names with some sort of water meaning (or maybe Hawaiian as that will tie in with my daughters)

I absolutely love the name Asher for a boy, unfortunately we couldn't use it because my husband didn't like it. I think Asher Kai sounds great together!

My oh would hate Asher. He likes traditional type of names but ones that aren't old or common.
Before we had Robert I quite liked the sound of Joseph Arthur but he doesn't like Arthur because it's too old fashioned.
Boys names are so much harder, at least with girls names there's are pretty names that u can grow to like. With boys names I think it's easy to pick wrong and end up with a name that will just do

And I have run all the names I suggested passed oh and he doesn't like any of them

I have a Jason. It's normal/plain and I have found that it is not a common name for kids these days. I'm not sure on middle names but other names I like are:

Matthew
Andrew
Ewan
Elliott

I can't actually think of any more right now... :dohh: I apologise if these are common where you are!

I really think we will just end up sticking with Joseph Robert because we can think if anything else and it will just have to do. The problem is once u start telling people the name it gets recorded everywhere so u have to get it changed, Drs health visitor all of them.
I always claim baby's should be born with a name label and that's what u have to deal with lol

I absolutely love the name Joseph and it goes lovely with Sophie- id stick with it! Middle name flows well too.

I also love Jonah for a boy and also has the water link, although perhaps not quite what you were after!!

https://www.babynames.biz/water-themed-baby-names.html

Most if these aren't at all normal but maybe you'll find some inspiration, good luck! I don't know what we would've called DD if she'd been a boy!

We want to avoid both first and middle names beginning with j because he would become jj and we don't like that.
I am thinking that we will probably stick with Joseph, it was the name we had picked out for a boy when I was pregnant with my daughter but neither of us really liked it as much this time round. We were showing between Ethan and Joseph, I also kinda like Jacob but it's a bit of a mouthful with the surname (begins with a Co so sort of clashes with the co sound of Jacob).
I feel like he looks more like an Ethan than a Joseph but I have a bad association with an Ethan, although that doesn't bother me too much and in time that association would go, it's always at the back of my mind when I say ethan.

The more I think about changing his first name the more I resist it, the problem is that I no he looks like a certain name, I just can't put my finger on what that name is.

My friends named their son Walter - not very common, slightly old fashioned and a bit watery! I like really unusual names so I wouldn’t pick it, but I think it goes nicely with Sophie.

Out of the names you listed Joseph Kai is my favorite. How about Michael for a middle name? That is my sons middle name and it seems to flow well with a variety of first names.

I think now I've been calling him Joseph more instead of baby (or baby brother as my daughter calls him) I'm pretty sure he will be left as a Joseph. As for the middle name, I think I've given up finding something meaningful and reckon were just going with something else.

All the way through my pregnancy my oh liked the name Harry, it's not a name I like but for a middle name I don't mind so I think if he doesn't want to keep Robert I will let him have Harry.

I too like Joseph Kai and I like that it is Hawaiian like my daughter's and has a water meaning as well but yeah I really don't think oh likes it.

In reality our options are Joseph Kai, Joseph Robert or Joseph Harry

I have a Theodore and an Alistair which I love. I do think Joseph Dylan sounds great together!

I agree Joseph Dylan is nice but oh doesn't like it. I think I will end up letting him have Harry because he tried so hard to get me to let him name our baby Harry all the way through my pregnancy lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->