Name regret :(

L

LilMiss_91

So I finally have to admit it... I hate the name we chose for our daughter.
I should have seen it coming really. I struggled to find names that I liked and never found one that I LOVED. It took several days after she was born to settle and even when I said "yes" to a name combo I felt a niggling doubt. But I felt so pressured with everyone going "no name yet?", "you'll have to decide on something you know!" etc etc.
She just doesn't suit her name at all. I hate it. I try not to use her name unless I can help it because everytime I do say it I literally want to go "BUT IT DOESN'T SUIT HER AT ALL!!!" like a lunatic. And it makes me so sad and also angry at myself for giving her the wrong name!
I've not told anyone because I feel completely ridiculous and feel like no one else will see it as a big deal because everyone else likes the name :/
Anyone else in the same boat?

Sort of... Although I don't feel as strongly as you I sometimes wonder if 'that is my daughters name', and I never felt like that with my boys, they are definitely those names if you get me! She is eleanor, I wanted Eva. Eleanor was the name I loved right from trying for my first son and one of the only names we agreed on. But if I'd been a single parent she would've been Eva!
I think you should talk to your oh/ someone about it. If you feel so strongly maybe you could change it? Do you have another name in mind?

I did, and we changed her name when she was 3/4 months old, we chose a name that neither of us really loved but was the only one we could agree on, from early on I felt that it didn't suit her at all, and I eventually found out that everyone agreed that it didn't suit her. If you're in the uk u can change her name on birth certificate before they are a year old and they are issued with a new one. That's what we did and I'm so glad we did, she's 6 now. Xx

lau did you ever consider changing it/discuss changing it with your OH? I really WANT to talk to him about it, but I'm pretty sure he's going to say that changing it is off the table :/ he can be a bit funny about things like. But I feel the same as you, as in, with my sons name I have never regretted it, I love his name and it totally suits him!
I do have another name that seems to fit better in my head, but I'm practicing with it before I venture into the talk with OH!

MUMOF5 really? So everyone agreed but no one said? I'd hope that my mum at least would say something... which she hasn't, which makes me think the name sits well with everyone else. But I just can't stand it, even hearing other people say it I feel like telling them not to call her that!!

I didn't consider changing it. I don't hate it as much as you hate yours, I do have doubt though whereas I never did with my sons (and one of my sons has a very unpopular name for a baby nowadays). I think Eleanor is quite a formal name for a baby so I hope she grows into it or we'll find a nick name.
Was it a compromise name or did your OH pick?

Can I ask what the name is? not that it matters you know your daughter and know what she does and dosent suit.

I would speak with OH if you feel that strong about it, thats probably a lot easier said than done though, I'm no where near in the same position as you as bubs isnt here yet and we dont even know what we are having but OH is set on Dexter for a boy we chose it previous when we had a MMC I loved it then but now cant stand it but everything else I suggest he says no.

Good luck with the talk I'm sure you will feel better once its out in the open :hugs:

If you'd rather not change it, could you start calling her by her middle name instead, or find a nickname that works from her first or middle? I have a friend who ended up using a nickname of her son's middle which suits him far better than his first name did!

@Lucasmum it's Evangeline, shortened to Evie, Eve or Eva.
BUT, since I last posted I've spoken to OH who was actually fine about changing it. We are changing her name to Daisy :)

Strange you should say that because i have an Evie and i kind of felt like this after she was born it took me a good 6-8 months and now i feel the name suits her but i was worried at the start how quickly id gone off it. Glad you are changing it to something you love. By her 1st birthday people will barely even remember that she had another name

How funny, I commented earlier in the post, my daughters name that we first gave her was Daisy (which I obviously loved), however it just totally ly didn't suite her so we switched her first and middle names round when we changed it on birth certificate to Madeleine Daisy. I'm so pleased that you other half was understanding and that you've got a name that you feel suits your little girl xx

Aw I love Evangeline! Daisy is so cute too! Hope you feel better for changing it :)

@Lucasmum it's Evangeline, shortened to Evie, Eve or Eva.
BUT, since I last posted I've spoken to OH who was actually fine about changing it. We are changing her name to Daisy :)

I love Evangeline but some people suit names and some dont.

I'm glad you were brave enough to talk with hubby I would have dragged it out for weeks getting more and more cross :blush:

Daisy is gorgeous I love that name so glad its worked out for you :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->