Naming a baby after me (her mum)

Olivette

Reaction score
I never thought I'd be posting in this section :haha:

We'd always thought the baby was a boy, and had a lovely boys name picked out and were 100% happy. When we found out the baby was actually a girl, we were stumped for ages! We finally came up with a name we were both happy with (Hubby really liked it, and it grew on me, and I now love it).

My hubby has recently mentioned too me that he'd had another thought on a name and that I should think about it and get back to him. But I have to say I'm totally stumped!!

He has proposed to give the baby a name that is a nickname for my name. Think Jennifer (not my name but as an example) with Jenny and Jen as nicknames. In this scenario imagine my name is Jennifer, but I go by the name Jen and he'd like to name the baby Jenny. Not once has he said that he wants to do it because he wants to name the baby after me. He simply said that he really loves the name.

Now, it's totally down to me if we choose to go for it. He's not put any pressure on and would stick to the original choice if that's what I'm happy with but I just don't know!

My thoughts are this. The nickname would stand well as a main name, and it's a variation of my name so would help with any confusion. People rarely call me by the said nickname so would be fairly unique to her. People name their children after their fathers so should it really feel so strange to do it with the mother/daughter. Also the more I think about it maybe it might be empowering for a girl to bear the name of the person who will be her ultimate role model in life.

That being said - I know we would know all of those were reasons for doing it, but people surely would think that we were simply naming the baby after me and that's not why my husband suggested it, he just really loved the name. Which leads me to think 'does it bother me if people think we've done it to honour me?'.

I think I conclude that it's not just a name that makes a child unique and although I'm sure it helps, she will always be unique and have her own identity. That won't change just because her name is closely linked to mine. It would be done as we love the name, not because it's my name.

Anyway, I'm intrigued to see what you all think. I have a feeling it will be a big no no.

Ox

I dont think it abhorrent or anything in fact in principle its fine but im not a huge fan of juniors so I personally wouldn't as its MY name (which would then be odd to share... especially with someone so close) however its nice to skip a generation and have a grand or great grand mother and daughter share a name but there is no rights to have a grand child named after you so its risky really

if you can have to different nicknames it might be cute, like:

Catherine = Cathy and Kate
Margaret = Marge and Maggie (like the simpsons)
Loralie = Lori and Rory (like the gilmore girls)
Elizabeth = Liz and Beth
Penelope = Penny and Nell
Victoria = Vicky and Tori

etc....

The only time I kinda cringe is when a baby is named after its parent (unless its religiously gone through the family) so say you were Jennifer & was gonna call baby Jennifer I'd be like "nooo" but since your planning on calling her 'Jen' or 'Jenny' I don't see a problem as its pretty much a different name iykwim? You'll be Jennifer & she'll be Jenny..

I hope I made sense :haha:

I think it would be ok, to her and her friends you will be "mum"or "___'s mum". My name is Stephanie and I really like the name Tiffany (but dh wont let me use it) which is really similar, I dont think there's anything wrong with it.

I see nothing wrong with it. If it's a good decision for you, that's all that matters. I personally wouldn't because I hate my name, lol'

I don't see a problem with it at all. Actually, quite the opposite. Why couldn't you name your daughter after yourself. I say if you really love the name for your daughter than go for it. Anyone has a problem with out, who cares? Not their baby.

I honestly don't like juniors so wouldn't personally name a daughter after myself, but I knew a girl who had the same name as her mom. I didn't think it was weird or odd or anything.
I almost think, though, that it would be "odd" (I use this term loosely) to name her a nickname version of your name, and not just the full name. If your OH's name is Matthew for example, would you name LO Matt?
The example that you give "Jen" or "Jenny" don't seem to be proper names IMO if that makes sense? Would you want her to be Dr. Jenny Blank or Dr. Jennifer Blank?
However, if it is a different name such as Victoria with Vicky or Tori as NNs I could see a Dr. Tori Blank.
I dunno, now I'm rambling. I hope you see the point I'm trying to make though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->