• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Naming etiquette question

thestarsfall

Reaction score
So when I was ttc my son I knew what I was going to name a boy should our first be a boy... But I didn't know what to do for a girl's name... So I picked one and loved it. I wanted to use my family as inspiration since the boy's name is my husband's family names...

So I picked Charlotte as the feminine of Charles which is both my father's and late grandfather's name... And then Elizabeth which is my middle name.

So then Duchess Kate went and used that but whatever that's not my issue lol...

I conceived my son and when I knew it was a boy I knew the name. The only problem is that in the mean time my brother in law started dating a girl named Charlotte... And then they got married this past August. I'm now expecting a girl and I don't know if I can used that name.

Would it be weird? Should I scrap it? Should I ask her if it's OK?

The other thing is that I would use nicknames more than the actual name whereas she goes by the full name usually.

Help?

I'd use it. And if she assumes baby is named after you tell her why you picked the name. I wanted Michael for DS2 but it was just going to create issues within the family I didn't bother. While I don't dwell on it I wish I had used an alternative form now,

I don't think I would be able to personally.

Yeah I wouldn’t use it, what if they end up getting married, then it’s just confusing. Plenty of great names out there so I’m sure it won’t be hard to find something else you like.

I would use it, it wouldnt bother me in the slightest. I dont seewhy it would be confusing at all and it has a sentimental meaning behind it for you.
Elizabeth Charlotte is equally as beautiful if you reverse it too and Elizabeth has so many nicknames such as Libby, Eliza, Lizzy, Beth etc.

I would use it. I personally don’t give a fig about the names of people in my family and if someone “stole” a name I was wanting I would still use it anyway and not care one bit about other people’s opinions.

I would use it. You have history with that name. It's beautiful and it's not at all uncommon, so it doesn't seem odd. If it were an uncommon name, that'd be a different story.

I have a new coworker and her son has our potential boy name, but it's my maiden name so I guess they'll just have the same name!:dohh:

I would use it tbh, I'd maybe just bring it up in conversation casually that you were always going to name your daughter Charlotte and share the significance behind it. Should be no big deal.

I have a friend whose 21 and her auntie named their baby the same name as hers (so she has the same name as her first cousin) She was excited when she heard the name even though she wasn't necessarily named after her, she just thought it was nice that they loved her name enough to use it for their own daughter all these years later.

I would use it, can't see any issues and I'm sure she would be happy with it too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->