Naming my daughter Loki?

Asgard

Reaction score
So I posted this on Waiting to Try because I'm only seventeen and I'm definately not trying to have a baby, lol, I just wanted some legit opinions about this baby name, but that was before I realized there was a baby naming section so I should have put it here :/ If anyone can please tell me how to delete that other thread I would greatly appreciate it. Anyway, my friends and I were talking about it the other night and I have so many names that I like, and one of them for a little girl is Loki Arianna...and I've been discouraged by many for wanting to use it but I think it's pretty. My only problem seems to be that my friends are all, you only want to name her Loki because you're in love with Tom Hiddleston and the fact that Loki is a boy in mythology and in Marvel comics put them off. Before I go any further I will say that yes, I AM in love with Tom Hiddleston and his portrayal of Loki, but honestly thats not my only reasoning. When I fell for Marvel's Loki (and I fell hard) I decided to do all sorts of research, and for the last year or so I've been reading and researching all about Loki the Norse god, and both versions of Loki are so intiguing and interesting. I'm just fascinated by it all and Loki did take the fom of a women in some of the myths...and to me it sounds feminine. I just dont see there being much wrong with naming a little girl after the one of the most important Gods in Norse history, I mean, without Loki so much never would have happened. What do you guys think and is it good for a girl? Thanks

I love the name Loki - I had a puppy that I named Loki a few years ago!! It fit the naughty puppy perfectly since it also means the "god of mischief." We needed to re-home the pup and his new owner re-named him Rex! I guess she didn't like the name - which I personally think is awesome!!

I never considered it for a girl - but I like it! I think it works well! Loki Arianna is very nice! :thumbup:

Plus, I LOVE Kevin Smith - and the name Loki (played by Matt Damon) is the name of one of the main characters in DOGMA. If you've never seen it - you def should!! Great movie!!

To me, its very masculine. By name alone I would always assume it was a boy.

Aww I bet he was a great puppy! Thank you so much, it's so reassuring that you like it. I just thought it was also cute that Arianna means Chaste or Very Holy One and then Loki is the god of mischief, it would be like my daughter's name meaning "Holy Goddess of Mischief". No I haven't seen that movie but now I totally want too, thanks for the recommendation :D

Thank you for your honesty :) Do you like it as a boys name?

I like it for a boy! Unique.

If you have your heart set on it for a girl, you should use it :flower: No one likes my names in my family, but I feel like me and hubbys opinions are all that matter!

I understand that!! Everytime I'm like "hey dad, I was thinking if I ever had a kid I'd name it..." and he never fails to roll his eyes and beg me not too lol. I think it's very true that you and your husband should just listen to your own hearts, and I've heard that once you hold him/her in your arms the first time you just know the right name ^^

I think it works for a girl :). When I hear Loki I automatically think lochia, which puts me off lol, but other than that I think it's a fine name :)

I think it's an unusual, but cute, name for a boy. Not sure I'd use it as I'm not sure I can see it fitting an adult rather than a small child. Definitely too masculine IMO for a girl, but that may not bother you. Be prepared for everyone who's only seen the name to assume she's a boy.

I don't dislike it, would also assume it's a boy though. Short for lochlan is the only time I've ever heard the name x

I would just think you had a bit of a Thor obsession and couldn't wait to have a boy...

I like that it has meaning for you, but I'd assume it was a boy. Also, wasn't Loki one of the fallen angels from 'Dogma?'

^ you might be right im sure someone told me the girl I knew called Loki was named after an angel

I mispronounced it for ages though until someone corrected me lol... I thought it was Lock-ee not Low-Key

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->